Chunky Monkey- 12/20 Drum Brake added.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Postwar Huffman frame with assorted parts.
3spd Nexus Electra Ghost Rider wheels.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=18519

Assemble went pretty quick after I bought a new bellcrank for the shifter. I also bought a new chain which I had never done before. :shock: Handlebars may be cut down and a custom shifter or different placement may be in order. Rides like a dream and probably my best riding cruiser. Definately plan on keeping.

downsized_0730091253.jpg

downsized_0730091254.jpg

downsized_0730091254a.jpg

Re: Fatti-Huff 3spd.

Thanks for all the comments. This is my new favorite "old" bike to ride.

Rat Rod said:
That's one Chunky Monkey....looks cool!

I kinda like that ......I might have to use it for the name.

UncleKudzu said:
now, that's a handsome ride! how do you like the Nexus three-speed hub?
The 3spd is great on this bike. I have used them elsewhere but really seems to help get around.

bugsy_malonn said:
That looks sick man and those wheels make it I will forever kick myself for skiping those :wink: :D :lol:
I am pretty fast on CL so the race is on. :mrgreen: :wink:

Re: Chunky Monkey- 3spd Huffman

Uncle Stretch sent me a drum brake from a industrial bike. I decided to lace up to this rimset. I had some 12 gauge spokes cut and threaded in the proper length. The finally result looks like a moped rim with the beefy spokes and drum brake. I need to still connect the brake cable as soon as Uncle Stretch tells me how do the bottom cable anchorage.

This bike will be used for next summer's Bogus Bomb Run.

1220091410.jpg

1220091410a.jpg

Man that looks good on there. Love those tires .I took a piece of aluminum strap about 1'' wide and 1/16'' thick and made a strap around the bottom leg and went to the hole next to that slot. Unless you have it bolted to the fork leg or that piece of stock welded inside the leg . This was mine on a rollfast I have. Maybe you can enlarge the pic....notice the original paint on the frame....one of the few I have. :lol:

rollfastre001.jpg

I found a strap to use-something off a 3speed. Is mine on backwards or does it matter? Your way is probably better as the working arm is more protected.

Yeah I dont think it matters either....Yours is probably the right way, at least that is the way Worksman puts them on. Car drum brakes have the shoes differant ,but on those they are the same front and back. The reason I did it was to make my brake cable a little more of a straight shot. I could have shortened it a little ,but I chose easy.

In theory, if the shoes are different lengths, the long one goes in back, and if the anchor arm is held by a strap, it should pull against it, not push. In actual practice, it probably doesn't matter much on a bicycle. Probably not news to you, just my $.02.

thanks for opinions on orientation.

I am gonna leave it as is. I "rigged" the anchorage on the bottom and installed the cable and brake lever. Stopping is perfect at slower speeds, but I will see how it works on a 16 mile downhill ride.

They are suppose to work good ,due to the thick aluminum dissapating all that extra heat. I think the little fins help too. Now all you have to find is a 16 mile high mountain to ride off of. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts

Back