HARD LUCK (7/30 done final update)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: HARD LUCK (7/2 frame is painted PICS NOW UP )

Purdy!

trying real hard not too make it too pretty but with that skiny flake under the clear it is sooooo hard. thanks for the comments working on it today more pics tonight

It would be a crime not to lay down some classic lettering over that wood panel. :wink:

you know since i stained it and put it back in (pics to come soon) i have been back and forth bout lettering the tank

Re: HARD LUCK (update... tank from trash )

stretch said:
cheesesteak? or cheesecake? :lol: never heard of a cheesesteak
YO THEY HAVE EM IN YA GROCERS FREEZER NOW,BUT CHEESECAKES GOOD ALSO. THAT COLOR IS HOT!! PAT'S OR GINOS?!? FLIP A COIN. SOUTH STREET (JIMS) ALSO..AS LONG AS IT'S GREASY. :mrgreen: Mmmmm PEACE

karfer67 said:
you know since i stained it and put it back in (pics to come soon) i have been back and forth bout lettering the tank
Say it aint so, Say it aint soo! :shock:

the pics dont do the paint justice i am amazed how well it came out for a rush job. i will tell u what valspar clear gloss is amazing stuff. and dont worry nickle i am going to letter it i spent a lot of time last night looking at different styles and i found something i like. i am just glad its painted and most of the heavy fab is done now its all about the detail stuff

karfer67 said:
the pics dont do the paint justice i am amazed how well it came out for a rush job. i will tell u what valspar clear gloss is amazing stuff. and dont worry nickle i am going to letter it i spent a lot of time last night looking at different styles and i found something i like. i am just glad its painted and most of the heavy fab is done now its all about the detail stuff
Sounds like a plan 8)

letting her sit for one more night before the pinstriping madness begins i laid down a lot of clear so i want to make sure it is hard. still torn on colors but i think i have some ideas. and going to do a little tribute on the bike to one of my idols von dutch. was going to start today but was cleaning the house then loaded up the higgins and went down to stockton to ride with tony friends and my club. it was way hot but mmmmmmm it makes cold beer taste that much better.

I gotta give you Mad Props for the stripping you did on Tumbleweeds fender and chaingaurd....
Can't wait to see what you do on this bike,and tank....

Keep it goin Adam. No squinting here and diggin the wheel. Absolute contender.

Your paint job came out fantastic.
What a great color! 8)

Can't wait to see the color and type of pinstriping.

Good Luck

like i said the pinstriping has started. i decided to start with the eyeball as it was gonna be fun to do. doing things like this is fun because once i get the shape worked out it is just speed pinstriping laying color on color till it looks right. i went with some non traditional colors as the color of the frame hid red and one of my oranges. here we go i will show how i laid the colors down one by one.

001-17.jpg

this is where i am at the paint is hard tank is back in crank is in headsset cups in too

002-17.jpg

i start with the eye as it will be the center and the wings come off it from there

003-17.jpg

then the outer edge of the wing as the feathers will come off these

004-15.jpg

005-15.jpg

006-14.jpg

outlines and detail to make it pop

007-14.jpg

then disaster struck. after i did the center of the eye i came back with purple to start laying in the iris but forgot to double wipe my brush. when you lay colors fast like this there is some mineral spirits still in the brush. after you switch colors you have to wipe the brush again then pallet the paint otherwise when you touch the brush to the surface a huge runny blob goes all over the place which is what happened. so i cleaned it off but it destroyed the other lines too. since this was taken i stayed up till 2 am last night redoing the whole thing and it looks fine now. the lesson here is DONT RUSH.

Re: HARD LUCK (7/5 pinstriping and disaster )

Ouch! That is going to look wicked. I am glad I saw the eyeball, because the wings initially reminded me of the ones from Tom Hanks Cast Away movie. A flying eye is WAYYYYY cooler. :D

Re: HARD LUCK (7/5 pinstriping and disaster )

009-8.jpg

here is the fixed eyeball still have to do the center

010-10.jpg

lettering done.....on one side at least it is 102 here today i needed to take a break as the paint just wants to turn to poo in this weather
011-8.jpg

Re: HARD LUCK (7/5 pinstriping eyeball redo and lettering )

Looks decent... you know we were allowed to get professional pinstriping/lettering this year right? :lol: :wink:

Back