Cog Ratio for Single Speed

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
44/22 on a 26 is 52" gear. That's what a lot of SS MTB guys run, and it's basically the "standard" 20inch BMX ratio, expressed in gear inches (44/16 BITD, 25/9 today...a lot of different combos with the same inches in-between). So, yeah, I look at that as pretty low for street use, but I live in SJersey, where streets're flat and despite being fat and old, I ride daily. My street singlespeed cruiser runs a 44/18 (64"), and when I was a bit younger, I pushed a 48/16 on skinny 700x25c tires w/ a fixed gear--- came in at 79". But that bike weighed 18lbs; my Worksman tops 50lb.

Ramblin' again.

In summary: depends on the rider, the terrain, and the bike. But what goes up most come down....you'll be spinning fast w/ 44/22 going downhill.

You know you have too many bike parts when... I found a 22t cog just sitting in a box of parts, I'll test it out tomorrow.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I love it when that happens. Had to assemble a trike for a guy I work with... the one drive chain would rub no matter what I did in terms of tension and adjustment... so I went home and next day came back with a bigger front AND a bigger rear sprocket, worked out to the same ratio, plus a longer chain, and that little bit of extra clearance prevented any rub. Dude's parents and the ladies working at the house were pretty amazed like "what, do you live in a bike shop?"... pretty embarrassing, b/c it's more like a bike junkyard.....

52" gear will get you up most hills, TonyGB... Good luck. Might need a few extra links, too....

Well the thing right now is I don't need a tensioner, I got lucky with the links I have on now. I'm worried if I go up to 22t I'll lose that sweet chain length.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

44/22 will be a nice ratio for just chillin n cruising along with no effort. Sometimes it's nice to have a bike like that. Especially if the bike is heavy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I run a 38/16 which is right around 62 gear inches. It has a decent top end without being too difficult up hills. The stock 38/18 ratio (55 inch) was great starting up and up hills, but I spun out too quick. I'd like to try 38/17, but haven't run across a 3/32" coaster cog. I'm too cheap to switch to a 1/8" chain.

I run 39/20 and it's just a tad low for me. I am recovering from a broken leg though and for now it fine. 44/22 should be a good cruiser ratio.

Latest posts

Back