Dropped the blazer, now little thingz and such

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I Like a bit of rake or level.

I put air shocks in the back so I can put a bit of air in em once I get them hooked up to raise it a bit if I want.

Last edited:
Being that I had a little bit of rattle left. Looked up the washer and found the TSB #. Called my local Chevy dealer and the parts guy. He didn't see the TSB. He said probably because there aren't many S10s left on the road it was long gone. Really?

So decided to go to Ace Hardware and picked up 3 different sizes of metric wave washers. Ended up having two that fit over the shoulder and two that fit the threaded side. So I used each on each hinge and some locktite to keep it from coming apart. Took it for a spin and it sounds like a new vehicle. Woot woot!!!

I will be finishing the air shocks and cutting the rear bump stops. I get a bit of bounce from the rear on bigger dips from bouncing off the stops. I will have to measure to make sure I have the clearance for the axle to move two more inches upwards on compression.

Then it's mounting the turtle and bike rack for our trip.

Well I believe I'm done with the suspension. Got the air compressor hooked up. Took way longer than expected, as always. Had to come up with a way to move the rear sway bar back bout 3/4" to keep it from rubbing on the air shocks. Used the old spring shackles a few nuts that passed over the shackle as spacers and cut and drilled some flat stock for support on the bushing. Worked though it caused me to use a different spare tire I happened to have around. All worked in the end, just a pain to get there. Lol. Also cut the rear bump stops bout 2".
No air.

90lbs psi

Tried on the rally wheels to see if the rims cleared.

But......... Being that I have a rim fetish I found these on CL and they are really what I wanted.

I already have the rally's listed on CL. The Camaro RS rims still need bigger tires (but I'll run them for now once back from Vaca) and I will keep a eye out for 2 more front rims so I can rotate them. Rear tires are Hoosier DOT race tires so I should be able to get some $ out of em.

I like the iroc's on there. I don't know why, but I keep thinking your blazer is a four wheel drive. :confused:From what Ive heard, people with drop spindles have a hard time running those because of them hitting part of the spindle, I'm curious to see if the drop arms will let you or not.

They do rub a bit on full turn. I'm not sure where yet. Nothing I can't tolerate. I ran them fri night around the neighborhood. And had to get to work on stuff so no pics of them mounted right now.

With 235s on my 7 inch rallys, I used to rub the frame on the front at full lock.

Forgot to mention I developed a clunk in the rear the past couple days. So got to thinking that maybe because the rear blocks are not angled that the drive shaft is clunking due to a incorrect pinion angle. So ran to the local speed shop that actually had Beltech 2" blocks with a 2dg angle in em.

After taking the other blocks out I could see that the rear of the axle bracket was barely sitting on the block. Gotta figure that was my noise because it's all gone.

:)

Much better rim choice, also those a RS Camaro rims, not IROCs. IROCs look more like the 86 Monte Carlo SS wheels. There's also two types a s series wheels, one like what came on yours, minus the ugly curve that makes them a symetrical. The other set normally have a colored lip.

Oh and MC SS & IROC wheels are too wide for the s series and the tires will rub.

The wheel rub can be cured with a stop added, that simple.
Tire rub is old school, get a baseball bat and roll the fender lip. Seems like fat rubber will still rub the fender liner, but who cares? :)
I told you to get monoleafs!!!
The work was worth it, looks great!
Now I will blow your mind.
Should braking be an issue, I have installed 5th gen Vette brakes on your style blazer....lots of fab!
heck I have even done a complete vette suspension under them... no fun.

I also developed that clunk with the three inch blocks on my current truck. For whatever reason, maybe to do with the pinion angle change or whatever, my tranny mount come loose, and it sounded horrible. Maybe it was just coincidence.

Tuck, make sure your pinion angle is correct. Also, general use blocks are to big for the axle bracket. They need a steel plate on top for the bracket to set on. That was my prob. Just didn't look bad when assembling. The beltech blocks I got are the correct length front to back and support the axle bracket properly. And they have 2dg of correction built in. Something worth trying.

Mike, I'm just going for a comfortable driver, nothing to lay frame with. And I've found that with 35-40psi in the shocks it rides better than stock. REALY a smooth ride. My van is my fun vehicle, it sits about 8" lower. And if I ever get my bug done it's lowered a lot, with a 5.5" narrowed front beam I built.

I figured that out after getting a real set of blocks. Lol

So I've taken it down to Sarasota Fl. Rides nice. Do get a good front end bounce on some bridge transitions, but not much I can do with that. But super happy to have put air shocks in the rear to accommodate for a dropped/loaded truck. Works nice.

Just did a mod to the heater controls to prevent hot foot a common issue on manual control hvac controls on these. (had to deal with a hot feet and a hot truck on the way down) you pull the glove box down, pull the grey vacuum line and plug it. Took it on a test drive and it's night and day, no heat out of the vents when all hvac is off. Just pulled it off the servo and plugged it with a spare to torx 1/4" bit I had. 3 min fix, took longer to find something to plug it with than anything.

Last edited:
Just got it back from Firestone in Sarasota. Had it realigned. Had to much toe in, probably why it was a bit darty on the highway. And I believe it gained some turning radius back because of that as well. Also had the tires balanced and rotated ( they never rotated them when I had them do the inspection the first time). It had a tire that caused a vibration at 72-78mph. Hope that's gone.

Found a set of restored Camaro RS rims for $450 down here. To bad I don't have $. And with the chumps at work taking my commission away I'm not sure what else I'll be able to do. Need to sell some stuff to buy tires for the rims I have. Anyone want to buy a bike

Truck drove great on the way home from Sarasota. Drove straight through. After taking a nap and unloading the truck I set the air in the shocks to where the rear was the same height as it was before dropping it and jacked the front up to what it was before as well just to get a pick of what it looked like before and put the after pic next to it.

Repost of the after.

Also swapped the Camaro RS rims back on as well. To see how they fit.

I need tires they are to small. And the rt side rim rubs the upper A arm I believe when I hit bumps. And the rt rear tire barely rubs the exhaust and they are to soft as well. So they won't stay on and will swap them out for the stock wheels later this week. I won't be putting them on till I find another pair of front rims to run on the rear and get tires for them.

Back