Found an Elgin Bluebird via Social Media

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GREAT FIND! AWESOME STORY!

Honestly, I wouldn't try to restore this. You'll be looking for YEARS to find all of the missing parts plus the cost of trying to restore this back to anywhere near what it used to look like.

I see this is a GREAT opportunity to build a Bluebird-based hot rod of some kind. Does it still have the speedometer in the tank?

GREAT FIND! AWESOME STORY!

Honestly, I wouldn't try to restore this. You'll be looking for YEARS to find all of the missing parts plus the cost of trying to restore this back to anywhere near what it used to look like.

I see this is a GREAT opportunity to build a Bluebird-based hot rod of some kind. Does it still have the speedometer in the tank?

I'll put it this way. I plan on finding just enough correct parts to make it ridable. If I run across more correct affordable parts then I'll pick them up until it's complete!

Do whatever you want, man. But you would have the only Bluebird Hot Rod Bike in the world. I wish you luck in your search!

DISCLAIMER: I am not suggesting to cut the frame or do anything that can't be "un-done" at a later date.

Do whatever you want, man. But you would have the only Bluebird Hot Rod Bike in the world. I wish you luck in your search!

DISCLAIMER: I am not suggesting to cut the frame or do anything that can't be "un-done" at a later date.

I actually try to collect nice original prewar bikes. I prefer the nice original look over the cut and chopped look.

No worries of that here!

What about naval jelly? Anyone ever used it on something this rusty?
I've never tried it . I do know some old timers swear by using it though. I do think you can really stay in control with the jelly ( Staying in a small area to work with & have control versus dipping your part into a vat all at once.) & that is why people use it. I have put using The Jelly on my to do list but The need hasn't come up lately.

I've never tried it . I do know some old timers swear by using it though. I do think you can really stay in control with the jelly ( Staying in a small area to work with & have control versus dipping your part into a vat all at once.) & that is why people use it. I have put using The Jelly on my to do list but The need hasn't come up lately.

I've used Naval Jelly a couple times now on bikes with that much rust and it worksed great. Do a search for " Naval Jelly Magic " on the site and it'll show before and after pics and give info on how I did it. As you mention having control is exactly why I use it. When you get to a point it's doing too much you wipe it off, wipe down with WD-40 and then full wash.

Good Luck Double Nickle - Awesome find !!!!

I'll put it this way. I plan on finding just enough correct parts to make it ridable. If I run across more correct affordable parts then I'll pick them up until it's complete!
The way I see it, you have a free pass to totally rat it first while you collect the correct parts. I say bolt on what ever you want and have some fun with it! The world has plenty of museum examples of this bike, think Tuco. :happy:

I agree totally. I would never suggest cutting or modifying this frame, but some Linseed Oil and modern components will just enhance the story this bike has to tell of how it ended up in its current state. We all know what a restored one looks like, and quite frankly they all look the same.....
Make this the most unique Bluebird there is, keeping it true to the mysteries as it was found....and make it a rider!

I agree, probably going to go the naval jelly route and linseed what's left of the OG paint.

As far as parts. A correct elgin air cool wheel set would be nice and affordable so that's a must for my me.

[QUOTE="Double Nickle, post: 863662, member: 6923]

As far as parts. A correct elgin air cool wheel set would be nice and affordable so that's a must for my me.

I happen to know where those can be found......;)[/QUOTE]

Back