first build -Magnacruiser-

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first build, a stretch cruiser. I started with a cheap Magna MTB bike so I wouldn't feel so bad chopping it up. Putting it back in working order if possible is a little costly 3 chains, new cables, handlebars, paint, etc. for a cheap build, total cost about $150-$200. I'd hate to know how much some the bikes cost to build.

some pics of progress

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/chopperbi ... 20&dir=asc

We'd have to join your Yahhoo "group", to view the pics.

thanks, I guess I need a flicker account.

Let's see if this works
4281404398_20da3cbe7e.jpg

4280653095_e5a3b4ed4a.jpg

4280652959_1f32d22595.jpg

looks like a heavy build. :p i like it! very harley-ish.

Yes, it is overbuilt. I don't trust my welding ability. 1" EMT, not sure of it's strength. If I do another using this design I will use 3/4" EMT, but it has thinner walls and I tend to burn through it.

I like it! I might even "copy" it.........I've always liked straight line frames, no curves. If your using one inch conduit it should be pretty light over all. 3/4" won't have the strength IMO.. Make sure you remove the galvanized layer before you weld.

i was talking about all the weights you used to hold it all in place, but ok. :lol:

finally got some real shop time and it looks like a bike again

4310255049_6037093dac.jpg

4310255055_2e1d6fa7f2.jpg

i like it. if you don't have the fairing yet, check ebay for the atv fairings. i got a pretty light weight plastic one for $15 for one of my stretch projects.

I was thinking of building the windshield, but the ones on e-bay looked good and were reasonably priced. This project may never be finished, it is intended to be developed as far as possible, if stuff keeps working out it will continue to evolve. To start with it will have stock gears, deraileurs and brakes, if I think it deserves better I will upgrade. May also experiment with some form of power assist. The frame is almost done, parts to complete it are on their way.

4317237102_1aa3e6e293.jpg

Almost finished welding, gonna grind 'em, fix 'em, smooth 'em, and paint. Got the parts to make it rideable. Turned out a little steam punk, which influences paint color, thinking about rustoleum "Hammered Metal Finish Spray, 7212830 - Light Blue or 7218830 - Dark Bronze". here is a pic with new handlebars, stem and seat.
4323450366_b30d10de59.jpg

I didn't like the first handlebars, so I got some highrise bars, much better. This frame is not right for the full dress treatment, I got the geometry wrong. Maybe if it was longer so the seat was lower...next time
pic with new handlebars and a little rattitude. It will get metallic black paint too.
4331148826_a90890f45d.jpg

Almost finished, ground the welds as far as I dare, and they are still ugly, need bondo! Test drove it and I love it! Gearing could be better-upgradeable, pedals close to front wheel (but ok I guess) and to ground (corners will be interesting). Seat position is where I hoped it would be and can be raised for taller people, one of my goals was to have a cool bike (I designed) that was as friendly as a commercial one. I think the handlebars are too short for shifters, brakes, and grips, so I am going to extend them, not sure if EMT will work well, let's see.
4377266656_2847d53521.jpg

4377277664_f39ea0353a.jpg

4376519843_86e814585b.jpg

4377278448_d54ed4e9ac.jpg

Started bondo-ing, it's a learning experience like everything else on this bike. I was a little heavy handed applying the bondo and now most of it will be sanded (or whatever) off, found drywall sanding screen works fairly well. Ordered a generator light set, which I plan to convert to LED, may not use the generator because I got a 6v rechargeable too. I want a switch/battery box to operate the system which be augmented with LED bolt lights for side visibility.

Been goofing off and only doing a little here and there. It seems finishing is taking forever! But, it's ready for paint and then assembly, WOO HOO!
4436053848_94a43a00b0.jpg

4435280845_5326cfd390.jpg

4435280405_9a133bd028.jpg

4436054350_948c1f5f7a.jpg

if those are regular diameter handlebars you can use emt as an inner sleeve and some cut off pieces from another set of handlebars as the actual extensions. it works pretty good.

also if you work out some kind of back rest like in the drawing it makes stretches much easier to ride.

i like the whole idea. i'm working in a similar direction with one of mine. rode it as a one speed for a while (actually gave it to my brother then got it back and made it a project for me), then put gears on it, and now hoping if i get it back together to be a bike with a fairing (that's how i knew about the ebay fairings) and maybe a motor but that idea is still really fuzzy.

anyway, good luck with your compleation.

I'd love to see pics phil. I'm still thinking of a back rest, maybe steel rod attached to seat frame...dunno.

i didn't do a full on back rest, more like a scoop kind of thing to keep me in place.

Picture154.jpg

it's an oversized exercise bike seat with sort of a duck tail added. i've made a couple and they work pretty good and are comfortable, but i don't know much about upholstry to pad it better.

here's another that pops up on ebay sometimes. more like your drawing

6a42_1.jpg

here's my fairing

Picture031-1.jpg

Picture032-1.jpg
(the handlebars are some i extended as decribed. long foam grips hide my welds)

they were about $15 plus shipping last fall. don't remember the seller and/or if he has more, but it's an atv fairing so you could probaly do a search and see whats available.

Latest posts

Back