Can't find a shop to straighten forks

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been on the phone all morning trying to find a shop locally (s.w. Missouri) to fix a slight bend in a set of Schwinn tiger forks. I've been told " can't be fixed but I can sell you a new set " to " get rid of that old bike and buy a new one" makes me want to bang my head against the wall. Id like to keep the original forks on the bike. Maybe I need to find another set of black forks with the pinstriping. Apparently, the local shops think old bikes are crap. :shock:
aefd920b-2490-8c3f.jpg

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Yeah my local shops are like that too. I have had good luck with service through my local Schwinn dealer. They actually have respect for vintage bikes....as long as they are their brand.

outskirtscustoms said:
Yeah my local shops are like that too. I have had good luck with service through my local Schwinn dealer. They actually have respect for vintage bikes....as long as they are their brand.
Im hoping youre right. My local Schwinn dealer is closed on Mondays. I left a message on their answering machine.

Yeah and when you take it in try to talk to the oldest guy at the shop. Most the others are only interested in selling you another bike. If all else fails just get another fork. About $25 shipped on eBay for an original one.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem ... 9329283488

Or a springer!

I'm pretty sure it's became a liability thing for bike shops. My lbs will actually take the time to do it, but he will warn you and wont charge a dime to do it either. I've straightened plenty myself with no troubles though.

Ive got one of these little brute tools now that came with a bike lot i bought a long time ago ...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18615&p=224671&hilit=brute#p188945

but i used to do it with the bike flipped upside down the same way, a port-o-power with a block of wood against the forks. Kind of expensive if you don't already have the stuff laying around but that's how i did it. Otherwise as mentioned above, buying another fork to replace it may be the cheaper option.

CCR said:
I'm pretty sure it's became a liability thing for bike shops. My lbs will actually take the time to do it, but he will warn you and wont charge a dime to do it either. I've straightened plenty myself with no troubles though.

Ive got one of these little brute tools now that came with a bike lot i bought a long time ago ...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18615&p=224671&hilit=brute#p188945

but i used to do it with the bike flipped upside down the same way, a port-o-power with a block of wood against the forks. Kind of expensive if you don't already have the stuff laying around but that's how i did it. Otherwise as mentioned above, buying another fork to replace it may be the cheaper option.
Thanks for the idea. I guess im getting too caught up in keeping it original. :smile:

outskirtscustoms said:
Yeah and when you take it in try to talk to the oldest guy at the shop. Most the others are only interested in selling you another bike. If all else fails just get another fork. About $25 shipped on eBay for an original one.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem ... 9329283488

Or a springer!
I am starting to lean toward a springer. I just don't have a clue which one to buy. Vintage or new? I like vintage better. :shock:

If you want quality go vintage. If it's just a weekend rider and you want budget friendly the newer ones will work. Just be sure to measure your steer tube length and get the right size.

outskirtscustoms said:
If you want quality go vintage. If it's just a weekend rider and you want budget friendly the newer ones will work. Just be sure to measure your steer tube length and get the right size.
It measures about 7 " I really like the look of the old forks for sure! Im definitely going vintage.

I've clamped the both blades in a large vise with the threaded portion sticking up. And with a 3 foot length of pipe that just fits over the threaded portion slowly apply bending pressure. Two or three attempts may be required to get it back to straight. I use smooth vise jaws to avoid scarring the fork blades. It works for me. Gary

CHAMPION123 said:
I've clamped the both blades in a large vise with the threaded portion sticking up. And with a 3 foot length of pipe that just fits over the threaded portion slowly apply bending pressure. Two or three attempts may be required to get it back to straight. I use smooth vise jaws to avoid scarring the fork blades. It works for me. Gary
Good idea. Thanks!!

are you just trying to fix that the fork is bent towards the frame a little bit?? if so, do it the way that the previous owner bent em like that to begin with!!! take the fender off, spin the front wheel around, find a brick wall, ride head first into it!! ive heard of ppl doing it this way but never actually have done it myself lol. hope that helps?

Easy E

elvis51 said:
are you just trying to fix that the fork is bent towards the frame a little bit?? if so, do it the way that the previous owner bent em like that to begin with!!! take the fender off, spin the front wheel around, find a brick wall, ride head first into it!! ive heard of ppl doing it this way but never actually have done it myself lol. hope that helps?

Easy E
Lol! You know what? I never thought of that. My kids would.love to see me do that. I should video it!

elvis51 said:
cman said:
Please video.

at least wear a helmet! safety first, or at least top 5 is what i always say...

Easy E
What's the fun of wearing a helmet!! My wife is a Neuro trauma ICU nurse so I will be well cared for. I go with safety 3rd.

mocrawler said:
elvis51 said:
cman said:
Please video.

at least wear a helmet! safety first, or at least top 5 is what i always say...

Easy E
What's the fun of wearing a helmet!! My wife is a Neuro trauma ICU nurse so I will be well cared for.

oh your golden then!! get after it man!!!

Easy E

I don't recommend the crash method. Your skull isn't the reason, there's a chance the front loop of the frame may bend instead. I've straightened more than a couple over the years with a long piece of pipe and the curlicue of a porch rail.

Back