Harlequin T - FINI (or not)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't test ride it downhill, OK?
Hahahahahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Haha brother, I'm up here in the corn belt. It's all flatlands. Best hill I could come up with within riding distance is a little trail down to the river which I won't be riding this on anyway, or a run over to a highway overpass. Weeeeee!

[emoji450]L Carl.

page 12 wall art...
KIMG0463.JPG

[emoji450]L Carl.

As my Shakesbeerean friend would say:
"That's cooler than dangit!" :113:

Looks great Carl! This is a parade bike for sure. I'm still kind of feeling some low, long exhaust pipes emanating from the rear BB shell....you know, give the bike that 'long drawn out look'.
Because it doesn't have that at all right now....
:21:

As my Shakesbeerean friend would say:
"That's cooler than dangit!" :113:

Looks great Carl! This is a parade bike for sure. I'm still kind of feeling some low, long exhaust pipes emanating from the rear BB shell....you know, give the bike that 'long drawn out look'.
Sometimes suggestions miss the point, like the tiller bars miss that it's a T-Bucket and needs the vertical steering. o_O Other times suggestions get my mind wandering and thinking about how I can incorporate the ideas into the dreams I already have for this bike.
Ever see one of those little plastic horns that you could set your phone into and project the sound from? Ever see those vertical pipes on the back of a semi? What about the bluetooth speakers I was thinking of putting in the shells? How am I going to bend the tubes to go from the shells to up behind my rack, to end behind my head so that I can hear the tunes and look like exhaust pipes?
Thanks for the idea brother. Now I got my head spinning around with "how to's"...

[emoji450]L Carl.

Last edited:
Sometimes suggestions miss the point, like the tiller bars miss that it's a T-Bucket and needs the vertical steering. o_O Other times suggestions get my mind wandering and thinking about how I can incorporate the ideas into the dreams I already have for this bike.
Ever see one of those little plastic horns that you could set your phone into and project the sound from? Ever see those vertical pipes on the back of a semi? What about the bluetooth speakers I was thinking of putting in the shells? How am I going to bend the tubes to go from the shells to up behind my rack, to end behind my head so that I can hear the tunes and look like exhaust pipes?
Thanks for the idea brother. Now I got my head spinning around with "how to's"...

[emoji450]L Carl.
Dude... I rarely say that word, but dude. That's gonna be awesome.

One little suggest from OJ, and that's where your brain goes.... Man, I might have to borrow that idea one day.

I'm still kind of feeling some low, long exhaust pipes emanating from the rear BB shell....you know, give the bike that 'long drawn out look'.

I'm usually not a big fan of fake exhaust pipes on a bicycle, but Mr Job's onto something :nod:

Many a T bucket has chrome (or not chrome) 'header' pipes or 'lakes' pipes. So what about something like this...

HarlequinT_SidePipe.jpg

I think that's what OddJob is suggesting and I second it.

Should be easy-peasy for a man of your substantial talents :)

:dontmentionit:

I'm usually not a big fan of fake exhaust pipes on a bicycle, but Mr Job's onto something :nod:

Many a T bucket has chrome (or not chrome) 'header' pipes or 'lakes' pipes. So what about something like this...

View attachment 45303

I think that's what OddJob is suggesting and I second it.

Should be easy-peasy for a man of your substantial talents :)

:dontmentionit:
That's "Mr Job" to you Glen....:21: JK!

And, to add to Glen's suggestion and your desire for the tunes projecting towards your ear; what if the end of the pipe was cut at a slant so the sound would project up towards the seat as the end of the pipe appears to be about in line with your noggin' when ridin'.

And these powered bluetooth speakers can get LOUD. So I don't think they have to be right at your head level; but shooting in that direction would be nice.

If the actual speaker is mounted in the front open BB, the tunneling effect will be huge by the time it exits the rear! Should have a lot of low and mid range. Some smaller holes along the top ahead of the end would let some of the high end pitches out ....:nerd:

Ok so anything protruding from the front BB won't do. Pedal clearance you know, actually my heel. I checked.
As far as the volume on a bluetooth speaker set I know a little about them although I haven't bought one to disassemble yet. I like to listen to the Black Keys channel I created on Pandora. Wasted most of my day cleaning in the garage and you can't even tell! o_O But I did get a little done to the Harlequin T.
KIMG0465.JPG

Got my rear bumper mounted. It's not the original spur I had. That one proved too hard to tap into, I think it is stainless steel. So it's on a shelf and this is another spur I found...

Guitarl.

Do a little bit everyday...
So I got my weld on the rear gear.
KIMG0471.JPG

Then I got JB Weld on the threads holding the front gear on the half hub, that I set in a tube with a pinch bolt. (I still need to JB and set screw the hub half into the tube I cut from some thickwall to take the place of the stem)
KIMG0466.JPG

So I had to assemble it again. (I just had to...) The JB Weld holds the gear fine but the half hub slips a bit in the tube with the pinch bolt (hence the need for JB there and a set screw to make sure) I can't weld it because the hub is alloy and the tube is steel and I'm not that good... but I did pedal it down the driveway!
KIMG0474.JPG

Yeah there's gonna be a learning curve with this thing. You know that fork is elbow-ee, and the steering is quick. It also needs a bit of shim in the steering column to frame socket...
KIMG0473.JPG

Did I mention I pedaled it down the driveway?
Yeah, there definitely gonna be a learning curve!

[emoji450]L.

Cue Bobby Darin....
"Oh, the shark, babe, has such teeth, dear
And it shows them pearly white
Just a JACKKNIFE has old MacHeath, babe
And he keeps it, ah, out of sight."

That's not even funny.
I don't like being so negative. But I can always go back to tiller steering like all the old Grampa's wanted me to, and build a bike like everyone else. We still have 7 or 8 weeks left.

[emoji450]
Or you could go crazy and do away with hand steering all together.
I steered my first recumbent with my feet.

I love the rack turned back rest, reminds me of organ pipes a little, a bit of a Munsters' vibe to it. View attachment 45294
Funny, I thought the same thing!
Yeah there's gonna be a learning curve with this thing. You know that fork is elbow-ee, and the steering is quick. It also needs a bit of shim in the steering column to frame socket...
Here's another thought for you: What if you increase the cog size by a couple of teeth on the front? That will temper the quick steering and might eliminate the half link at the same time. If you're lucky you might hit just the right tension on the chain also.

Funny, I thought the same thing!

Here's another thought for you: What if you increase the cog size by a couple of teeth on the front? That will temper the quick steering and might eliminate the half link at the same time. If you're lucky you might hit just the right tension on the chain also.
X2

I was thinking the same thing on the steering, ratio on this setup is a gear change away.

I just went back to an earlier picture and discovered that you have different size cogs on it. I assumed that they were the same.
index.php

I can see now why the steering is quick! Maybe you intended it this way. If not, you could reverse this ratio to slow the steering down.

Latest posts

Back