Clover Lane

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1930 Elgin
Clover Lane
Paperboy

File0004.jpg

... the photo is of my father, the paperboy, rolling out the driveway onto Clover on April 10, 1938
Ramsey was a star. Depression era kid with a job. All the brothers had job's. They were paperboys.
And the cycle they used, or rather shared, has captured my imagination for years. What a bike.
It was old, beat, tough, it worked, it had to, it was a RatRod. What a grand time that must have been.

Not much can prove that time even existed without that shot.
But I do have this...

chadpunchytelegram.jpg

... the brothers punch, they shared this very one, it marked payment in their receipt book.

The thing makes triangle holes! :mrgreen:

chadpunchy.jpg

TIME TO GET STARTED
Want to build an Elgin, a parts bike, a bike tough enough to throw a paper route from.
This is Clover Lane

Great pic and story I was a paperboy for ten years!I cant wait to see what ya build.. :mrgreen:

A cycle needs: a complete frame, wheels & tires, seat, bars, not much else. Oh.. a badge.

Something like this.

cloverlanebadgeartwork.jpg

I have selected an Elgin frame from SimpleMan and really want to keep a lot of this build within the forum.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=45011

Really am stoked to get this 1940's Elgin and it will be here in a week or so.

HAVE A GREAT LABOR DAY WEEKEND AND THANK'S FOR STOPIN BY!

Great project and cool memories.......gonna be sweet!

I didn't really talk about fenders and a light for the whip but a donor Norman Of England has offered some up.

The light is a Miller headlamp which will probably be the cleanest part on the cycle.

millerclose.jpg

And I got the entire light package if needed but really just like the cool peaked headlamp.

millerlight.jpg

Matching peaked front and rear fenders as well.
The fenders are a funny fit on the Norman. The tires are 26x1 3/8
Wrapped around 26x2.125 tires they seem to look like they fit better.
Anyway, their dented and pitted but really sound and straight

fendersboth.jpg

fenderfronttip.jpg

fendersbothback.jpg

What good Irish Catholic would ever be caught
delivering his papers on Clover Lane
without his patron saint

fenderfrontchristopher.jpg

You bring back memories that were buried DEEP... My dear old Dad bought me a paper route in the early 60's, I was about 10 yrs. old. He was so excited and I was like: "What the..". I remember filling the paper bag, then placing it on the right side of the rear wheel, with the strap going over the rear carrier and hooking it on the axle. Although I wasn't thrilled to start with, it did TEACH me responsibility and a good work ethic. Did it for four years then when to work on tobacco farms for 60hrs a week in summer. Then at 15 worked at a Food Market....But as I look back it was the PAPER ROUTE that shaped my adult "work" life the most...THANKS! I'll be watching. :D

Cycling gives such independence when were growing up. I had a route.
This project is an easy one to understand. Perhaps universal in appeal? If so then cycles allowed it.
My shop is not much more than I had back when I threw.. that's why a parts bike.. a rat bike.
Just hope u all like how I ride it.

Ride On
Charles

Charles said:
A cycle needs: a complete frame, wheels & tires, seat, bars, not much else. Oh.. a badge.

Something like this.

cloverlanebadgeartwork.jpg

I have selected an Elgin frame from SimpleMan and really want to keep a lot of this build within the forum.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=45011

Really am stoked to get this 1940's Elgin and it will be here in a week or so.
Very cool, Charles... if you ever get some headbadges like that made up, I'll buy one from you. (I'm Paul from Night Riders).

Will do Paul.
Jones And Son will do the work for me to my artwork.
I should have one to show in a couple of weeks.

Thanks
Charles

Months ago I found a saddle mixed with a pile of scrap metal chairs at a curb.
This is the shot the day I found it.

personssaddle.jpg

Threw it in a 5gal bucket of used motor oil for two days.
Used the bar-b-q brush on it for a day.
Took some scrap saddle leather and an old wetsuit...

glue.jpg

...and recovered my first seat.

HPIM4192.jpg

It's now is working on a Higgins but I think it's destiny is clover.
I still have these scraps that I can use if I want. Might try to do this saddle again a little better.
Green bar tape?

leatherremnants.jpg

Will use at least one of these
Thanks Kevin!

greenreflectors.jpg

Other cycles finished & out of the build bay & parts showing up for this pug in the next day or two from many forum members got me thinking about what rims clover shall be a sportin... a paper route will never be thrown lest some wheels be on the grass. Eye?
With that in mind I dawned my finest painter shirt and did me job.

deadrabbits.jpg

One set of balloon rims from a 60's Hawthorne tandem that I own should fit fine. I put hybrid 26's on that double a while back.
Super true wheelset with tires for the mock-up, good threads & their not going to cost a thing... got em already!

wheelset.jpg

Was considering just running a modern chain, I have two I can use, or I can run a skiptooth like the project frame originally had.
Reading some threads on converting std sprockets to skiptooths lent both pro's & con's... thought I would trky it out first hand here.
First thing was to mark the teeth to be removed:

sprocketbendix20.jpg

WARNING! I do NOT recommend using, nor would rattrodd for that matter EVER recommend using tools unsafely!
ALWAYS wear Eye, Hearing & and Hand protection when working with tools. Keep power disconnect within reach at all times.
With that in mind I began to grind and shape a skippy.

Grinder.jpg

My grinder is pretty cool though.. right? Like I said I don't have a metal shop. Have bout what I had as a kid. That's why a parts bike.

grinderbooth.jpg

Bendix 10 in about 30 minutes. Looks pretty decent to me. Think?
Perhaps smooth out the valleys a bit.

skiptoothbendix10.jpg

Here Is Skippy next to an original J.C.Higgins rear cog and you can see the subtle difference.
Skippy is a thin cog with really pointed teeth... It should be Ok for the build so far... we will see how it works firsthand.

skiptoothvsbendix10.jpg

Frame arrives today and looking just impressive as Jeff described. WOW! "Just in shock that u really let this one go sman".
Decked out with a rich patina this Elgin has a curved seat tube and looks great already with my lucky 7 installed.
Was looking for a frame with dropouts for a stand.. Done
An straight as you can get. Has house paint on it but hasn't been hit by a house, you know.

Well enough clamor.. her she lie in all her emerald glory.

elginfront.jpg

elginright.jpg

elgintop.jpg

elginleft.jpg

elgindropouts.jpg

elginfrontclose.jpg

elginbottombracket.jpg

elgintopangle.jpg

I FEEL LUCKY!
Will only wax frame to protect it. Their only like this once you know! :wink:

elginwax.jpg

Mock up:
Frame waxed.
Fork, trusses, wheels & tires, crank, pedals, seat, stem and some bars. Check!
Crank really true so I will keep and just clean of rust along with some other parts.
Skip tooth will be the way to go! I'll find a 56long chain (already let three of them slip by.. argh!)
Might even look for a smaller front chain wheel something like a 24 or 25 tooth. We'll see what turns up.
Overall: Everything going well with this lassie..... fenders next.

elginmockleft.jpg

elginmockright.jpg

Back