Cobrafreak's board track racer project, has ended

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Cobrafreak's board track racer project, never ends!

Very nice. I need to start ordering more parts for mine soon. Not looking forward to how much some of the items are going to run me. But hey.. It's still cheaper than buying stuff for my car :)

Here is a funny picture of my stunt dog "Killer" the motorbike riding dog :)
photo-10.jpg

Got my sportsman flyer bars today!

Got the new bar today! :) It came from CA so it shipped quicker than I expected. Looks sweet. Now the bike looks like a former board track racer that someone retired to street use with lights, plate, horn, and mirror. It feels great. I recommend this bar for board track builds. Sportsman Flyer bars are really high quality. The bars are aluminum and they have individual allen head bolt fasteners and a locking screw. Infinite adjustable.
photo-14.jpg
photo-12.jpg
photo-13.jpg

Looks sweet. Bars fit very well. And good point about the lights. That's the problem with building a replica of a BTR, since they were pretty bare bones. I'm going to run mine with just a small brake light and see how long I can get away with it. I don't really need a headlight since I will never be riding during the night, or while it is raining. And I can just use hand signals to indicate when I am turning.

Reverse brake levers

I took care of something that I have wanted to do for a long time. I found a pair of reverse brake levers with internal cable routing in silver (not the easiest things to find) so I could add a little bit of retro to the bike. When I got them I was disappointed that they were not designed to stick into the ends of regular 7/8 handlebars but extension bars for race bikes. So I had to "make them work". I had to alter them like crazy. Removing metal, removing parts, adding parts. But it is together, solid, and works great. The nice things about internal cable routing is I can run the cable through the split level board track bars much like the old bikes had their control lever rods running through their bars. The fit and function is really clean in appearance. I even put the throttle cable through the upper bar with a small hole for the cable to exit near the center of the bar.

photo-16.jpg

photo-15.jpg

Love those levers man!
My friend came out with the best thing when i showed him this he said " i though me girlfriend was tidy" hahaha :)

I just ordered a pair of Simplex motorcycle tires that will fit 26" bicycle rims and have a speed rating of 92 mph! Finally, the weak link of the speed equation will be fixed. FYI, the size of the Simplex tire that will work with our bicycle rims is 26x2.5 , do not get the tire labled 26x2 1/2 as it will not fit bicycle rims. Only available in black rubber. I'll post pictures when they arrive.

Simplex tires mounted

They are hard to instal as they are very tight, but no different than mounting a motorcycle tire on a motorcycle. They have a 92mph speed rating and fit regular 26" bicycle rims. Good to go.
photo-19.jpg

I did not paint the rims Red (yet). I wanted to make sure everything was strong and working properly before I did any paint. (if I end up liking chrome then I'll keep it this way). Things to note, remember how I was mentioning that the tires were very very hard to mount on my bike rims? Well, on these rims they are almost so easy they just pop in without any effort at all. I think the reason I was having **** was that my other rims have a special groove for downhill racing that won't let the tire fly off when you are screaming down a mountain. I don't recommend those kind of rims for this tire, or screaming down a mountain for that matter....:)
The wheels are simply fantastic. They are very ridged. I misspoke when I said my tire was cross five earlier. I actually counted it with the lights on this time, the front spokes are laced cross 3, and the rear is laced cross 4, both very common in the motorcycle world. These wheels are going to last forever. Worksman wheels rock. The front 90mm Sturmey/Archer dyno hub is a really FANTASTIC brake! I could just have this front drum on with nothing else and it would brake just fine, it's that good. Much better braking than my old 70mm drum. The rear Sportsman Flyer extra heavy duty drum brake hub is bulletproof. It looks fantastic, the workmanship is PERFECT, and it looks at home on the bike. The tolerances of Pats work is fantastic. CNC is the way to go.
photo-35.jpg
photo-34.jpg
photo-33.jpg

Thank you for the info concerning the 90mm front brake :) That's the one that I planned on using, but I was concerned about stopping power since it is a brake made for use on bicycles.

AKB said:
Thank you for the info concerning the 90mm front brake :) That's the one that I planned on using, but I was concerned about stopping power since it is a brake made for use on bicycles.

You are going to love this 90mm drum brake. It is the drum brake that thinks it is a disk. Just ride on it for about an hour of normal use and then re-adjust the cable and it will start working at peak.

Awesome. And I think I will do what sandmangts did, and hit it with some Rustoleum hammered finish spray paint (viewtopic.php?f=21&t=32386)
That will take the shine off of it, and make it look like cast iron rather than aluminum.

I had a rear axle bearing failure, this is the fix.

OK, my old Grubee China Girl motorbike axle had 2- 5200z bearings for a total Radial Dynamic load rating of 14,150 Newtons. My new Sportsman Flyer hub has 2-6001z bearings for a total Radial Dynamic load rating of 10,200. Probably ok, but if you want to up the load bearing rating you need to add bearings. Now I have 5-6001z bearings, 3 on the chain drive side and 2 on the pedal side, for a total of 25,500 Newtons. I doubt this set up will ever fail. Engineering wins! The Indian is heavy at 160lbs and has no rear suspension and 8hp. I need to over engineer the rear for the extra abuse this hub never was intended for.

Old configuration:
photo-36.jpg

New configuration:
photo-37.jpg

At the Wizzin (Wizz-In), I got used to Pats 200 unfinned flywheel, so I did what every great innovator does, I stole it! Lol. I machined the fins off my flywheel. I like the clean look. Opinions?
photo-38.jpg

That looks way better Cobrafreak, i was never a fan of the fins visually or safety wise. I think it looks a lot better and more vintage. Nice job.... you used your lathe?

Does the engine still run at an alright temperature now the fins are gone?

Back