Chain Slips. Additional Questions??

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok, first off I have a cheep AMXtream Stealth DX (probably walmart mountain bike) this is an exact copy:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=694667

My problem is when I really get on it (going up steep hills, standing up, etc...) the chain seems to slip until I get up to speed(regardless of the gear I am in). I thought it might be the sprocket teeth were worn but then I saw some of the chain rings on some of theses bikes and decided maybe not. Then I thought something might be wrong with the shifter/tensioner. But to be honest I know nothing about anything with more than one speed.

Any suggestions would be great. keep in mind I got this bike for $5 at a police auction, but I still do not want to spend much.

Re: Chain Slips

See if the chain rings rotate with the cranks when you put some torque to them, they might be slipping.

Check the wear on the rear gears- cassette. Shark fins mean they are worn
Measure the chain for "stretch". 12 full links should measure 12- 12 1/16" , 12 1/8" chain is worn out

Either of those and you should replace both.

You may be getting some ghost shifting. Causes of ghost shifting: poor cable adjustment or bent derailer hanger.

Park Tool can help with the derailer adjustments. http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... derailleur

Bent hanger too. http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... -alignment easiest with the tool but can be bent with and adjustable wrench too.

Wildcat said:
See if the chain rings rotate with the cranks when you put some torque to them, they might be slipping.

Yes they rotate, as my legs jerk with the slip.

Probably the pawls on the inside of the freewheel are not fully engaging or have worn so they slip from engagement when you put the pedal to the metal.. new freewheel would fix it.

The der. frame looks normal, from what I can see, although the Idler wheel is damaged. I suspect your gear cluster is bad, probably the freewheel ratchet, although it could be the teeth. Hard to tell over the 'net.

Well looks like something is wrong with the outer most gear, as long as I only use gears 1-5, no slips, try to use 6 and it starts to slip. Any reconmendatiosn and a replacement casset? Thansk in advance.

High gear on almost all of the mountain bikes I work on is almost always the most worn being as it is the one used the most by alot of people. The only way to fix it is to replace the cassete and chain with new or a set that has even wear. If you replace on or the other you will still have slipping as one part will still be too worn out. The only other option is not to use high gear. Best of luck. Matt

Check the set screws on the front and rear Derailleurs you may just need an adjustment of those get a small screw driver and give very small turns on them. My road bike wasn't shifting right either till I played around with them.

Latest posts

Back