Help me identify this J.C. Higgins

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked this J.C. Higgins bike up and need help identifying year and model (maybe a jetflow?) so I can restore it with missing parts.

Stamped on the bottom of the frame under the crank is:

MOSU
MOD-502 45460

100_1093_00.jpg

Also wanted to know the best way to restore the seat. The springs & hardware are perfect, the seat itself (sheet metal) is rusted pretty bad, can't get the 2 pieces apart to have it re-upholstered.. Maybe bondo or Fiberglss to get the shape back?

Any help appreciated.

thats what i based my bike called "the higgins" on. i built it back in 2006 and it is still my fave bike. i love this frame it is funny that more of these have been poping up lately. do a search or maybe someone who is better at finding pics can find one of mine

looks to be a color flow,but i could be wrong ,i was wrong once before :lol: welcome to the forum !.dont remember seeing your intro ?

were there boys color flows? a collector told me only the girls bikes were the color flows. i call it the most bestest bestest frame to do a kustom on is what i tink!! :D

A.S.BOLTNUT said:
looks to be a color flow,but i could be wrong ,i was wrong once before :lol: welcome to the forum !.dont remember seeing your intro ?

Thanks--Just getting into this, not sure where you do the intro.

at the top of the forum where it says intros. oh and i found pics of my bike check it out

1000598.jpg

1000597.jpg

1000682.jpg

the seat should have 2 pans. youll probably have to remove all the springs, and then i imagen there will be a couple metal taps you have to unfold. once thats done, restoration is easy.

use contact cement on your padding and fabric (i use old leather/ jackets etc)apply it to both your fabric and seat pan. give it a good 20 mins to tack up before sticking the pieces together. the contact cement will allow you to get a nice tight fold over the edge of the pan and the bottom pan will hold it all in place.

heres a couple of the seats i've done this way. see the taps that hold the pans together?
IMG_2693.jpg

SN850093.jpg

IMG_0998.jpg

IMG_4719.jpg

IMG_1088.jpg

Wow, that looks great!
I really dig the beehive springer.

That's one of my favourite frames...one of my favourite springer forks too...and seat! :D It's an absolutely beautiful bike, great job!

Latest posts

Back