ENGINE No.9 (completely complete!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: ENGINE No.9 (new pic)

Schwinnspastic said:
Awesome custom ...I like it all !!

ya know, i was just thinking the exact same thing! :lol: :lol:

i got side tracked for a couple of days with another project but i'll get some new progress pics up soon... :mrgreen:

Re: ENGINE No.9 (lights and siren!)

i got the flashing lights and the siren installed and working. check out the video but turn down the volume on your computer 'cause it's kinda loud. here's the link - http://s679.photobucket.com/albums/vv152/fenderhole/?action=view&current=sirens.mp4

lights.jpg

man thats friggin awesome! i love it!
curious though, wheres the rat in your rod? :lol:

icyuod2 said:

i think the term rat rod means different things to different people. to some it may mean flat paint and crusty parts, to others fabrication and welding, for me it means using stuff i already have laying around and then adapting, modifying or re-designing those parts to work or be used in a way which they were never intended to. for example, i re-designed a single 20" fork to work as my front and rear springer suspensions with 26" wheels, i modified a steer tube that is now my seat post and i've adapted a flashlight head to work as my headlight just to name a couple. some other things i've done like using motorcycle handle bars and the whole brake lever bell thing i believe easily includes my bike in the rat rod world. in the end i guess what makes a rat rod a rat rod is something each person has to decide for themselves. however, i hope rat rods are never determined by a cookie cutter definition as it would kind of take the fun out of it for me. right now i'm just building bikes and having fun, i hope that never changes... :)

this is one of my favorites. the siren and lights are great. can't wait to see what's next.

You ought to do like the Orange County Chopper guys did when they built theres and put wooden ladders on the side.

icyuod2 said:

Within the realm of this website, a '60's "rat bike", a dirty, rusty old motor, with unneeded parts ash-canned, (or maybe wire-tied to the bar :lol: ), usually a Harley, Ariel, or Triumph, and a showroom perfect, totally stock Mongoose Kos Kruiser, both fit the "definition" of Rat Rod Bike. :mrgreen:

fenderhole said:
icyuod2 said:

i think the term rat rod means different things to different people. to some it may mean flat paint and crusty parts, to others fabrication and welding, for me it means using stuff i already have laying around and then adapting, modifying or re-designing those parts to work or be used in a way which they were never intended to. for example, i re-designed a single 20" fork to work as my front and rear springer suspensions with 26" wheels, i modified a steer tube that is now my seat post and i've adapted a flashlight head to work as my headlight just to name a couple. some other things i've done like using motorcycle handle bars and the whole brake lever bell thing i believe easily includes my bike in the rat rod world. in the end i guess what makes a rat rod a rat rod is something each person has to decide for themselves. however, i hope rat rods are never determined by a cookie cutter definition as it would kind of take the fun out of it for me. right now i'm just building bikes and having fun, i hope that never changes... :)

i was just bust'n ya balls bud. the bikes wicked cool! i love it! i know a lot of fire fighters here in the area, and let me tell you. thier fire trucks are anything but ratty. there kept spotless!

i was just razzin bout your nice shiney, spotless fire truck, but honestly i meant it as a compliment. (one hot rod of a bike!)

sensor said:
so ive just gotta ask.......
is this to put out all the fires you started with last years build off bike? :mrgreen:

lol! :lol: yes, in fact there are still parts of my yard that hasn't grown any grass since then. :lol:

fire1.jpg

link works good for me. i do have a question - the siren and lights appear to be 12 volt, what powers all that? or did you change something else?

sprocketeer said:
the siren and lights appear to be 12 volt, what powers all that? or did you change something else?

yep, you're right it's all 12 volt stuff. :) i didn't change anything around but i'll have to wait to show you how it's all powered until it's finished because right now i'm working on something really cool and to show how it all works would be giving away the surprise. :mrgreen: :wink:

fenderhole said:
sprocketeer said:
the siren and lights appear to be 12 volt, what powers all that? or did you change something else?

yep, you're right it's all 12 volt stuff. :) i didn't change anything around but i'll have to wait to show you how it's all powered until it's finished because right now i'm working on something really cool and to show how it all works would be giving away the surprise. :mrgreen: :wink:

I LOVE ...HATE ...surprises......dont you think that you have given us enough surprises already....shhheezzz....j/k.
Terry

jezusjonz said:
I LOVE ...HATE ...surprises......dont you think that you have given us enough surprises already....shhheezzz....j/k.
Terry
hahaha! :lol: aw come on, a couple more won't hurt... actually you may be interested in my next update. it'll be about my new headbadge that i've been working on today. it's a bit too dark for photos now but i'll try to get some pictures up tomorrow. :mrgreen:

Re: ENGINE No.9 (head badge pics!)

here are the pics of my new head badge. basically it's one of those commemorative dog tags i had engraved then using the "tools" pictured below hammered out the contour i needed to match the head tube. i thought it was going to be easy but the dog tag was made out of very thick polished stainless steel which apparently does not like to bend too easily. i cut out a contoured notch from the pressure treated wood, placed the tag face down and then used the extension and hammer to carefully shape it. it took much longer than i expected but i think it was worth the effort. what do you guys think?

headbadge.jpg

tools.jpg

Back