Cool side shot of a couple low ridin' Rats.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20070419029_edited-1.jpg

Honest Abe and Myself cruisin' along the Intracoastal Waterway. :D

I LOVE THAT GUYS BIKE! Urs is cool 2 but THAT IS WILD!!

very cool picture..
that is a good memory shot right their!!!

and I totally love your Buddies Bike,
please let him know when you speak to him next,
I would be proud rolling that beauty
...and the Leather Saddle Bags he is running.. :wink:

VERY COOL!!! 8) 8) 8)

great Photo Kenny,
peace,
Kev.

xddorox said:
The shot, the faces, the rides, just perfect. I mean you could sell cigarettes with that picture it's so good. :lol:

LOL!

The rear brake set up on Honest Abe's bike is interesting. What kind of pads is he using?

Got an video? :mrgreen:

I'll send Abe over here to esplain his creation.
I believe the brake pads are chunks of brass that rub the tire for stopping.
Sorry Hooch, no kickstand on that one.

I gotta say, that that is one of my favorite bikes around.
The way he left it looking like it was custom rat built in the 50's and he just pulled it outta the barn, put air in the tires and started cruisin'.

Kenny, when you send abe over to explain his bike better. Have him explain the frame a little, i think i pretty much figured out what he did to that frame, but am a little sketchy about how he did the rear...

Okay, Guys and Gals I'm here! Jumped over here from chopperbicycle.net by referral from Kenny. I just took some nice detailed photos of the bike this evening so you'll get to see it better. Heres the lowdown on the bike (No Pun Intended) It started its life as a Sears JC Higgins cruiser. I acquired it from the owner of a bodyshop who I used to work for. It had been in his ramshakle shed for countless years. I originally saw it peeking from behind some boxes about 6 years ago when I was on a mission to find an Austin Mini grill that was "Somewhere" in there. I thought it was cool but unrestorable in my opinion. Finally about two years ago I came up with the idea to build a matching rat bike for my Hoodride VW bus. Checkout Hoodride.com. Thats when the build began and stopped until about 8 months ago when I decided to finally finish it. (Had to work out the driveline issues. )

Parts List:

Tank, forks, and fenders- Original unrestored
Frame- Donor Cruiser bike front section everything else is handmade. External and internal gussets for strenght- Original frame is in my attic
Components were from a mountain bike. #40 commercial chain riding on bicycle sprockets. Mono bearing jackshaft.
Saddlebag- Boyscout merit badge from my days of a little wee man freak.

Here are a few build pics. You can see the various sections and how it all came together
DSCN6604.jpg

DSCN6602.jpg

Cheap Pillow block MOCK UP ONLY DO NOT TRY
DSCN6606.jpg

Big Chain
DSCN6601.jpg

Before front gusset
sideways.jpg

One More, I couldn't resist. Thanks for the photo Eric!

Thanks Guys. I think people on this site can appreciate this bike, and that is why I am glad to share it. The bottom tube is a really heavy gauge piece of high pressure water pipe. If it was thinner this baby would have bent by now for sure. Between the local rides down here and just riding it around my neighborhood, I have probably put 30-40 miles on it.

Back