Chuffstah, Done! Page 4

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Chuffstah, Please be seated. Please

Hopefully this is the last thing to take care of. I'm sure there will be little stuff but...

I've been struggling with this seat for too long now. What a pain. It has gotten me mad a couple times, I try not to throw things but sometimes..GRRRRR.

Here is the seat without it's cover, I bent the front in so it would lay down on the top tube, trying to get it low.

chuff-seat1.jpg

chuff-seat2.jpg

The mounting flanges? had to be bent so they would fit over the seat tube, which I left to catch the seat from going too far down. The flange is quite sturdy! GRRRRR! It had to go back far enough that I couldn't use the regular collar to bolt the flange to and the flange wouldn't have fit over the collar anyway.

chuff-seat3.jpg

The back, bent to clear the tire, hopefully there will be enough room for the cover to go on without rubbing.

chuff-seat4-1.jpg

This is the mount that I came up with, it'll be drilled to take a bolt through the flange and there will probably be a tubing spacer to keep it from squishing out, up, off, whatever. GRRRRRRRRR!!! :x

chuff-seat5.jpg

Here's the other side of this problem. This all has to line up but if you move one thing everything else has to be moved so if you made a bracket or whatever it has to be remade.

chuff-seat6.jpg

I don't like that it all seems sort if scabbed together, but I'm coming up on time so.. I suppose that more black paint will tie it all together.
It's the angles, with the sissy bar and the seat, I can't bolt the sissy bar right to the seat because the sissy bar would have to lay way back. That's a temporary bracket, I'll make a heavier one that is smoothed in.

So that's where I am, I go back to work tomorrow but I get off at 3:30 so I should be able to get some stuff done. Gotta go now have dinner with my mother in law.

Re: Chuffstah, pedals

Cribbing from thirdcoastpedaler and his awesome El Guapo build, I had my wife pick out some images for these pedals. She uses found images in her art so it was no trouble for her. I am very happy with what she came up with.

from the Space Shuttle cockpit:
pedal-shuttle.jpg

aw nuts!
pedal-nuts.jpg

patina
pedal-railing.jpg

and of course...SPRAY BOMBS!! :D :D :D
pedal-cans.jpg

I'm really closing in on it now, the seat is about figured out. Arrrgh, so close, it's killin' me!

Re: Chuffstah, Pedals

Jack, that huffman looks like a good STREET DIGGER II build. get it done. that is a nice bike.

Outlaw 8)

Re: Chuffstah, Pedals

Outlaw, Thanks, it is done. I haven't ridden it yet. I will in the morning. I have to sit on the very front of the seat or it sags down and the tire rubs it. I've got a couple shaft collars on order to clamp the bottom of the sissy bar to. Also where the seat bolts to the sissy bar needs some work, that joint rotates and that, I think is what allows the seat to sag. I dunno, I'll get it figured out. I can't wait to ride it, it's sitting in the living room looking BAA-AD !

A ride and pictures tomorrow after I take my wife to work, then home to post up and then clean the shop!!

The name-
-Chuffed, British slang for excited or enthused (among other, less wholesome things.)
-Huffy, well...yeah.
-stah,is for hipstah. Here in Maine folks put their R's in strange places, so they say lobstah instead of lobster. so the stah is really ster, 'cuz people say I'm a hipster. I don't like it but I suspect it might be true :roll: .

chufffronttoback.jpg

There will be more pics in the group build thread later.
Thanks for looking!
Jack

WOW...So many members..So many threads! I never saw this build. I just read every page. I REALLY like the look of this bike. NICE!
I also think the fork jig you made, for bending, is "ingenious" (We don't ALL weigh 250lbs., like myself)....I think you should ADD it to the fork bending thread, with pics and an explanation of how you made it.
Again GREAT bike!

Hey there,

KJV, Just about! Pretty much with my head on the ground. There is little traffic out here & I can mostly hear it coming. :)

Kota, Thanks for your encouraging words. I probably don't have to explain that your bikes were alot of why the bike looks like it does. And thanks for your work on the fork bending thread, I will do a post about my jig, thank you.

Outlaw, OK 8)

Thanks to everyone whose ideas I cribbed (stole? :wink: ).

Yeah, I like it. This is the first time I've built anything like this. I keep seeing it in the living room and I smile every time. I've never seen any rat rod or lowrider or anything in person. So it's weird being around this....thing. All my other bikes are awesome but they are not rods.

It also isn't actually running right now, I still have to make a bracket to stiffen up the joint between the seat and sissy bar. I need to tie in two more screws to keep it from flexing and dropping the seat onto the rear tire :| . And then of course there is the inevitable drive train tune-up.

It'll be fun to ride it. I'm tired of working on it right now. Gonna fix up a MTB for my friends wife. I wanna start another rat right now!

chuffrd2.jpg

chuffrd9.jpg

chuffrd7.jpg

I hear ya' they're addictive. BTW I just noticed the truss rod mounts, great idea. I'll probably be using that. :D

Yeah, I like the way those came out. I was going to use some steel acorn nuts but the only ones I could find were stainless, so they did not take a patina at all. I'm glad that happened, I think the brass looks good. I should get bronze ones and let them turn green. Doing the patina work was some of the most rewarding time spent on the project.

Thanks for the compliments.

Latest posts

Back