.... CL sellers

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a buddy off another site offered to go get a frame for me and so he leaves half way there he gets a call and the guys sold the thing before he could get there he was like 20 mins away man what a crock so now I dont have a summer build yet

Re: dang CL sellers

Man, I can't stand when people do that. I drove across town for a lawnmower once. As I pulled up, someone was pushing it away. He yells to me "oh, are you the guy that was driving over to pick this up? Sorry, I just sold it". As he's saying this, the purchaser is pushing her prize away quickly just to be extra sure it's all hers. :x

I sold two bikes on CL yesterday. had i situation crop up where i could have flaked on a guy that was driving from an hour away. i did the honorable thing. but i'm sure we're in the minority. CL is a breeding ground for flakes.

If someone says they're on the way, I always hold it for them. If they sound trustworthy and give me a time, I'll wait for them. If they say they'll call me back when they're ready to come look, I don't wait :)

The other side of the coin is the goobers that say they are coming and never do.

I've had one even call for directions while they were on the road and they never showed up. :x

Rat Rod said:
The other side of the coin is the goobers that say they are coming and never do.

I've had one even call for directions while they were on the road and they never showed up. :x
60% show up
I had a guy email me 15 times today excited about buying my moped was coming tomorrow at 1:30 then the last email was "oh sorry I forgot my brother is going to borrow my truck for 2 weeks hope you still have it then" lol

If I make a date, I keep it, if they don't show, I cuss 'em and go on.

I also tell the next guy interested that if it becomes a no-show, he will be immediately at the first in line, the no show looses unless 2nd guy is no longer interested, then it's back to square one.

They act like they are going to wal-mart and there's a whole rack to choose from when-ever they get a roundtuit. Flakes is a good description.

On the other side, a lot of people show up within 15 minutes of when they say they will be here. They get consideration if they want to make an offer on my price.

(I think we switched over from buying to selling!).

I have been pretty lucky lately. Somewhere around 95% of my craigslist people show up. Most are punctual, also. Madison has a pretty fierce second hand bike market, however. Our prices on used bikes show it. :shock:

I did have a real humdinger recently. After 3-4 calls, this guy came by to check out a bike. He looked it over and chatted with me for 20 minutes. Generally, he is picking the bike to pieces, looking for a better price. Then he took it for a test ride. He comes back and wants the seat adjusted. Test ride. Next the bars. Another test ride.

After another 15 minutes, he tells me he wants the bike, but is completely broke. "Maybe I'll go take my scrap in, and see how much I have."

:x

Of course that was the last I ever saw of him.

(edited a jillion times for grammar and crappy spelling)

harquahalas said:
If someone says they're on the way, I always hold it for them. If they sound trustworthy and give me a time, I'll wait for them. If they say they'll call me back when they're ready to come look, I don't wait :)

i used to do the honorable thing and hold items for people, but it seems 99% of the time, i'm on the other end of the equation. (people say there coming and never show up.) i've lost sales 100's of times cause i was holding set item for somebody and refused to sell it out from under them. i couldn't even calculate the hours i've spent waiting on noshows. even when they say they'll be there in 5 min's.

case in point, my 1967 305 big bear.
guy came to see me 4 times over the course of a week. begged me to hold it. gave me a $50 deposit. 3 months later the bikes still in my sun porch.

now it always first come first served, cash is king, money talks b.s. walks etc etc.

I always Insist the buyer calls me when they are leaving, I tell them I may be away from the house, that way I narrow it down to an hour or so, And I never got a buyer who said they were leaving now not show up.
On the other hand I have gotten hundreds who say they will be here at a certain time the next day, If they don't call again to let me know they are leaving, or to find out if the bike is still available, I don't wait. AND, those are the ones that do never call back.

I'll only hold for one hour and then I go to the next buyer. unless we set a time and I get a cell phone number.
I always call someone before I go to buy something and give them an idea of how long it will take to get there, and if it's sold when I arrive, I thank them for being patient and that it's only my time and gas they have just wasted. You get some fun looks, but maybe it makes them think (or not).

im still sore with a guy on craigslist(seller) for a 30s columbia i was supposed to get(about 3 years ago....id search for the thread but it too burried by now) :x :x :x

a guy called last night and said he wanted a TV i had listed. he showed up with his wife and his brother, came in and asked me to hook the TV back up (43" rear projection, we had to move it across the living room to hook it back up)

they said they liked it, he said "i forgot to get money, we'll go to food lion ATM real quick. be RIGHT BACK. I'll be RIGHT BACK, like, 5 minutes."

they left and didnt come back, didnt call, nothing. awesome.

kinggargantuan said:
a guy called last night and said he wanted a TV i had listed. he showed up with his wife and his brother, came in and asked me to hook the TV back up (43" rear projection, we had to move it across the living room to hook it back up)

they said they liked it, he said "i forgot to get money, we'll go to food lion ATM real quick. be RIGHT BACK. I'll be RIGHT BACK, like, 5 minutes."

Oh man...that is lame.

People just need to man up and say...hey, I think I'll have to pass.

Unless of course they got kidnapped on the way. :lol:

Rat Rod said:
kinggargantuan said:

Oh man...that is lame.

People just need to man up and say...hey, I think I'll have to pass.

Unless of course they got kidnapped on the way. :lol:

thats what happens when the world goes p.c. ......you just dont want to hurt there feelings....so its better to just flake and leave them hanging :roll:

I try to do Craigslist deals early in the morning so if a person doesn't follow through, I can go to the next person and work down the clock. Surprisingly, I haven't had a no-show yet this year. :wink:

Back