first build -Magnacruiser-

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I painted the frame with Rustoleum metalic black which came out fairly good, my welds filled with bondo don't stand out. The paint is interesting, sorta semi-gloss with super fine metal flakes, charcoal color with sparkle. I've read how fragile fresh paint is so I'm afraid to even move it, give another day and try to find a place to hang it so I can park my car inside. I think I'll get some steel rod to start the seat back 1/4" or maybe bigger. As far as the windscreen, a simple piece of clear plastic, not sure which kind is best, cut to rounded rectangle shape with aluminum frame for attachment.

Moved the frame to the back yard, got some pics. It looks OK if you don't look too close. I got a lantern battery for the gen/light set I am trying come up with a box (or something) to put it in and mount (hang from top tube or on lower triple tree?) not sure what approach to take at all.
4442552898_6b2b852d7a.jpg

4441773525_ebf9bea158.jpg

4441773869_5e5ca7121a.jpg

UH OH I discovered today that the wire in my HF welder is the original! I thought I replaced it with the Lincoln, but I found that when cleaning up my bench. No wonder it seemed about the same, althogh with alot less spatter, could that be technique? NAH

Still waiting for the paint to cure after finding that it needed touching up, so I've done a couple small things. I welded on a bracket for the headlight to the upper triple tree and shortened the part of the headlight bracket to be more like the concept drawing. Also took a stab at the seatback mount.
4463070846_40ba63deef.jpg

Finished the seatback fabrication, bracket needs paint. I'm getting impatient and made a few mistakes, but I covered them up, mostly.
4467113757_90e9b88ef3.jpg

4467888084_b4b956ce95.jpg

Rat back atcha!
4476906404_9fcfc45e3a.jpg

I've been tweeking the bike, riding a few miles checking, tweeking, riding, and it's pretty nice the gear ratios on this 24' mountain bike are close like a road bike so I don't have the range I expect on a full size mountain bike, but they aren't bad as long a I don't have to climb too steep of a hill. My left crank arm came loose so I cut short todays ride. How many times do I need to tighten it before it stops needing it, hmm, just have to keep checking for awhile I guess. Anyway I am very pleased that it's so nice to ride and the seatback gives some support and is working as intended.
4477706848_4df2a7328b.jpg

What type of crank arm? If it's modern standard square hole on square shaft, a drop of blue Loctite on the nut or bolt should cure it, assuming you've got it pressed all the way on, and still having a problem.

Comfort was a major goal, as was ease of use, I'm not on my tippy toes when stopped, but flat footed and it handles good, starts with almost no wobble. I also wanted to be able to ride it wherever i wanted to, so it needed gears. All this without sacrificing style, and of course it was fun to build.

love the bike, turned out great.

here's some food for thought for the next build. low is the way to go!
i think your bike would have been twice as fabulous if the entire frame was lowered.

i tend to go a little extreme (like a lot of members here)
i ride this bike everywhere. its very comfortable an easy to ride.
IMG_0621.jpg

you can cram the pedals into the ground, using them as a brake, and the bike just tries to right itself. navigates most curbs/ bumps with easy. only time i run into issues -speed bumbs tend to bottom out the bike.

i'm not saying to go this low, but a lowered frame would have gone a long way on this build.
very nice never the less, great first build!

Man, that's a beautiful bike! It looks like you have to lean way forward, not back though. I want to be relaxed, semi-recumbent, but maybe with the right handlebars, hmmm.

hey icyuod2, you are right, now that i look at it. only you, me, and a few others have dared to go that low.

Latest posts

Back