Found an Elgin Bluebird via Social Media

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
The power of social media!

I picked up this Bluebird through the craziest series of events. First off...it was found in a barn by my new friend Jay at Reclaimed American. They are one heck of a salvage lumber business! This is what came out of a barn that they were in the process of tearing down. Jay had a good enough eye to pull it out of the barn and buy it from the original owner. Fast forward to a few weeks ago. Reclaimed America found me on Instagram and was able to identify the bicycle they found by a picture of a nicely restored Bluebird I posted several months ago..he commented saying "That's like the one I found". When I saw this comment, I immediately got In touch with Jay and tried to offer him a reasonable amount for it. Jay said he would talk to his wife and get back with me. I'll never forget what he replied with later that night.

"We're wondering how this sounds.... we'll get it ups, send you their number and you pay and arrange shipping through them---as far as the cost of the bike, take whatever you would pay us and pay it forward to someone down your way who might need it more than us! We're pretty blessed already, really like your accent and think Abram Kulp (original owner) would approve! Let us know if that will work for you!"

Of course that worked for me and now this bike is going in my personal collection. I don't plan to do much more than find enough to make it ridable.

The picture of the Bluebird below is how the bike looked the snowy morning it came out of the original owners barn (Where it stayed since it was new)

The bike is only two days away according to the tracking. When the guy at UPS called me he said.."uhhhh someone dropped off an old rusty bicycle and gave me this number to call" I just laughed and said yeah that's mine.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414460784.077805.jpg

Holy schnikeeeez!!!!!!That is gonna be BEAUTIFUL!!!!What are the plans for it!!!!?????

I'm going to try to find a wheel set and crank set but that's about it. Maybe a repop light lens.

I'm going to see if I can use anything to remove the rust from the original paint if it's still there.

A lot of things I could do but I don't have the money to do all I want to do!

Those people picked the perfect person to make that kind of deal with!
You should enter that photo in the photo contest.
Terrific score and story!

Those people picked the perfect person to make that kind of deal with!
You should enter that photo in the photo contest.
Terrific score and story!

Thanks Brian, I would but I already entered! Someone else should enter it! Hahahaha

I'm going to try to find a wheel set and crank set but that's about it. Maybe a repop light lens.

I'm going to see if I can use anything to remove the rust from the original paint if it's still there.

A lot of things I could do but I don't have the money to do all I want to do!

If you have ever done a oxylic acid/wood bleach bath they work really well.If there is still paint on this bike it will bring it back.The OA only eats the rust and does not affect the existing paint that's left.That looks like something def worth building.Id for sure love to find one of these to build!!

"We're wondering how this sounds.... we'll get it ups, send you their number and you pay and arrange shipping through them---as far as the cost of the bike, take whatever you would pay us and pay it forward to someone down your way who might need it more than us! We're pretty blessed already, really like your accent and think Abram Kulp (original owner) would approve! Let us know if that will work for you!"

It's more about the power of blessings instead of social media. Social media is only the vehicle. It's no accident that it's in your hands, I'm sure you will use this opportunity to pass it on wisely. Keep it up!

If you have ever done a oxylic acid/wood bleach bath they work really well.If there is still paint on this bike it will bring it back.The OA only eats the rust and does not affect the existing paint that's left.That looks like something def worth building.Id for sure love to find one of these to build!!
With all do respect : Way way to scarey to try on something like OA to me on somthing like this If mixed wrong it will go wrong .
OA acid never never completely stops working & it eats every bit of rust in sight .. Evapo rust is $20 a gallon & is a much better way to go , But I still would not use that either on something this rare unless you sat there on a chair watching it .. Also if there is any original paint in there Prewar bikes are the ones that tend to loose paint the easiest with either of these methods. Just be careful no pressure lol.. :blush: I have no idea why this smiley sticks his hand out like this??

With all do respect : Way way to scarey to try on something like this .
OX acid never never completely stops working & it eats every bit of rust in sight .. Evapo rust is $20 a gallon & is a much better way to go , But I still would not use that either on something this rare unless you stat there on a chain watching it .. But thats kind of like watching paint dry .. lol.

What about naval jelly? Anyone ever used it on something this rusty?

Latest posts

Back