Frame plate?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RonK said:
I just hand fab'ed a tank out of .040 perforated aluminum. Trial and error, to say the least! I first tried cutting the metal with my air tool and a cutoff wheel...NO BUENO! Suomi went back to the drawing board, remarked my metal, and cut it with a pair of WISS tin snips. Cuts like butta! You can see what I ended up with in my build thread for #TWENTY2

~Ron
Same here with the cut off wheel. I thought that snips wouldn't work but am trying to "fix" my plate with them now. Seems that there is more control with the snips.

Mine is 26 gauge sheet metal. Thought about trying the cheap "For Sale" signs form Wally world that are alot thinner.

schwinnless said:
I used perforated steel from an old venthood.
Tin snipped out shape, painted it white and trimmed it with car door edge trim.
Made staps out polished alum. floodlight reflector.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=60708
Never thought about using car door edge trim. Brilliant!

What kind of clamp is used to hold the tank in. I have the templete, and material (Sheet metal from ACE hardware), paint. Just trying to find a way to attach it.

Try hose clamps.
Cut off screw thingy part(what is that called?).
Was gonna try that if i didnt like thin ones.
I made some out of pipe strap, but wasnt shiny enuff 4 me.
Would work if painting tho.

Progress report! Cut the plate out of sheet metal and did some light sanding on it to help the primer adhere. Thinking about taping off a design or trying to do a fish scale style design on it using overlapping circles. What would one use to do the small circles that overlap?
2012-09-19_13-17-56_414_zps97b443b5.jpg

I cut mine from 3/4" white oak. I used a router to bevel the edges and two Chicago (sex bolts) to pinch the two pieces to the frame.

photo15-1.jpg

photo31-1.jpg

photo35.jpg

photo-4.jpg

I could have hit them with some filler and sanded more until the grain wasn't visible, but I like the way you can see the grain through the paint.

Turtlesixfour said:
Progress report! Cut the plate out of sheet metal and did some light sanding on it to help the primer adhere. Thinking about taping off a design or trying to do a fish scale style design on it using overlapping circles. What would one use to do the small circles that overlap?
2012-09-19_13-17-56_414_zps97b443b5.jpg
Make a row of fish scales out of cardboard...cut it out and lay it on the panel...dust the edges with spray paint and move it to the next row offset it like a brick patern and spray again....repeat! Very simple once you get the idea down

What gauge steel works the best? I'm guessing 22 is to flimsy? Is 16 gauge thick enough, if so what's the best method for cutting it out? I don't have access to a laser or water jet lol

I used 26 gauge sheet metal and it is plenty rigid enough. Finally got it done and painted! Before:
2012-09-24_13-09-50_32_zps6dcd49ee.jpg
After:
2012-10-25_10-37-21_399.jpg

I found a burl coffee table at a yardsale for ten bucks and used some of the wood to make a nice one for my ride
IMAG0262.jpg

Back