HAUL-iN ! CustomCycleTruck (Finished)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You used all flux core wire right?
Does it seem to hold up well?

You used all flux core wire right?
Does it seem to hold up well?
yes and yes :) i am even suprized of how strong only just 2 or 3 tack is .. my concern is how brittle is the frame , i might have to reheat the stays slowly to soften them up , cause as of now , i cant even cold set it , it just won't budge , i would prefer that it flex/bend , not crack/split if it has to move

I've been told pre heating the metal before welding is a good idea with flux core, but I've never used it.
I'm curious how it'll work out.

reinforced the rack and cut an emblem :D
DSCN6634_zpsfwvxx9vv.jpg

the reinforcements also serve as emblem protection ''kind of''
DSCN6635_zpsntev9mdr.jpg

next step is making a stand , ive been thinking alllllllot! on how to make it , but not sure yet:39:

same for the rear pegs for long cargo :headbang:

I've been told pre heating the metal before welding is a good idea with flux core, but I've never used it.
I'm curious how it'll work out.
ive read the same , pre heat help stick and penetrate the welds , reheat is suppose to temper/remove brittleness/soften the welds , i guess i don't loose anything to try it :nod:

You are getting that baby dialed in! Bracing fits like a glove....I still can't picture this thing painted .....that industrial look seems to fit this build well...open welds, steel, rubber :nod:

You are getting that baby dialed in! Bracing fits like a glove....I still can't picture this thing painted .....that industrial look seems to fit this build well...open welds, steel, rubber :nod:
nah ,not my style , and i don't want it to rust and be somewhat civilized for city ... with all the joints smooth and a good choice of color it will be nice too , you'll see:wink1:

Last edited:
Oh yeah, not worried about it turning out well. I just get a image in my head and it's hard to get out!

lots of work got done today :nod:
-pegs +paint
-pegs mounts
-3s hub cable routing
-chain guard modification and sanding
-and guard mounts
-rack welding and smoothing the welds
:whew:

metal work on a wood lathe again :bigsmile:
DSCN6645_zpsdk0h0kdx.jpg

changuard originally had the mouting holes at mid curve up front , patched the holes and made new ones ,i cut the back end to fit snug around the stays and add styling , hamered the lower curve in the front part (close to BB) to give clearance for the sprocket pin and sanded all smooth
DSCN6642_zps4qrfzzpv.jpg

DSCN6644_zpsu53puj3p.jpg

welded a cable routing tunel and a cable tention adapter
DSCN6643_zpspm5aeukl.jpg
DSCN6641_zpss3r5eprk.jpg

re used the original mount front the chain guard (from the same Torpedo bike i got the 3speed hub). had to cut and massage it a little bit to make it nice and fit
DSCN6646_zpst8epeyti.jpg

:113:

yesturday i recived a metal/ginder piece in the eye ,deeply embeded, had to go to hospitals to have it removed :arghh:no damage to my vision:113:
but iam in pain , and have been prescribed to not work in dust for a week :oops::blackeye:

so no updates untill next week :hi:
always wear safety glass (good ones), even just for brush painting , had some in the eye while painting the trailer too:(

Last edited:
Had the exact same thing happen to me years ago. Sucked but got through it. Rest up and get some better eye protection!
B.J.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good the hear it wasn't catastrophic. Let it heal, then get back to work.
And wear glasses next time.

Take it easy! Hope it heals fast so you can get back at it!

Had the exact same thing happen to me years ago. Sucked but got through it. Rest up and get some better eye protection!
B.J.

Thanks guys!

For sure! since i cant work and have a hard time staying inactive, ill be on the hunt for the perfect eye wear ,
ideal criterias:
-confortable
-cover all around the eye
-Transition lenses(auto tinting) to use indoors and out
-that won't fall when i lean forward , with an elastique like snowboard googles
-stylish and not bulky to wear on bike rides and other situations

(edit) motorcycle glasses seems to be what i am going for, they have safty lenses/style/elastic band/sealed frame with ventings
pyramex-v3g-safety-glasses-goggles-with-black-frame-and-indoor-outdoor-anti-fog-lens-15__58006.1448997470.386.513.jpg

Last edited:
Take care man , I been there my self more the once . You have to wear the glasses stop and take the time to find them before starting any work . I like those goggles because glasses don't always work .

Take care man , I been there my self more the once . You have to wear the glasses stop and take the time to find them before starting any work . I like those goggles because glasses don't always work .
yeah regular glasses don't cut it for me, if its not all around protection , its just half good ,i constantly get stuff in the eye , glasses or not , and yeah , i constantly searching were i left them last time .. thats were the eslatic band would be practicle , i could just drop them on my neck instead of removing them every time

Just ordered them , but they won't be there till end of june:arghh:
pyramex-v3g-safety-glasses-goggles-with-black-frame-and-indoor-outdoor-anti-fog-lens-15__58006.1448997470.386.513.jpg

pyramex-v3g-safety-glasses

I may have to order a pair my self . Being in the remodeling business I'm always cutting something wood , tile , metal . Well worth the investment [emoji1303] they would look cool when I'm ridding my board tracker also ...

i Lied ! here is progress :giggle:
the eye is recovering slowly but surely:thumbsup:
can't go to work , can't grind and weld , can't really bike , but iam just not able to stay put in front of a cpu all day , so i did some non dusty work on the bike:) (with eye protections);)

Filed the paint in the drillium crank and clear again
DSCN6652_zpstfn0pxyf.jpg

Re-heat the stays and critical joints on the frame and fork to remove stress in the metal , ajusted the dropouts width at the same time .
it was cool to see the stays collor changing ,from blue to purple to golden to darker steal collor ,then at some point all the stays were dark and only the welds showed up gold , looked like tiger skin almost :13:continued till everything was the same.

I put a little bondo on the fork and primed it
DSCN6650_zpsdbg2hrb3.jpg
DSCN6651_zpsu6tqtvgd.jpg

also 3Dplaning the stand , i had tha idea of making it look like a truck or muscle car front grill while thinking about putting lights on the front and needing a stopper for the stand ... still don't know how im gonna make it hold when folded up or release it down without getting of the bike:39:
Stand_zpsoifafppo.png

planing to paint the chain guard but leaving some steel showing through graphics
Built%20Not%20Bought%20decal_zpsmbhzc62i.png

i don't remember recieved any answer to my mail asking if its Ok to use the RRB logo .. hopping it does not cause any problems:blush:

Last edited:
Back