HAUL-iN ! CustomCycleTruck (Finished)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
decided to change the rack mount from the drawing i did , the 2support tubes going up would be in the way(to wide) to haul long cargo on the sides of the bike between my legs .. also changing to smaller diameter thicker walled tubing too... going for classic cycle truck basket mount alike ...

should post some progress pics tomorrow afternoon

they says a picture says 1000 words , well here's6000 words of progress:nod:
DSCN6616_zpsheiqr0sn.jpg
DSCN6622_zpsxyw9cj3n.jpg
DSCN6621_zpsmfkppnqm.jpg
DSCN6623_zpsbtbnzidi.jpg
DSCN6617_zpsutzodfz8.jpg
DSCN6619_zpsyjj5i0yu.jpg

That's quite a rack you've got there! Metal or wood for the top?

That's quite a rack you've got there! Metal or wood for the top?
still not sure , pvc sheet ? metal would be to flimzy or heavy imo

I guess it depends on what you might haul in the 'haul in'....
I think a ratina-ed piece of diamond plate sheet metal would be really cool. Maybe you can add a couple of cross braces through the rectangle holes in your middle posts, with spacers to level it with the top of your rails. Do you have something like a Home Depot near you? They have sheets available on-line as well in 2 x 2 and 2 x 4 sizes.

I guess it depends on what you might haul in the 'haul in'....
I think a ratina-ed piece of diamond plate sheet metal would be really cool. Maybe you can add a couple of cross braces through the rectangle holes in your middle posts, with spacers to level it with the top of your rails. Do you have something like a Home Depot near you? They have sheets available on-line as well in 2 x 2 and 2 x 4 sizes.
not ratina on this one ,sorry , diamond plate is a great idea , but ill wait to see if i (Find) something good to make the bed out of , as i try to keep budget as low as possible and recycle as much as possible . yes rack is not finished yet , need reinforcements , but i need a stand too , i wana hide it under the rack , so i have to think of how every thing will go togetter

Turning out great !!!! Love the look of the rear triangle & the break placement . That rack is pretty tough also . Great for work or pleaser , tool box or 12 pack [emoji848]
I like the idea of he plexiglass tinted on the bottom side and a weathered wood trim around the edges...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tool box or 12 pack [emoji848]
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Both ! :nerd: ill try to keep away from using wood if i can , need something thin/stif/durable and not to heavy

I like the old sign idea. You could weld some different ones together, then cover it all with a shiny coat of one color paint. Old and new mixed together!

I like the colored plexi idea, I've thought about it for fenders; which I'll do one day.
Was thinking an old radio flyer tub might work, but it'd be a bit heavy.

Like how the rack follows that center straight tube. Something like this could be handy for hauling.

61thQ5RU9RL._SX522_.jpg
i have better plans :wink1: i found a huge cage/fence the other day:) , but the rack is esentially a flatbed that anything will be bolted on

Last edited:
I like the old sign idea. You could weld some different ones together, then cover it all with a shiny coat of one color paint. Old and new mixed together!
not to common to find these around here ,but might be a idea to check if there is a aluminum sheet at the metal yard tho :39::nod:

If you can get cedar, it's cheap, light, easy to work, and looks great (particularly the red cedar). Not the toughest wood, but that's what finishes are for (I've made my kayak paddles from it and they're fine with just shellac on them, as seen below, though one is in the car).

If you can get cedar, it's cheap, light, easy to work, and looks great (particularly the red cedar). Not the toughest wood, but that's what finishes are for (I've made my kayak paddles from it and they're fine with just shellac on them, as seen below, though one is in the car).
if i do use wood , it would be 1/4inch baltic-birch plywood and would be painted to look like its not even wood :giggle:

Speeking of wood (pressure treated wood) , i finished rescuing the trailer , just need to mount the lights back on :cool2:
DSCN6633_zpsh1lujoa9.jpg

also put the wheels back on the bike to test drive it going down the slight inclined street , seems to turn pretty good ! , then again , i had no weight on the rack and was not going fast , but feels like it will be a great rider so far:whew:
DSCN6632_zpsoapgqtkd.jpg
DSCN6631_zpsioqq8hhp.jpg

Last edited:
Back