Double backwheeled Stingray Chooper

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the subject pretty much explains what i'm doing. and if youre wondering no this is not a widened rear end type deal. this is my idea.

Framecut.jpg

I wanna see more,Ill keep my eye on this one. :mrgreen:

I have been thinkin about this,, it seems doable if you flipped the cranks and drove from the inside left tire . might have to switch to a normal BB to get the chain straight tho.. also seems like you could figure out a shoe for the center brake stud and run one arm on the outside of each wheel as well. were yuo thinkin one long axle for both wheels?

you could call it the "stingray Trident"!! :lol:

you got me on this one, gonna be very cool... 8)

Looking forward to seeing some good redneck engineering (that's a compliment by the way) on this one.

The Trident Chopper, sounds good!

AS THE SPOKESMAN FOR STINGRAYS I'M SAYING..YEAH BABY-HOOK IT UP!!! I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THIS ONE CUZ I'VE BEEN WANTING A TRIKE...GET TA BUILDIN'!! PEACE

scrumblero said:
soo a real skinny trike?? :?
Two rear wheels/tires, each on its own hub . . . side-by-side? That would be a real skinny trike.
I predict a "jack shaft" will be needed to center-up a chain for a trike set-up.

You might want to think about lacing two rims to a single hub. Unlace the wheels, mount the tires to the hoops an air them up, and see how much you will need to space the hoops apart so you can make some spacers to attach the hoops together. Two O.C.C. hubs can be spliced together using only the right side of each hub . . . thats right, threaded for freewheel on both sides of yer custom hub. ChoppersUS and others have a disc brake adapter that will thread to the left side of yer custom hub, then you can mount a brake rotor to it. You will need to find a long threaded rod for a axle . . . check with McMaster-Carr. Run the chain on the right with a "jack shaft", and use a disc brake on the left. Then you will have a cool "Double backwheeled Stingray" chopper! :wink:
All the best on yer project . . . I'll be watching! 8)

scrumblero said:
I have been thinkin about this,, it seems doable if you flipped the cranks and drove from the inside left tire . might have to switch to a normal BB to get the chain straight tho.. also seems like you could figure out a shoe for the center brake stud and run one arm on the outside of each wheel as well. were yuo thinkin one long axle for both wheels?

you could call it the "stingray Trident"!! :lol:

you got me on this one, gonna be very cool... 8)

You got the one long axel right, but i wnat to try to run a double chain drive if its possible . And i know this is gonna make me sound stupid but what do you mean by "BB"

Fireproof said:
scrumblero said:
soo a real skinny trike?? :?
Two rear wheels/tires, each on its own hub . . . side-by-side? That would be a real skinny trike.
I predict a "jack shaft" will be needed to center-up a chain for a trike set-up.

You might want to think about lacing two rims to a single hub. Unlace the wheels, mount the tires to the hoops an air them up, and see how much you will need to space the hoops apart so you can make some spacers to attach the hoops together. Two O.C.C. hubs can be spliced together using only the right side of each hub . . . thats right, threaded for freewheel on both sides of yer custom hub. ChoppersUS and others have a disc brake adapter that will thread to the left side of yer custom hub, then you can mount a brake rotor to it. You will need to find a long threaded rod for a axle . . . check with McMaster-Carr. Run the chain on the right with a "jack shaft", and use a disc brake on the left. Then you will have a cool "Double backwheeled Stingray" chopper! :wink:
All the best on yer project . . . I'll be watching! 8)

I want to lace to rims together but the thing is. is that i have no idea how to even start that if you could explain that in depth for me that would help alot and how to do the disc brake.

kingfish254 said:
Looking forward to seeing some good redneck engineering (that's a compliment by the way) on this one.

The Trident Chopper, sounds good!

Why Trident? haha

Hoeha said:
Nice man! Have you been to the FBI in amsterdam this year? I did some welding for Marcel's basmania. A basman, widened, with 2 rear rims on 1 hub. It also has a crazy fork
check it out!
312354_237254412983728_100000975129134_634208_1176235_n.jpg

This bike actully really inspired me

mattp427 said:
I want to lace to rims together but the thing is. is that i have no idea how to even start that if you could explain that in depth for me that would help alot and how to do the disc brake.
First off, unless you can design and fab a caliper mounting tab for your frame, this would be the easy way to mount a disc brake caliper to yer frame . . . http://www.choppersus.com/store/product ... et-Billet/
You could use one of these to adapt a disc rotor to your hub . . . http://www.choppersus.com/store/product ... Converter/
This place has a bunch of brake parts also . . . http://www.electricscooterparts.com/brakes.html#

You need to affix your hoops together . . . TIG welding them would probably be best. You want to run a tire on each hoop, right? Because the sidewalls of the tire bulge out, the rims might need to be spaced apart from each other . . . you will need to decide if that is necessary and, if so, how much space you will need. Line-up the valve stem holes in the hoops and the spoke holes will be in the correct locations. You lace EVERY OTHER hole of the left hoop to ALL the holes of the left hub flange . . . lace EVERY OTHER hole of the right hoop to ALL the holes of the right hub flange . . . using a standard 3X lacing pattern. I learned how to lace wheels using Hugo's awesome how-to thread. You need to try this even if just to practice . . . http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 578#p30168 I've built a bunch of wheels now, but for each one, I still read the print I made of that thread. . . Thanks Hugo!!!!!!

For a hub, you could cut the left flanges off of two matching hubs. Then, find some tube with an I.D. that would fit over the center portions of the hubs. Cut the tube to space the flanges to fit the width of your double rims, and weld the new center tube to the inside ofe the flanges . . . BAM! New extra wide hub! (About 8.5" wide!!!!!!!! WOW!!!!!!) You can check here to see if you can find an axle to use . . . http://www.mcmaster.com/#

BTW, BB = bottom bracket . . . where yer crank set goes. :wink:
Hope this helps you!

Fireproof said:
mattp427 said:
First off, unless you can design and fab a caliper mounting tab for your frame, this would be the easy way to mount a disc brake caliper to yer frame . . . http://www.choppersus.com/store/product ... et-Billet/
You could use one of these to adapt a disc rotor to your hub . . . http://www.choppersus.com/store/product ... Converter/
This place has a bunch of brake parts also . . . http://www.electricscooterparts.com/brakes.html#

You need to affix your hoops together . . . TIG welding them would probably be best. You want to run a tire on each hoop, right? Because the sidewalls of the tire bulge out, the rims might need to be spaced apart from each other . . . you will need to decide if that is necessary and, if so, how much space you will need. Line-up the valve stem holes in the hoops and the spoke holes will be in the correct locations. You lace EVERY OTHER hole of the left hoop to ALL the holes of the left hub flange . . . lace EVERY OTHER hole of the right hoop to ALL the holes of the right hub flange . . . using a standard 3X lacing pattern. I learned how to lace wheels using Hugo's awesome how-to thread. You need to try this even if just to practice . . . http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 578#p30168 I've built a bunch of wheels now, but for each one, I still read the print I made of that thread. . . Thanks Hugo!!!!!!

For a hub, you could cut the left flanges off of two matching hubs. Then, find some tube with an I.D. that would fit over the center portions of the hubs. Cut the tube to space the flanges to fit the width of your double rims, and weld the new center tube to the inside ofe the flanges . . . BAM! New extra wide hub! (About 8.5" wide!!!!!!!! WOW!!!!!!) You can check here to see if you can find an axle to use . . . http://www.mcmaster.com/#

BTW, BB = bottom bracket . . . where yer crank set goes. :wink:
Hope this helps you!

This helps out more that you know, but basically im taking 2 hubs making them into one, then lacing the together? And the whole lacing thing still confuses me. But this will help me out TONS precait it man.

mattp427 said:
. . . basically im taking 2 hubs making them into one, then lacing the together? And the whole lacing thing still confuses me.
Yes, I think that you need to splice two hubs together to have it wide enough. You are going to end up with a wheel that will be close to NINE inches wide! :shock:

I wasn't able to find a link for you . . . Google "Atomic Zombie" "Overkill". Someplace you can find how he laced a car rim to a bicycle hub that he widened and how he made the hub and I think it shows how to make a "jack shaft". :wink:

On the lacing . . . dissasemble an old wheel, then relace it for practice. Follow Hugo's instructions . . . step-by-step!

I really hope you go for it . . . sounds like an awesome project! 8)

Fireproof said:
mattp427 said:
. . . basically im taking 2 hubs making them into one, then lacing the together? And the whole lacing thing still confuses me.
Yes, I think that you need to splice two hubs together to have it wide enough. You are going to end up with a wheel that will be close to NINE inches wide! :shock:

I wasn't able to find a link for you . . . Google "Atomic Zombie" "Overkill". Someplace you can find how he laced a car rim to a bicycle hub that he widened and how he made the hub and I think it shows how to make a "jack shaft". :wink:

On the lacing . . . dissasemble an old wheel, then relace it for practice. Follow Hugo's instructions . . . step-by-step!

I really hope you go for it . . . sounds like an awesome project! 8)

Haha, the only thing is, is that the the hub is very small, and it just looks like it would be flimsy under all that pressure, i might just make a custom one. Also what do you mena by "jack shaft"?

mattp427 said:
. . . what do you mena by "jack shaft"?
Look closly at this photo . . . http://www.recyclart.org/2009/03/overkill-chopper/ See where the front chain is close to the frame and it goes to a sprocket ahead of the rear tire? That is a shaft (a "jack shaft"), supported at by bearings at both ends, and it has a second sprocket so a second chain can go to the rear hub. On that bike, the shaft is hard to see because the shaft is black, but there are two chains and four sprockets. A neat trick is to use a three-speed, internally-geared hub as a "jack shaft"! :wink:

Latest posts

Back