First build name change again.. "Bulli"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So this is the canvas I have to work with. Fix-a-flat in the tubes, run down western flyer. First thing is the mechanics, the crank bearings were clicking like crazy. Took them out and all the bearings but one were missing from the race on the sprocket side... nice.
FxCam_1305994930522.jpg

Re: First build Western Flier

IMG_20110606_172750.jpg

Another shot of it, its already got a sweet rat look to it so not painting anything on this one.

I replaced the bearings but its still clicking... So guessing I should have checked the cups while I was there, after that is sorted the next thing is to check into some different handle bars. Not fond of the ones on there, I did pick up a headlight already though. Its a forklift headlight with a stone guard on it, going to put a battery in the tank and wire it out to the light. Just need to get out the welder and make a bracket for it, trying to decide if I want to hunt down some fenders for it or not...

IMG_20110714_164701.jpg

Here is the headlight Its flat on the back so going to try to get it as close the the stem as I can. I've got to get rid of that seat though its a huge one, want a old school saddle.

Anyone got any good ideas for the bars? Thinking of just making some from scratch I've got a bender I can use. Just on one of those budgets, so far I have 6 bucks into this bike. lol

That style bike with ape hangers....perfect! But I think ANY style bike with ape hangers is ...perfect. :roll:

I starting to lean closer to making the seat sit over the tire, bending the seat post at a 90. Putting some shorty handles bars on it.

nice looking bike .. i would rip all the material off the seat and roll with just the pan .... but im sure any slimmer looking seat will work good...it nice as is no paint 8)

The seat is not going to stay, its a newer seat with a plastic pan.... Doesn't flow with the bike at all. I want a hair pin seat for it, make it look older than it is. Sad thing is the bare metal pan seat on my 52 hornet is just about as comfortable as the seat on this one lol. Hard to find time to work on it though with 2 little girls in the house, going to take the wheels off and paint them red. Need to strip them and clean up the spokes. Buddy who gave it to me rattle canned the wheels and spokes white.

LOOKING GOOD. WISH I HAD A BUDDY GIVING AWAY SUCH NICE BIKES. WET SAND AND PAINT IT. COME ON IT'S $2.OO. JUST MY 3 CENTS. MAYBE YOU SHOULD JUST...GET TA BUILDIN'!!! PEACE

I've got some left over paint from a bus I did awhile back, guess I could spray it palm green/sand green. Just not sure yet, its a 2 stage paint and the clear is a satin finish. I've been lucky so far I've only purchased 2 bikes my wifes 57 schwinn a AMF roadmaster I got at a thrift store. Thats a good thing seeing as I have not alot of money to invest. Got to admit its why I got into bikes(not to mention I enjoy them), the bus I'm doing right now is gathering metal and waiting for more attention. All I got to say is the old saying "When you have time you have no money, and when you have money you have no time" left out the times when you don't have either lol.

Jonathan

Well got all the spokes off and the wheel taken apart, they did NOT want to break loose might need to just replace them all.... On a side not I've got the tank in the sand blaster right now cleaning it up. The original battery mount inside was super rusty. I ground the rivets off and removed it and put it into the trash.. I'm going to convert the sealed beam into LED's, got to drill into the glass and RTV those guy's in place. Question though, has anyone used any battery packs that are small I could mount into the tank? I've got to make a mount for it but have no idea what size I need, or for that fact what all is involved with the led conversion. Got to love treading into new territory with only theory to back you up. :) I did on the other hand start to make a headlight bracket design going to weld it to the upper part of the forks so the light will sit closer to the tire then up high.

That looks nice, wonder how many volts it takes for the led lights to work well. Would the 4.5V light it up well I wonder?

Got parts in the sand blaster right now and getting ready to strip the frame. Going to go ahead and put some etch primer on it. Trying to figure out how I want to 2 tone it right now... I"m thinking of dark pg wheels so the white walls really pop, just got to figure out where else to do the colors.

Well I got some done not alot though, got the paint most of the way stripped off the bike
IMG_20110724_185405.jpg

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic, then I tacked the problem of the sealed beam headlight. I broke the little glass nipple that was in the middle of the electrodes to release the vacuum in the bulb. Then I just got my pliers and gripped the grey part of the nipples and twisted them off. It broke the glass some on the back, but no sharp ends at all and there is enough holes for me to put 3 led bulbs in the back I just hope they will be bright enough.
IMG_20110722_122444.jpg

IMG_20110724_190401.jpg

IMG_20110724_190342.jpg

Back