Coppertone Varsity - My First Bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SchwinnVaristy1964001.jpg

SchwinnVaristy1964004.jpg

SchwinnVaristy1964003.jpg

SchwinnVaristy1964002.jpg

When I was about 12, my bike broke so my dad gave me his college bike, a 65 Coppertone Varsity, which at the time I thought was a horrible thing. A few years ago, he asked me if I wanted it - and even though I was into bikes at the time, I passed on it just because I didn't have the room and wasn't real excited about another lightweight.

Well, of course not long after I really got the old road bike bug and kicked myself.

Found this one at a local shop - think it's a '64 since it has the downtube shifters, but not a '63 because of the style of the sprocket. Will look up the serial # later. For now, rinsed off the grime and going through it. Will be on the lookout for a donor bike for some nicer OG Schwinn cable housing this garage sale season.

Stoked about getting this one all cleaned up!! 8) CHECK OUT THAT STEM!!!

It looks like it's all there and in great shape. The forks will straighten fairly easily. It's a 64, 65, or 66, going by the downshifters and seat tube decal. In 67 the shifters were on the handlebar stem, and the decal was checkered red, white, and blue on the 63.

Latest posts

Back