Chunky Monkey- 12/20 Drum Brake added.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Uncle Stretch said:
They are suppose to work good ,due to the thick aluminum dissapating all that extra heat. I think the little fins help too. Now all you have to find is a 16 mile high mountain to ride off of. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Easy. We have mountains not hills.
bogus-1.jpg

So are those 24 inch wheels on that beast? And where do you guys get these 3 speed hubs. Everybody around here wants an arm a leg and sometimes a testical :shock:. Also will the drumb brake do as good as a disk on the down hill run?

The 24" wheels and tires were dumb luck on CL. $80.00 from a custom builder that always has extra parts.

Disk brakes would be much better. This down hill run is on paved roads so the drum will be adiquate.

Ok your not out sking Lets see a pic with the cable hooked to the drum brake. :roll: Any problems finding the stuff to hook it up with?

Uncle Stretch said:
Ok your not out sking Lets see a pic with the cable hooked to the drum brake. :roll: Any problems finding the stuff to hook it up with?
The Hill got 5" new inches last night and still snowing....... Actually work has been busy today with no way to get away.

Pictures should come in the next day or so. Holidays with a full family are gonna have me busy. Maybe post a picture when I receive my new bike on Wed/Thurs. :mrgreen:

I used part of the cable anchorage that holds the straddle wire on cantilever brakes with some extra washers.

Ok so let me get this straight you cant get away because of something called work...What is that? and Santa is bringing you a new bike for Christmas....man you know how to live.Did you get the red rider bb gun too?

I guess thats one way to do it. The bad part is with that cable crunched down like that and cant swivel it will probably cut your cable pretty quick. I might have the setup in the garage. I have a worksman three wheeler with a drum on the front . I will look in the morning. It should have the right stuff on it. I can see now I will have to start sending more parts when I give you something. :lol:

Figure on a bike part that it will have some non standard parts. The bottom just sits in that indention without being tight. The spring holds it there. I wil try to find another set I have and shoot them to ya.

hubparts001.jpg

hubparts003.jpg

Hey Cman i was woundering how your brake is doing? I got one the other day with some heavy duty spokes looks like what you got. I think im gonna put it on my motor bike project.
alexsb-day098.jpg
alexsb-day102.jpg
Would it be better to weld a stop on the forks?

It is good. Paul sent me a nice custom cable end so the cable doesn't wear. I may end up relacing it, because the spoke holes need drilling out. That will go perfect on a motorbike project. Built up with the heavy spokes makes for a beefy wheel.

I havent seen any but a bike guy told me they make small brass inserts that will let you go back to 14 ga spokes on one. I may have to find some. I have several of those drum hubs and they would look cool on something other than pencil sized spokes.

Yeah they are about 10 ga . You can drill out a regular rim and run those. Kinda hard to lace....you wont do the ol traditional over over under. They dont either. I have some fair to rusty worksman rims If you need one Maddog. The worse ones you can sand and paint.

Thanks for the offer Uncle Stretch but i have some steel hoops i was going to drill out. So you cant do the over over under lace pattern with these thick spokes?

Back