First Cruiser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, Im 29 year old male from Ontario Canada.
I recently just sold off the last of the mountain bikes in search for something with comfort and style ! I have been on the computer countless hours scouring the internet for the perfect cruiser for me. I have been looking at all the photos of peoples bike on here and wow there are some beauties out there! Im not looking for a project bike I am looking for a new or slightly used cruiser. So far I have been to all local bike shops with only a few places even selling cruisers ! Online is where I have found all the gems. Right now Im at a toss up with a few bikes and was wondering if everyone can submit there opinions, pros/cons etc of the bikes on my list. So far I have fallin in love with these cruisers but all are around 2hr drive to purchase so I was hoping for the feedback before I make the trek. Also I am leaning towards a 3 speed but like alot of the single speeds as well. Is it tough/expensive to convert to a 3 speed internal hub ? Thanks in advance
Electra
straight 8
ratrod
boney finger (although the orange paint job does nothing for me)

Felt
chief
slant
el guapo (I can get this bike for a GREAT deal,the doesnt seem to be many opinions on this bike even on the forums here ? Any reason ? All I have heard is its really heavy!!)

Nirve
Classic
Pyro

Build your own. Then you'll have something no one else has!

I would go ahead and get a three speed if you could rather than upgrading later on, just saves time and $ in my opinion. If your not sure what you want exactly and think you'd eventually change bikes again later on, maybe just do a single speed for now if your pressed for ca$h, but i will say having 3 speeds is nice.

I like the Chief or the Straight 8 (I also like the boney finger, but the Straight 8 seem to be more popluar), nothing bad to say about the others though.

All I can say is every new bike Ive wanted to look at and did looked different in person, but I've always been impressed with Electras and Felts seeing them in person

I dont now if Target stores are as plentiful in Canada as they are here in the states, but you can order Nirve bikes shipped to the Target stores here.

El guapo, The bike is about 58lbs because it has the steel frame. a Felts with aluminum frame would be about 40lbs depending if its a model with fenders and racks or baskets.

Electras are incredibly comfortable to ride as an "adult-sized" person (folks don't realize most old cruisers and their new counterparts were built for young teens, and don't fit people over about 5'9" or 5'10" very well), and are pretty well made as well. I have 4 of them myself. At 6', of the three listed, I find the Straight 8 the best fit to me over the RatRod, but am also not much of a fan of the unfortunately-orange BonyFinger, though it's not a bad ride either.
Have you seen their Relic and Deluxe Cruisers, too? Also vintage-cool looking, and really comfy.
Good luck - you're about to jump into an incredibly fun pastime!

Hammond Eggz said:
Electras are incredibly comfortable to ride as an "adult-sized" person (folks don't realize most old cruisers and their new counterparts were built for young teens, and don't fit people over about 5'9" or 5'10" very well), and are pretty well made as well. I have 4 of them myself. At 6', of the three listed, I find the Straight 8 the best fit to me over the RatRod, but am also not much of a fan of the unfortunately-orange BonyFinger, though it's not a bad ride either.
Have you seen their Relic and Deluxe Cruisers, too? Also vintage-cool looking, and really comfy.
Good luck - you're about to jump into an incredibly fun pastime!

I have to agree with you on the electras. I just purchased my dad a 3 speed electra cruiser and I felt like keeping it. It rides so smooth and its so easy to pedal.

Where are you in Ontario? A couple of those bikes you`re going have a hard time sourcing in Canada, so you`ll have to make allowances for shipping. I`ve sold Electras in the past, and they`re great bikes in general and would reccomend them, although they can be little high priced...

Im located in Kitchener Ontario, I have been looking at buying across the border as Im only an hour away from buffalo and I visit Michigan quite abit. I think the straight 8 is the best fir for me as well but very pricey. I have been looking for a used one but cant find any within a few hours. Also like the Hellbilly. The nirve classic I can get in canada for a good price. Like I said before the el guapo is super cheap right now but the 58lbs scares me as I plan on traveling to campgrounds and such with the bike

If your going to be in a camp ground then I would recommend something like this:

IMG_20101204_141749.jpg

I haven't been to Kitchner but I've ridden in the Oakville/Hamilton Beach/Missauga areas with the FreakBike Militia Golden Horshoe group and I would get a three speed because of the hills that virtually come out of nowheres! I've ridden both singles and multi geared bikes and I will be coming back into Canada this next summer with gears! Some of the guys I ride with have Felts and Electras. Both seem to be very reliable.
Whatever you choose, do it because you like it and not because someone else recommends it.
The greatest bike in the world won't get ridden if the owner doesn't like riding it!
Good Luck,
Chainsaw

Hey goggle Bike4Betty and consider riding in it. There will be a group of us Michigan guys riding in it!

The Electra coaster 3 Speed that I purchased for my dad is only about 28 lbs, thats is if my stupid electronic scale was working properly that time. I can pick it up and balance that thing on 2 fingers for a while. (not the best method to check for weight, but i would probably brake a finger if i tired that on the felt shown above)

this one has the tires that the electra cruiser comes with. My dad is not taking it home till its closer to summer so i am riding it till he takes it home.
action-smiley-035.gif

IMG_2263.jpg

I did get a line on a almost new rat fink today which is nice but I just don't know if I can handle the lime green forever that's why I was hoping for the straight 8. Any wanna trade lol. All I have been hearing is how awesome the ride is on the straight 8 how is the ride on the rat fink ? Whats a reasonable price for a stock fink in mint condition

camps23 said:
I did get a line on a almost new rat fink today which is nice but I just don't know if I can handle the lime green forever that's why I was hoping for the straight 8. Any wanna trade lol. All I have been hearing is how awesome the ride is on the straight 8 how is the ride on the rat fink ? Whats a reasonable price for a stock fink in mint condition

I had the rat fink a few months back. Its a cool ride. I may be wrong on this, but isn't the straight 8 the same setup as the rat fink just that the straight 8 has a 24x3 on both wheels? someone that knows more can chime in and correct me if i am wrong.

I cant be of much help on the price since it can vary what a good deal would be to so many people.

i'd take a trip to backpeddling to see whats available as far as a used cruiser. (or to find the parts to build my own. :) ) they should have lots.

here in london on. theres a few bike stores with a nice supply of cruisers.
would be worth the drive.

I called backpedaling and they have quite a few Nirves instock but no electras. Can you tell me which stores in London have electras ? I only know of two wheels I bought a kona mtn bike there when I was young. I didn't know backpedling had used cruisers.

I don`t know who would have the most Electras in on the floor. It used to be All Seasons, but they`re gone now (R.I.P.).
Village Cycle is a dealer , but doesn`t carry many in stock...

Thanks all !
Great news... I was able to find a Electra Straight 8 brand new at a shop a few hours away. They had it in the shop for almost a year with not much interest. They gave me almost 200off plus the electra 25 rebate !
Woohoo, I have only ridden the bike once and it felt great. Should be fun once the snow clears. Thanks again for all the opinions !

Back