(Class 1 MBBO#4) Cycledelic - seat fabric lol

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha! It's the other way around.
Paint depends on which wrap I use.
But I originally envisioned the blue green black.

Carl.
Ah! I see! I actually agree with you, paint is the easiest thing to change to get things to match.
My paint colour was decided on because of the fabric I chose for the seat...

Luke.

Stem mount is the last resort... I want something wild and different. Love to fab a console, the twin frame is crying out for it... May do the stem mount just so I can see if the Sturmey will shift the Shimano....

Carl.

Raleigh : Fireball 3 + 2.
Look it up.:grin:
Cool, I wonder if you could find a rarer 60's hub...
While mine isn't a fireball shifter it is a Sturmey Archer,
I wonder what else had the 3+2 hub...

Carl.

How 'bout using an old 8 track tape case, or Pong controller, or a shift cover from an old car for your shifter mount? Something from the era....probably would have vinyl wrap on it...:nod:

Ha side project...
My oldest boy saw one of these so I had to build one...

Didn't want to cut up a high end guitar,
and then this off brand cheapy feel into my lap.
Even has my last name on it...

Carl.

Last edited:
Does reshaping the body that much mess with the sound?
Well it has a different resonance to it now, and I wouldn't put it up against an American Fender by any standards, but it does sound fine. Of course I have no idea what it sounded like before, it was a husk when I got it.... ESP had Grassroots made a limited run of guitars like this a few years ago, they were marketed as "travel" guitars...

Carl.

Last edited:
Got my shifters from yeshoney...
SA32_zpsanyuwmwz.jpg

Sturmey Archer 2+3... got me thinking about my drive train...

[...]But I do like this piece! I've never seen a shifter like this before, or the combination 2 speed on one side and 3 speed on the other... What bike had that?
Well - according to Sturmey Archer, these shifters were Space Age Equipment for the Cycles of the Seventies :bigsmile: - your shifter shows up on page 2 ...

So this is a double shifter meant for use on the Sturmey Archer S 5/1 5-speed gear hub, which in fact was a 3-speed hub with an additional planetary gear activated by the second shift lever on the left side.

Will this SA work with my Shimano 333 three speed?
I am not quite shure about that - Sturmey used a bell crank mechanism (only) on the first iteration of the 5-speed hub, but they used it for the additional planetary gear on the left, not for the basic three speed mechanism.

And as far as I know, the basic Shimano '333' 3-speed hub was not a copy of any existing 3-speed hub - the internal mechanics are different from Sturmey Archer and Sachs/SRAM gear hubs, so I doubt that the shift ratios inbetween gears will be exactly the same (and the proper function of any geared hub very much depends on exact shifting steps ...).

So I think you may be better off looking for a Sturmey Archer 3-speed hub - maybe you'll even find a drum brake version ... ?

Yet another possibility would be to use two sprockets and a derailleur on a Sturmey Archer 3-speed hub - as far as I know this option was never offered offically by Sturmey, but British cyclists did this as a hack already in the 1960s. And Sachs offered a 2x3 kit for their 3speed hub back in the day. And yes - it worked on the coaster brake versions of this hub.

Well - according to Sturmey Archer, these shifters were Space Age Equipment for the Cycles of the Seventies :bigsmile: - your shifter shows up on page 2 ...

So this is a double shifter meant for use on the Sturmey Archer S 5/1 5-speed gear hub, which in fact was a 3-speed hub with an additional planetary gear activated by the second shift lever on the left side.

I am not quite shure about that - Sturmey used a bell crank mechanism (only) on the first iteration of the 5-speed hub, but they used it for the additional planetary gear on the left, not for the basic three speed mechanism.

And as far as I know, the basic Shimano '333' 3-speed hub was not a copy of any existing 3-speed hub - the internal mechanics are different from Sturmey Archer and Sachs/SRAM gear hubs, so I doubt that the shift ratios inbetween gears will be exactly the same (and the proper function of any geared hub very much depends on exact shifting steps ...).

So I think you may be better off looking for a Sturmey Archer 3-speed hub - maybe you'll even find a drum brake version ... ?

Yet another possibility would be to use two sprockets and a derailleur on a Sturmey Archer 3-speed hub - as far as I know this option was never offered offically by Sturmey, but British cyclists did this as a hack already in the 1960s. And Sachs offered a 2x3 kit for their 3speed hub back in the day. And yes - it worked on the coaster brake versions of this hub.

Yeah I kinda figured the shifter would be proprietary... and I just built that rim with the 333 Shimano...ha, at least I have the correct thumb shifter. I've actually been looking at that thumb shifter and brainstorming the modification of it into a console shifter. Thanks for the info I did find out it was from a 3+2 bike and read about it some...

Carl.

Cool looking shifters there Carl. I'd think the 3-speed one might be worth trying to see if it will shift the Shimano. They made some wild shifters for those.

I like the green/blue wrap. Cool guitar.

I think I'm gonna shelf the 3+2 shifter and mod my Shimano thumbshift.... Dead Metal may get the SA. The blue green is the one I chose too.

Carl.

bent my shift linkage to match my bars...
still need to fab a boot and shim the mount...
it's meant for a handle bar and my top rails aren't that thick!
threaded on the end... I wonder what I can find to put on there?

Carl.

Find an insert that can be bored into anything you want....pool ball's been done... beer tap handle, piece of guitar neck, action figure, golf cart handle, gaming control....sounds like a fun project to me!:grin:

Find an insert that can be bored into anything you want....pool ball's been done... beer tap handle, piece of guitar neck, action figure, golf cart handle, gaming control....sounds like a fun project to me!:grin:
Guitar neck would be awesome!

Luke.

Back