Cut Steering Tube on new springer fork

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a new 26" chrome springer fork from bicycledesigner.com and the steering tube is too long. I need to cut off a couple of inches from the threading and was wondering if anyone had any tips. I want to cut it in the best way possible to maintian the integrity of the threading so I can get everything back on. Thanks.

If your going to hacksaw it off, thread the top bearing race down below where you need to cut first. Evenly wrap some tape around the threads above where it needs to be cut right at the line. This will give you a visual reference to help keep the blade straight while you saw. Then thread the top bearing race off after you cut and this will hopefully straighten out the threads and make it easier to re-assemble. Thanks!!!

if its the schwinn style springer, would shortening it make the spring bracket hard to bolt back onto since the truss and forks would stay the same length but the bracket gets dropped 2 inches ?

Thanks for the tip cashman, I didn't think about putting the race on before I cut.

CCR, I don't think I understand what you are saying. If I don't need to cut, I don't want to, and I want to make sure I am not missing something before I do and I cut too low.

CCR, it's possible to reduce the tube length enough that the truss rods might not line up with the front axel. Depends on the amount that's needed to be removed. Worst case is that you might have to slot the truss rods to line up properly with the front axel. Thanks!!!

Now I see what you guys are saying, just took a little extra visualization power since I don't have the fork with me right now. Thanks.

Ive cut down 2 of their forks. I threaded an old bearing race on and cut against the top of it...worked as a guide..even did it while on the frame...race cleans the threads up too.

I think i'm just going to leave it. Gives it that unfinished, raw look. Hey, its a rat bike right? Maybe I'll cut it off later while on the bike if it really gets to me. Now if I can just get rid of their logos they have stamped right on the front mount...

Markm said:
Ive cut down 2 of their forks. I threaded an old bearing race on and cut against the top of it...worked as a guide..even did it while on the frame...race cleans the threads up too.

i just did this exact same thing 2 days ago. had an extra upper bearing race, threaded it to where the nut would sit flush, then whipped out the sawzall and did it all on the bike. as long as you do a nice straight cut when you thread off the bearing race it will clean up the threads really good. if the threads get effed up for any reason go pick up a 4" triangle file or a thread file and your good as new.

:x I can't stand you guys. You need your tubes shorter, I need to grow mine by an inch. :( If you end up cutting the threads and need to bend the little L shaped piece that the spring bolt goes into, you can heat it up and bend it. Just be careful as I started heating up a different piece of that fork and had some airbubbles under the chrome explode :shock: Plus I imagine heating and bending will crack the chrome plating.

Latest posts

Back