Cash Matthews - 70s Pro BMX Racer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Work or home?

Cash just picked up the Sting-Ray and headed for the Hill Country. :D

While he was here he also picked up this totally cool vintage X-15 tricycle with swiveling wheels out back.

He also visited the guys at Bicycle Exchange in Carrollton and picked up a few old school BMX parts.

Great guy to talk with and meet.

IMG_2311.jpg

IMG_2312.jpg

IMG_2313.jpg

What's he going to do with the bike?

Get a GREEN MACHINE, a 60 year old can ride it. Don't ask me how I know that. :lol:

And believe it or not...someone posted that thing on the CL for $10!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Cash said he has a poster of that trike on his wall at home....how cool is that.

Last week on CraigsList I missed out on a great deal. An original good condition Schwinn Stingray Apple Krate for $50... but the person who has it probably thinks he's still in his dream!!! lol

schwinnmesa said:
Last week on CraigsList I missed out on a great deal. An original good condition Schwinn Stingray Apple Krate for $50... but the person who has it probably thinks he's still in his dream!!! lol

Would this be the controversial Apple Krate? :lol:

Rat Rod said:
schwinnmesa said:

Would this be the controversial Apple Krate? :lol:

if its anything like the last bike i went to go see, they said it was a 68 schwinn fastback and were very specific about the details, when i got there it was a girls murray monteray :shock:

Hi Steve and fellow Rat Rod enthusiasts!

It was so great to meet you last week and pick up the cool Schwinn. I put it back together when I got home Thursday night and rode it around my neighborhood even before going in to see my family. It is hard to believe that we actually raced on those bikes back in the early 70s. I have some pics of us jumping ramps in 1973 on a Schwinn Sting Ray.

Steve,thanks for posting up that interview. That was fun to do and I am really happy those fellows are keeping the history of Mongoose alive in such a grand fashion. I still communicate with lots of the old guys and recall my time with Mongoose fondly. BMX was such a great thing to happen in my life and I am confident that it was from the hand of God that things turned out such as they did. All I really wanted to do was ride a motorcycle, but that was not to be.

Anyway, I hope to check in here often and appreciate anyone who loves or rides bikes. As kids, these bikes were our first real expression of freedom and I recall those moments sweetly and with much fondness.

Hey Cash, my wife and I met you in Houston back in 2003 I think it was at a bicycle swap meet------the three of us went to McDonald's for breakfast. I'm also known as "Oldschooler" on VBMX.com ....

GREAT to see that you're still around my friend!

Brian

Glad to see you made it Cash.

Here's fair warning though...this vintage cruiser business can be highly addictive.

It's been known to draw men of goodwill away from other more respectable forms of the hobby.

Either that or it just draws them to the Goodwill. :lol: :lol:

It's great to have you on The site Cash...

My Love for all Bikes....has me here, and on OS BMX, BMCMUSEUM, and TT BBX.

I was bitten hard buy the Vintage BMX bug....
and have 3 mongooses ( in parts and F/F ) in my Collection.
as well as a List of other Pre 85 Bikes...

but I am working on a Few 26 Cruisers right now...They please both my frosted side...and my Plain side :lol: :lol: :lol:

I just scored an Old Canti Style Vintage Cruiser Frame from the Recycle Depot..
and I am going to Run it as a 26 BMX. ( Like a Bassett )
I am starting with only Frame....and I'll probably weld on horizontal Drop-outs..
and straight 26 Forks..

It's GREAT to have you on the site!!!
I look forward to reading your Posts..

peace,
Kev.

Latest posts

Back