Dropped the blazer, now little thingz and such

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sweet! The way I figure it, yes it might be overkill, but a few more dollars now while you have it apart means if you want to go a bit further later on the parts are already there to make it possible.

From what I've read on the S10 forum the drop arms are not good with drop spindles as it puts the springs to close to the ground. And if you add drop springs they put the arm to close to the frame.

But right now, bang for my buck I get a 3" drop in the front. Without the harsh ride of a drop spring. And drop spindles for '98 and up blazers are $50 more and a 2" drop. The spindles are not the same as earlier 2wd blazers and all S10s they have a seperate hub and sealed bearings and can be used on 2wd or 4wd. Messed up but it gives the blazers better brakes. It has 2 piston calipers in front and disc rears and the best braking of any vehicle I've owned or driven.

A pic of the mess.

I got most everything torn off. Except the lt lower arm. The front bolt is stuck. So I need to cut it out. Fun fun. Just picked up the replacement bolt. The fun will commence later after we go out to dinner for out oldest sons 15th birthday.

A pic of the mess.

I got most everything torn off. Except the lt lower arm. The front bolt is stuck. So I need to cut it out. Fun fun. Just picked up the replacement bolt. The fun will commence later after we go out to dinner for out oldest sons 15th birthday.
looks pretty clean underneath. starting to come together and it's gonna look cool.good luck with it cannot wait to see the finished truck you got the right idea drop it like it's hot so to speak. looking great so far
Sean

I just saw this post. Coincidently I'm doing some suspension work to my s10 right now, and trying to get my rims to clear my tie rods.

Oh, and I just reread that you had a nasty rattle? Did it sound like it could be a loose shock? I had a terrible clunking/rattle and after I replaced every front end part, it turned out to be the hood hinge washers, and its happened on several of my s10s. Roll up a small piece of rag and put it in the hood jams near the hinges and see if that helps.

Took forever it seemed, finished at 3am, I'm tired, sore, have a killer headache from lack of sleep but I'm up and it's going to Firestone for a alignment shortly. I didn't take pics like I planned, it was to messy and I was in work mode, but it's done. I have to get it out of the garage then I'll get a few pics.

Tucktuck, are those f body wheels ? Looks excellent,
Onewheelsquel, the lower arms with the drop spring pocket are very cool. Do you lose any suspension travel?
Have to trim bump stops?

I agree they are cool looking. They are heavy as well. Which think for durability isn't a bad thing, but definitely doesn't help unsprung weight. I'm sure It do loose some travel, it puts the arm closer to the frame. But it does have a shorter bump stop as well.

Oh, and I just reread that you had a nasty rattle? Did it sound like it could be a loose shock? I had a terrible clunking/rattle and after I replaced every front end part, it turned out to be the hood hinge washers, and its happened on several of my s10s. Roll up a small piece of rag and put it in the hood jams near the hinges and see if that helps.

Yes I've read about that. And I'm pretty sure that is the case partially. It's not as bad, so I do believe it could use a rebuild. Though the ball
Joints were worn they weren't terrible.

That is a cool truck. How do you plan on remedieing the tie rod issue? Spacers? Good luck.

So no same angle shots but a before/after.

Nothing drastic but a bit lower and pretty much level. Test fitted the rally's on the rear and they fit, ran out of oomph so I didn't test the front. If the front clears I need to pick up some hub centric rings and get some tires, and repaint the rims.

Done and done. It's home.

It measures level. But looks to sit lower in the rear. I haven't hooked up the air shocks either. So I may put a little air in em once their hooked up.
It did have a issue with lack of adjustment in caster. I will let the front settle a bit if it does and get it aligned again. I payed for the more expensive alignment so it's garaunteed for the life of my ownership with free alignments now. I may look into hogging out the adjustment holes to get a bit more and get them even as well. I don't see the rear settling much if at all, only because I only did blocks and shocks. I wouldn't mind if the front settled a bit.

I agree they are cool looking. They are heavy as well.
The rims are off some vette, not sure what year. I need to pick up two 2.5 inch adapters for the front, and 3 inch ones for the rear. The rear is 315 mm wide...

Done and done. It's home.

It measures level. But looks to sit lower in the rear. I haven't hooked up the air shocks either. So I may put a little air in em once their hooked up.
It did have a issue with lack of adjustment in caster. I will let the front settle a bit if it does and get it aligned again. I payed for the more expensive alignment so it's garaunteed for the life of my ownership with free alignments now. I may look into hogging out the adjustment holes to get a bit more and get them even as well. I don't see the rear settling much if at all, only because I only did blocks and shocks. I wouldn't mind if the front settled a bit.

Looks awesome. A good set of shocks on the rear helped me alot, this blue truck sagged bad in the rear.

Back