Higgins Goes the Distance

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vintage stuff is hard to find around here.I'm constatly looking out for stuff around here.So when I stumbled on this I had to have it.
moms_pic_004.jpg

The guy wanted $150, I would have paid $300 for the sticker on the tank but stayed cool and got him to $100.
It rained all summer here so I tore it down to start the build but when it finally got nice I threw it back together with what I had so I could ride it.
bikes070.jpg

bikes072.jpg

This will probabably be a slow build since I have a lot to learn and can't get a hold of stuff very easy.But this will be the inspiration.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AMh2Ho346c
I want it to look like it had a hard day at the dirt oval but is aching to get back out there.

The frame will be bare metal and everything else will revolve around the tank.

Very cool looking bike…
I’m digging that tank, those pipes coming out of the side, war bird style, just great.
Can’t wait to see how she turns up.

i like the grill over the back tire. are ya putting it back on the bike?

Frame and forks will be raw with some other raw metal touches.I mocked some stuff up tonight.I'll try to get pics up before the weekend.I've got a long work week this week :x so I'm trying to plan ahead so I can make the most out of Sunday.

sweet bike, but i have to agree with everyone else... you should really leave the rear fender and grill. if that were my bike i'd probably restore it as best i could, flip it and buy a bunch more rusty bikes.

I had little time yesterday to do a quick mock up to see what direction I'm going to go with this.It should answer some questions too :) .
The tank will stay almost untouched.I sprayed the interior with undercoating,cleaned and clearcoated the exterior,and added a new tank horn.

bikes011-2.jpg

I mocked up the chainguard at work inbetween cars.
bikes005.jpg

The stripe will be bare metal and black check.I have 4 different reds to try and match the fade on the tank.The gaurd and fenders are a little beat,I'm going to leave them that way and distress the paint.All of the white tape represents where real pinstripes will go.Fenders will be heavily bobbed and receive the same paint treatment.All of the green stuff in the before pic was taken off a donor by the guy I bought it from.The skirt guards were jammed into the frame and didn't really fit.I'm not sure but I think there for girls bikes :? and won't return to this one.

I want to imitate the scallops with pinstripes leaving bare metal on each side of the pinstripe.
bikes006.jpg

And maybe a little fancier here.
bikes008.jpg

I also have this decco stem allegedly from a Hiawatha I will be using.
bikes010.jpg

I have a couple other things in mind and hopefully can get something done this weekend.
bikes003.jpg

Hopefully I'll be bobbing the fenders at work tommorow.I am also going to put a cut on the chainguard to get rid of some of red and streamline it a little more.
You guys have been a great help and all opinions are welcome.Thanks for looking. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Finally got something done :eek: !!!!Work has been nuts but I made good use of the extra hours and talked the new paint guy into making me some paint to match the red fade on the tank :wink: .I trimmed down the chain guard,sanded and strawed the rims,borrowed a friend's paint gun and layed it down.
bikes048.jpg

The red in the tank was half way to orange due to fading and I couldn't get close with a spray can.A Dunkin Dounuts run netted me enough paint to do the whole bike if i wanted to.
bikes053.jpg

I wanted to lay some checkers down but knew I'd lose my mind trying to get it right taping and painting so I found some stickers close to the square I needed and sprayed them with a black carpet dye I use at work detailing cars.
bikes055.jpg

Because the dye soaks in to the paper it didn't chip when I peeled the stickers and I could place and move them all I wanted.
bikes056.jpg

Tommorow I am going to distress the chain guard a little and clear coat.I also put a semi-polish on the frame and got it clear coated.I have a crap ton of parts coming early next week and things should get fun.It's crazy raining here but hopefully I can get a mock up pick up sunday.Again thanks for all the help guys :mrgreen: :mrgreen: .

Ran out and grabbed some of these allen heads and tapped all the small holes for them.They spin in and out tighter and faster with fingers for less time in the pit.Plus I think they look cooler.
bikes012.jpg

bikes030.jpg

I keep submitting instead of previewing :oops: .Any way the sun came out enough for a quick mock up.I distressed the guard to try and match the tank.
bikes029.jpg

Tires are on the way.I think I am going to go fenderless but I'm not sure.I can't wait until parts start showing up.

I am in love with those frames and tanks. Somebody here (yeshoney?) did one up with a bit more bare metal. I'm diggin the red and steel look.

Thanks.I love Yeshoney's stuff too 8) .I got a New Departure front hub in yesterday, so it was time to learn how to lace a rim.
bikes033.jpg

bikes035.jpg

Thanks to Rat Rods tutorial it went together pretty easy.Definatly not as scary as I thought it would be.Big props to Steve for a great tutorial.I still have to fine tune it but it is actually a lot truer than I would have expected for my first time.
bikes038.jpg

I am extremly happy with it and can't wait to get the rear hub in. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Cool. I love the tank and what you have done with the chain guard and the wheels look perfect with it. This is going to be one sweet bike when it's finished.

Back