Cobrafreak's board track racer project, has ended

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bike show today

I've never been in a bike show before so this will be a new experience for me. No prep time as I just found out about it late last night. There is a motorized class, so I will shoot for that. Here is a flyer if any of you locals can make it. Wish me luck.
photo-2.jpg
photo-1.jpg

Re: Cobrafreak's board track racer project, never ends!

Good luck Cobrafreak, im sure it will be absolute hit. Make sure you take some pics of your bike, and any other nice bikes.

I have actually entered my Villiers build and my girlfriends bike im building into "Greazefest" next month, a ratrod style carshow. Im interested to see what response i get. There is no motorized bicycle class so i will be judged in the bicycle section "King Lowrider". I doubt the bicycle guys will be pleased when they find out :wink:

Good work Cobrafreak, ya deserve it man. Im happy for you bro. You have one of the nicest bikes around fullstop. Were there any other nice ones there? Any bikes from on here?

Love the announcer saying you ran the motor all day, and that he hoped you had enough fuel to get home, lol...... glad to see you are using it. Keep up the good work and keep us posted.....

Thanks! I had a ball. I and my Wife must have spoken to over 70 or 80 people about the bike separately. Lots of pictures. There were not a lot of motorized bikes. Maybe 7 or 8 verses 300 regular bikes. I hope the tide shifts toward our hobby and people realize that you can do very creative things with bikes and engines. I didn't see any familiar bikes but I know some ratrod lurkers were they because they were calling me Cobrafreak. The 2nd place motorized bike was electric. It looked just like a ducati sport bike with fork, wheels,tank,seat, and tail peice but the engine space was motor and battery. Cool looking.

Oh dear. This thing sis amazing! Glad to see you were finally convinced the little double strokes are GARBAGE.

That new power fit's beautifully.

Very well executed.

Very cool..... good to see you got a starring roles in it.

I just wish we had shows like that in Australia, maybe we do but i dont know about em. Some very nice bikes there

I dunno about the AUS bike scene, but your car scene is UNREAL.

Car scene here is great, theres never too long between car shows and swap meets. But ive never heard of bicycle only shows or swap meets. But to be honest ive never relly looked for them, so maybe they do exist. But i would be willing to bet they dont get a turn out like that.

Im sure if we had as many beautiful old vintage bikes around as you guys we may have more of a following, and it doesnt help that internal combustion motorised bikes are illegal here :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

OK, I need to ask. Why the FRAK does Australia outlaw motorized bicycles? Your Country is in the middle of the F'ing Ocean. I can't imagine air quality if that poor.

Your country is in the middle of the ocean as well, most are lol. Just kidding

But i know what you are saying.... i have no idea why though, all i know is it sux

True, but you have more sharks that circle your Country constantly that should cause a whirlpool effect which makes all air pollution blow out to space. Lol. :D

I got a metal lathe!

Now I can do things I never could before. My rear Grubee HD axle stripped out on me because they used stupid 10mm X 1.0 extra fine thread in it. You can't torque down a 1.0 thread tight enough to keep the wheel safe-tight. Now I machined an all new extra thick axle and threaded it for 10mm X 1.5 course thread. This thing is never going to flex,strip, or break :D
photo-4.jpg

photo-3.jpg

You got youself a lathe huh?.... You lucky bugger, i see one in my future but cant afford it at present, hopefully some day soon :(

You are going to have to build another bike now that you have a lathe. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) or maybe that sidecart you were talking about a while ago. Anyways good score man, cant wait to see what you make with that thing. Keep us posted

New additions

I was getting tired of the leather tool bag because I really didn't like any of the places I had to secure it at on the bike. It looked big and clunky. I decided to make a faux oil reservoir and use it as a tool box. I have a lot more room and it looks better in it's new place. It also fills in some of the "gap" that I had between the rear fender and the seat tube. I was going to use a brass latch but I thought it would look "older" if I used a leather strap and buckle. The side hinges down after undoing the strap. On the right side of the tool box you can see the indian logo brass badge I had on my old engine. It looked too nice not to put back on the bike. In this picture you can also see the new modification to the chain adjuster. The old spring set up was just not cutting it any more. Upon deceleration the spring was unstable and would loosen too much no matter how much spring preload tension I put on it. Now I use a turnbuckle to adjust the chain and it works out really nice. I can micro adjust the chain at any time, even when riding if I needed to, and without any tools. This alone makes life a little easier.
photo-7.jpg
photo-6.jpg

Working leaf spring fork

My Son and I were talking about what to do yesterday and He said "Lets make the leaf spring fork working on the Indian". So we spent 8 hours on it. Welding, cutting, fitting, over and over again. Finally we did it. The front fork is a working leaf spring now. It doesn't have a lot of movement but you can feel it. It's less jarring to ride. Slightly more twitchy though. You can't take your hands off the bars anymore. Sacrifices for comfort I guess. It lengthened the wheelbase by 2 inches for a total of 77 inches from outside tire to outside tire. The bike is the proper length now. Worth the effort.
photo-8.jpg

Developing in a Board Track Racer

photo-9.jpg

I was pleased with the 77" length so I decided to go for the long and low look. I cut off my seat mounts and started over and ended up with a seat that is 2" lower in the rear and 1" lower in the front. I didn't know that it would be much more comfortable that I was used to, so it is a big bonus. Another bonus is the bike handles very well now. When I lowered the seat the 2" in the rear little did I realize that because I lowered the center of gravity the twitchiness I had because I lengthened the wheelbase disappeared. Remarkable what little adjustments can do. I splurged and ordered one of Pats' (of Sportsman Flyer BTR's) Board Track Racing handlebars. I think it will look exceptional with the long and low bike. Can't wait till I get the new bar and mount it. Maybe I'll get it in a week or so.

Back