Dude rides like a lady

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, after a few attempts to find the "right" bike for my wife, i've gone thru a good handfull of "girl's bikes" or step thru framed bikes. Tried a few classic 60's cruisers and no bite, so I figured i'd get her a new 7speed cruiser bike off line. I had one chose out and onit's way to me when the one "I wanted for her", so figured I could always send one back after she chose but long story short, ended up keeping both.

The runner up bike I decided to keep as a "grocery getter" for MYSELF (yes, it's for me mostly... a dude! :shock: ) because when I test rode this bike, it was sooooo smooth and rode very well. Got it yesterday, rode it around running errands all morning today (of course after regreasing everything first) and even though it looks like an easter egg, it rides like a creme puff...

DSCN3618.jpg

2012 Schwinn 7speed Clairmont. My "grocery getter" although I think the color scheme kinda sucked me in to not caring that its what I like to call a step thru frame bike, but commonly known as a "girl's bike".

Finally... my question... How many of you "guys" out there don't care if your riding a "girl's bike" and appreciate simply a good riding, comfortable bike? The step thru frame makes for easier mounting when loaded up with cargo and the front basket and rear tray on the carrier are easily removable/retatchable, but got it loaded up right now to do laundry in the morning.

C'mon guys, if you got a "girl's bike" in your collection that you shamelessly love to ride, lets see em'. :mrgreen:

Peatbog said:
It's only a girl's bike when a girl is riding it. Otherwise it ain't.

It does look like an Easter egg though. Not sure what one can do about that. On the other hand, I went to Dairy Queen today to get two hot dogs for $3.33, and they had a Christmas tree up. But they had it decorated for St. Patrick's day. So maybe your bike is really just a light blue St. Patrick's Day egg.

Not sure what that has to do with anything, however; and it doesn't even make sense. Maybe I need some sleep. So--carry on...

It all made sense to me :D :lol: "Looks like a Easter egg " :mrgreen:

Nice bike

Ironicaly enough, I am technically color blind and do have back trouble, which makes this bike even better cuz its so comfortable. my wife already told me she was going to jack me for my seat. :lol: And with yellow rims (yeah, i'm diggin the yellow rims) I don't ever wanna hear someone say that they can't see me coming. :roll: Came up with a quick release system for the plastic tray on the carrier involving short bolts, fender washers and wing nuts. I am actually suprised how much structural ridgidity the frame has as step-thru frames are usually known to have more flex than a cantilever or diamond frame. I am kinda leary of brake squeal with these painted alum rims, but so far no problems.

I always say a bike is a bike. I'll ride anything. As far as the color there is always paint. :mrgreen:

Peatbog said:
It's only a girl's bike when a girl is riding it. Otherwise it ain't..

Wrong! Sorry, but I'm too old to change my ways. I was raised that boys and girls are different and so are their bikes. I wouldn't be caught dead on a girls bike. :shock: I also have a moustache. :p Gary

glenn rich said:
the older you get the less you care what people think,ride what makes you happy
I'm only 26 and I haven't cared what people think for years. Do I have a problem with bicycle hoarding? No, I hoard them just fine.

For some wierd reason, I like the color scheme and rides great. I think it is only here in the United States that there is a taboo for some, per say that guys can't ride "girl's bikes" and alot of the bikes in europe and especially China riden by men resemble what we'd call a "girl's bike". Suprisingly with all the running around i've done on it the past few days, haven't gotten one comment either way about it from anyone... but it has attracted blue jays, robins and easter egg toting bunnies. :lol: It's not my main ride, but it's still a fun ride!

I ride the wife's '58 Hornet occasionally, but not for long distances. Mainly just to check it's 'action' and make adjustments. Its a sweet ride though.

IMG_3757.jpg

looks like an awesome geared cruiser! Personally, I am tall ..have to raise the seat higher..so a step through frame is my main riding bike pictured below. I would say to personalize it and rock it!
It's a 5 speed with long duck tailed fenders for riding on wet roads... no stripes! LOL
vixenandfrankie003.jpg

Now those are some good lookin bikes guys! Swapped out the o.e. brake pads for a set of Jagwires today... yeah, ...for the wife that is to use when she rides it to get groceries :wink: .

glenn rich said:
the older you get the less you care what people think,ride what makes you happy

I haven't cared since I had an "attitude"...when I was 15.

outskirtscustoms said:
I'm only 26 and I haven't cared what people think for years. Do I have a problem with bicycle hoarding? No, I hoard them just fine.

Awesome. Keep it up. 8)

After tomorrow I'll have 8 Schwinns, a Spaceliner, a Hawthorne, and probably 5-8 other bikes. :mrgreen: Also buying a Schwinn tandem next week.

B607 said:
Peatbog said:
It's only a girl's bike when a girl is riding it. Otherwise it ain't..

Wrong! Sorry, but I'm too old to change my ways. I was raised that boys and girls are different and so are their bikes. I wouldn't be caught dead on a girls bike. :shock: I also have a moustache. :p Gary

Ditto! Can't see myself riding a girls bike although I have a girls 1941 CWC Western Flyer w/ a CWC springer that I've been tempted to try out. I also have a beard. Robert

Latest posts

Back