SWB0 E=mc2 (relatively finished)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Renaissance Man

__CERTIFIED DIVER__ (Open Water & Open Dumpster)
Staff member
Pro Member
Reaction score
einstein-e1431046028266.jpg

Relative to most of my previous builds, this one will be very simple (which is the reason I decided to jump in).

The plan is to clean things up, service the moving parts, add a few missing parts, strap on the required 1.5" wide tires, and call it done. I have a couple of other builds that I'm working on for a client that are due around the same time that the build-off ends, so this one will be relegated to the spaces in between.

Depending on how quickly some of the parts can be rounded up, and how much available time I have to commit, it could be finished quickly or could drag out (relatively speaking). :wink1:

There's no reason to tear the bike down completely just to clean it. So when it came time to remove the crank yesterday, I really didn't want to pry the chainguard clamp open completely and risk scraping the paint. It has one of those single metal strap-type clamps that has to be bent backward to remove.

I ended up prying it open just enough to spin around so that I could clear the way for the crank to come out. To prevent it from scratching the paint on the downtube, I slid a piece of slick vinyl backing paper in the gap. Mission accomplished.

Here it is after cleaning the bearing cups.
IMG_6667.JPG

Got all of the moving parts cleaned, packed with new grease, and reinstalled.

Here are most of the post-cleaning parts. The headset bearings and top race were also cleaned but was late for the photo shoot. :rolleyes:

IMG_6676.JPG

This is by no means a @Chad T or @CRASH clean and polish job but will look just right with the rest of the 'less than perfect' bike.

Latest posts

Back