First build name change again.. "Bulli"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: First build Western Flier

Took the cranks off the bike last night, the cups are shot. Looks like they were wore out and someone just kept adjusting them until the cups got so thin they started to crack and bend in. Thats why it clicked every time it was the crank made a revolution. So being new to the mechanical part of the bike, are the cups easy to get a hold of?

IMG_20110731_161939.jpg

Well got some etch primer sprayed on the frame and forks to keep them from rusting, next need to make and weld on the headlight bracket to the forks.

IMG_20110802_211244.jpg

Not alot of time to spend out in the garage right now, but did go out there and put the bike somewhat together so I could try to get a better idea of how to 2 tone it.

Re: First build "Howdy"

Well I named the bike, when I had it stripped down to the metal I noticed someone had put the words Hi Howdy and some numbers after it on the top tube. Hence the name, I did get some done tonight thought first coat of paint!! rims are in etch primer as well, looks like I might have the paint finished this weekend. Nothing to fancy, I've got a couple of bikes to start cutting on though :mrgreen:
P1010974.jpg

I'll get a better pic in the sun tomorrow.

FxCam_1312631381697.jpg

Here is a daytime shot of it you can see the color better. That other picture was after midnight... Its the only time I can work in the garage when my girls are alseep. I'm blessed they are both HEAVY sleepers. :D

Might tape it off today and get the rest of the parts ready for paint. No all I need are some rubber gloves, my hands are covered in paint. I couldn't see really well not to mention I was tired and didn't really care last night. Paint turned out nice, I only got one bug in it. I do need to pick up some clear coat though to finish it off.

I've got the frame taped off. Going to spray it tonight if the girls sleep well lol. I've started making the headlight bracket and decided I didn't like the way the upper fork looked. So going to do some welding later as well. :D
FxCam_1312653317419.jpg

Keep going! I like those frames :D maybe because of the rear dropout :lol:

FxCam_1312695416378.jpg

FxCam_1312695433283.jpg

FxCam_1312695454143.jpg

Ok I'm tired now another long night, but all that is left is clear coat. Well of paint anyways, I've got to put new cups and bearings for steer tube and crank. After that done for good on this one. Bugs in the paint and all lol.

YEAH BABY!! LOOKING GOOD! COLOR IS BOSS!! I TOLD YA PAINTING IT WOULD BE NICE...GET TA BUILDIN'!! PEACE

Well the light is sorta funny I decided I need a larger hole for more leds. So I tried to just break the center near the 3 holes... I failed going to glue it back together then put leds then support it with duct tape :D Hey it will be inclosed no one will see it. I've been planning to spray the clear on it, but its rained every night since Saturday night. So maybe tonight, maybe.

So I was going to buy some new spokes till I saw how much they were..... So got the paint stripper out to these to take the white paint off of them, looks like some of them are pretty rusty though. Trying to decide what to do with them so I can build the wheels. Like I said I'm a budget where I can't really spend any money. Might just have to go to the local bike store and just replace the rusted spokes. I have a bike in the back i was going to take the spokes from, but they are alot thicker and will not fit in the hub holes.

Went to local bike shop talked to the guy, he remembered me from back in my bmx street riding days :D gave me a crap load of free nipples for the spokes and just gave me the cups for the crank. Super nice guy I tried to pay him but he said not to worry about it. So looks like I can take the crank apart get it cleaned up and back on the bike then on to the wheels 8)

Got it all mocked up, I likey :D
FxCam_1313277015189.jpg

Now I need some leather grips and matching leather springer seat. Got me a led flash light to butcher for the headlight while I was out today as well.

Drove it today :D Wife took it for a ride as well. I took it on the 5 mile trip to church rode nicely, much better than what I thought it would. Now I need to save up for the seat I want, this seat has to go back on the 52 hornet thats next in line.
FxCam_1313329052010.jpg

Thats a good lookin bike,Great job :mrgreen:

Well did some stuff to the bike this weekend, I relaced the rear wheel and trued it up better. Also took the seat post and to a pie slice out of it to lean it back. Not to mention stole a seat of another bike I had that isn't being workd on yet. Turned out nice rides nice and wife and I went for ride this weekend, was BEAUTIFUL OUT.
FxCam_1316288725271.jpg

6675ed3e.jpg

I really like it but considering putting some redish brown quick brick tires on it, or something like them. Also thinking about getting a hair pin seat or atleast a older style seat to ad to the "look". Just cant spend any mulla on it right now, so this is going to have to do for now. :D

I absolutely love the paint on this. I'm curious about the bars: are they painted? I can't quite tell in the photos, but I CAN tell that they look great. I think they make the bike.

Nice solution with the headlights, too. I'd spring for the brown QBs. Would look great with the green!

Back