Firewing 1953 Columbia 3 Star DeLuxe (2nd) - 3/15 TRADED

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: FireWing 53 Columbia 3 Star DeLuxe - Clean Mockups

I'm not digging the chrome cranks and ring. I just remember that I had this black SS Sport crank and mag ring. I like how the crank has a little dogleg action to it. Now I just have to find where I put it.

Photo_879F9BA7-19AC-FB0E-EADA-DDA512EE511C.jpg

love the bars! what are they?

Troy

jats said:
love the bars! what are they?

Troy

Old Wald "Billy Goat" bars. Their version of Ramshorn bars. I got them here on RRB.

Lovin' this build....every configuration oozes cool. 8)

With the thick bricks how do you still have all that space with the rear fender and chain guard? I thought the CWC I have had a lot of space but yours looks like you have a 4" gap between the stays. So cool.

Looks awesome and I love the look of the typhoon tire with the patina but the thick bricks fill the space so nice!

kingfish,
To age the rear, perhaps you could 'scuff' the chrome and do a saltwater bath to encourage some rusting/patina. Or I saw some 'oil rubbed bronze' rattlecan at the craft store the other day...

LOVING this build so far, I'm glad I don't have to choose between the cream Thick Bricks or the brick red Typhoons. If they both didn't look great, it would be easier... :roll:

Something tells me, you can't go wrong either way. Hopefully, I can see this one in person in July.

Cheers,
Dr. T

rat-a-tac said:
With the thick bricks how do you still have all that space with the rear fender and chain guard? I thought the CWC I have had a lot of space but yours looks like you have a 4" gap between the stays. So cool.

Looks awesome and I love the look of the typhoon tire with the patina but the thick bricks fill the space so nice!

I forgot to measure that tonight. I do that later and get back to you, but there is plenty of room with the Thick Bricks on the skinny rims. I know that the WW Bricks that I have on the wide El Guapo Felt rims are too wide for the frame.

More to come shortly on tire/wheels options.

EDIT: The width between the rear stays is about 3.25". The fenders are about 4" wide and plenty of height room. The front fork has a little over 2.75" between the forks.

Re: FireWing 53 Columbia 3 Star - 5/8 TIRE Mockups

Decided to try out tires on the original crusty 26" rims tonight.
First off is a creme BOA-G. I had to deflate the tire to get it in this style drops, but once in, I would only need some minor fender mods for it to fit.
Not sure if there is enough contrast between it and the rims though. I even thought about painting the sidewalls brick red.(EDIT: SCRATCH THAT SILLY IDEA)

Then I mounted the brick red Typhoon and I fell in love with the contrast on these rims. The shop is just to small to see the big picture. Still had a little daylight so I took the bike out to Queenfish's courtyard.

With the Nanner

And the original slammed Columbia saddle

Darkness fell a little, but I slipped in one photo with the 24x3 Creme Thick Bricks

Re: FireWing 53 Columbia 3 Star - 5/8 TIRE Mockups

I hadn't popped the Electra skirt guards in since it was at my office, so here they are. If I use them, I will age them appropriately and there will be flames cut into them. We'll see.

Re: FireWing 53 Columbia 3 Star - 5/8 Tire + Skirt Mockups

I like the color combo of the whole bike with cream tires or red.

One thing I always do like (that my not be seen in pics) is how nice a fat tire fills up the fender.

Other random thoughts....

Something about the banana seat I like... Flows so nice keeps the height of the bike on one plane.

Love the bars.... A big headlight would be killer.

Skirts might be to much... Maybe

as always sorry you are low on ideas :wink:

Keep up the good work!

you need to show how you plan on straightening out the fender stays, they look like they are in about as good of shape as mine.

dragnusa said:
you need to show how you plan on straightening out the fender stays, they look like they are in about as good of shape as mine.

Haven't even begun to think that far ahead yet, but I am sure it will involve a ball peen hammer and my trusty cobbler's anvil. (and tall cold one).

WP_001805_zps0df8e27f.jpg

dracothered said:
I'm not digging the skirts just yet, but it could be because they still look to new yet...

I was wondering the same thing. Right now they are too shiny and it turns me off to them too. I need to mock something with cardboard and make a decision from there. I have cool plans for them, but I am definitely not committed to them.

I was actually thinking about routering a groove in a 2x4 and rounding the end of a chisel off and trying that or just buy a couple sets from electra

This bike is sick! So freakin cool. You should leave the cream rear and red front. Something is just awesome about that.

Double Nickle said:
You should leave the cream rear and red front. Something is just awesome about that.

Maybe I should patina paint the rear rim to be brick red. Then I would have a modern day Walmart Thruster Fixie. :mrgreen:

Dr. Tankenstein said:
kingfish,
To age the rear, perhaps you could 'scuff' the chrome and do a saltwater bath to encourage some rusting/patina. Or I saw some 'oil rubbed bronze' rattlecan at the craft store the other day...

LOVING this build so far, I'm glad I don't have to choose between the cream Thick Bricks or the brick red Typhoons. If they both didn't look great, it would be easier... :roll:

Something tells me, you can't go wrong either way. Hopefully, I can see this one in person in July.

Cheers,
Dr. T

Thanks for the aging idea Tank. Glad you're digging my build. Check ot the latest mocks with the Red Brick and Creme Boa mounted. I really don't think I am going to use 24x3's now. I'm leaning towards the red brick Typhoons. Hope you'll be able to stop by in July too. I think Tyler is coming sometime this summer.

Latest posts

Back