ElgIndian - 1927 Elgin Boardtracker

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gonna be a shame to cover up this genuine patina...

2558522b060f92b0725459c01085b233.jpg

fbff64b7551c821439a8dd0ae13632d3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gonna be a shame to cover up this genuine patina...

2558522b060f92b0725459c01085b233.jpg

fbff64b7551c821439a8dd0ae13632d3.jpg

Then don't Brett! At least wait until you paint and 'age' the rest of the paint. You never know it might just fit in as is. Make the call to paint then.
Just my .02

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You guys were just a little to slow to respond. (Actually, I didn't read your posts in time...oh well!)

f2cba8c124125239635d211fa543731b.jpg

e3d6b099a214d1657d8fd5c300e192d8.jpg

It ought to look just right once I age it!

And to tone down the bars a bit...

d418daaea6a440e881b83d9697a7791b.jpg

It ought to fit right in as well, but if it doesn't, I have an old hot rod trick up my sleeve!!

TOns of goodness going into this. The color looks great and that tail light is slick

Thanks Chad, assa,KF!!

It's coming together! Just have to figure the best way to age the paint! Any suggestions are welcome...

Thanks Chad, assa,KF!!

It's coming together! Just have to figure the best way to age the paint! Any suggestions are welcome...

Dark stain with a rag ? then clear.. idk just made that up:giggle: but might work :39:

very cool build by the way :113:

Dark stain with a rag ? then clear.. idk just made that up:giggle: but might work :39:

very cool build by the way :113:

I was actually thinking of spraying black aerosol paint then a quick wipe with a thinner-soaked rag. Follow that up with some fine sandpaper in strategic spots.

If you want to just take the intensity out of the color, try standing back about 5 ft, and misting a light color to take down the red some. I like Rust-Oleum Satin Summer Squash and Satin Ivory Silk for toning down the base color. Practice on another unused piece before you try it on chain guard or bars, then work your way up to the frame. Here's the bright red with white lettering 'Cold Beer' sign after one 1-2 minute treatment with this process. After the fade, I added a very light mist of the Multi-colored Texture paint, light shade of brown.

If you want to just take the intensity out of the color, try standing back about 5 ft, and misting a light color to take down the red some. I like Rust-Oleum Satin Summer Squash and Satin Ivory Silk for toning down the base color. Practice on another unused piece before you try it on chain guard or bars, then work your way up to the frame. Here's the bright red with white lettering 'Cold Beer' sign after one 1-2 minute treatment with this process. After the fade, I added a very light mist of the Multi-colored Texture paint, light shade of brown.

I wondered how you did that.

I was actually thinking of spraying black aerosol paint then a quick wipe with a thinner-soaked rag. Follow that up with some fine sandpaper in strategic spots.

maybe just a darker burgundy or brown would be more subtle ?

Scale modelers use hairspray and acrylic paint to weather or age items. Also craft stores sell an two part system to chemically rust or oxidize items as well. Both are easy to master and others have tutorials on YouTube.just a thought your idea should work though.

Okay, guys 'n' dolls!!! Several of you have mentioned that you're just waiting to see what kind of stripes I add to this build. I've been working on a design in my head for a couple weeks, and a day or so ago, I did some preliminary sketches. I'm really close to finalizing the design, so much so that I feel good about the first step...pinstripes! Nothing says "vintage" like good panel stripes!!

10e416691eee4a42db919e6893f48861.jpg

c3fcf022ca44312440f1c3e97f48ceeb.jpg

c556a08b3d22f478d848f28a435988fc.jpg

c79d35cdf2f3fe6f4dfcab8011832d15.jpg

More to come over the next couple days...Stay tuned!!!

Back