.... CL sellers

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: dang CL sellers

What really drives me nuts is finding a freshly posted deal that I really, really want, and after a few emails and calls, the seller never responds to say if the item is still available, or not, and the ad never gets deleted!

And dont you just love the insane prices people put on some of these bikes! They think they have some National Treasure or something. On the good side, I did get my Phantom on CL. I emailed the owner who told me that I was 5th in line . The next day he called me and said that the other 4 people never showed up and it was mine if I wanted it. I was there in 20 minutes : )

The worst I had was a kijiji seller who listed a nice 1970s sony stereo receiver who listed it at a good price ($40) it had been up for quite awhile so I figured it was probably gone but I shot off an email just to check if it was available. The guy emails back and says "oh I'm holding it for a week to see what the highest offer is, if you want I can keep you updated on the current price". To the guys credit he got an incredible price on it in the end ($85) but IMHO if you list a price, that's the price, if you want offers don't list a price.

I get tons of no shows and have stopped putting things I would consider trades for on my listings because the trade offers are always of way out of line. On future listings I'll use some of the strategies listed in this thread. Thanks!

I don't like it when CL sellers insult our intelligence. :(

insult.png

When sellings bikes on Craigslist I've had the same problems with buyers as the other sellers on here. In my case about 50% - 70% of the e-mails I get from Craigslist buyers are a total waste of my time. Some of the sellers on CL are also a real joke such as trying to sell a bike with no real information or even photos of it. I have also replied to several CL bike ads and never received an answer back. When I place a bike ad on CL I always put in my ad, "If the ad is up, the bike is still available". As soon as my bike sells I also delete the ad.

I never deliver a bike, if you deliver a bike the buyer has nothing to lose by backing out of the deal. If the buyer comes to look at your bike they are out at least their time and gas so they just might be really interested.

When a buyer asks me to hold a bike for a few days until they can pick it up, I tell them to pay me with PayPal and I will be glad to hold the bike until they can pick it up. If they really want the bike they will pay with PayPal or I don't hear back from them and they were wasting my time anyway. I've had some of the people pay me and the others I never heard back from. I have also bought bikes on Craigslist and paid for them with PayPal and picked the bikes up several days later. The sellers are happy as they already have their money.

I've sold to the first person who stops in, saved it for someone who called first when someone else showed up and have been flaked on. The thing I am running into now as a buyer is more people in the midwest and east coast will not ship anything. There are about 5 bikes I really really wanted and was told "well, find someone here who will ship it to you" and my favorite when I asked a guy if he could part out a bike for me "I am not very mechanical". A screwdriver and wrench aren't really that hard. I wasn't asking to have him remove a spleen or kidney........ :lol:

I just sold a bike this last weekend and the people drove 5 hours on a 3 hour trip for a $80 dollar bike ( the gps took them off the highway) and they got lost) but happy as clams when they came. as far as delivery , I will do it to a desinated spot like I would do normally for lunch if they show great,if they don't I have to pay for my own lunch :roll:

Rat Rod said:
I've had one even call for directions while they were on the road and they never showed up. :x

Just out of curiosity, how good were your directions? :shock: :lol:

Rooski said:
What really drives me nuts is finding a freshly posted deal that I really, really want, and after a few emails and calls, the seller never responds to say if the item is still available, or not, and the ad never gets deleted!

This is the worst!!!

2 or 3 weeks ago, I sold a bike on CL for 60 bucks. The next day, the buyer placed a CL ad to resell the same bike for 120 bucks. W.T.F.? Turns out he owns a small bike business, selling Macargi's, and some used stuff.

Oh well, it's still listed for sale, today, so I wish him luck :)

Latest posts

Back