Frame plate?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone done a how to for a "frame plate" or whatever it's called? Trying a cardboard template myself. What is the best(cheapest) metal to use?
2012-04-04_04-26-02_645.jpg

Im thinking about going to one of the sign companies that make the heavy duty realtor signs with that black plastic stock.
Some have used leather straps, or those plumbing straps with or without a rubber liner, others a tight innerframing and oversize 'false tank' panels with throughbolts which kinda pinches all together around the frame tubes.

I snagged some sheet metal off a couple of dryers at the dump.....uh....before I got tossed out...can't be takin' money away from the dump :D

aka_locojoe said:
I use old signs. Aluminum and steel.

So that's what happened to my For Rent signs! @ least you put them to good use! :lol: :lol:

It can be tough getting wood to fill the grain and seal up really weathertight. I had a 1959 mahogany runabout once and found out about 'marine epoxies'; GREAT stuff! Maybe think 'bartop' finishes, too. It can let you use light and easy to work with wood, as mentioned above, even laminate or build tank shapes, and end up with a super strong, smooth and sealed surface for paint.

KC so-cal said:
i made this tank and rack with a harbor freight welder
ratbike022.jpg

Iwant to see more of that VW. 8) 8) 8)
Sorcerer

I am working on a flat tank myself, I am thinking plexie, I already have the templete cut out. plexie is easier to cut than metal, especially when I lack many power tools LOL

I just hand fab'ed a tank out of .040 perforated aluminum. Trial and error, to say the least! I first tried cutting the metal with my air tool and a cutoff wheel...NO BUENO! Suomi went back to the drawing board, remarked my metal, and cut it with a pair of WISS tin snips. Cuts like butta! You can see what I ended up with in my build thread for #TWENTY2

~Ron

last one i made was from some sheet metal cabinets that went with an efficiency kitchen set (sink stovetop fridge combined), before that the sheet metal off an old dryer

Back