BUTCHERED BANTAM- updated 7-17

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The tearing down of this Bantam went like most others, hard nut/bolts on the fenders and always a surprise. This time it was a spilt steertube, but that goes hand in hand with old bikes. I am planning on building this for my sons. I would like to keep the old paint, but the cutting and welding will probably warrant a new paint job. The tank is a convertable bar from an unknown bike. The wheels were fairly crusty rusty on the inside. I used a steel brush to get the loose stuff off then I sprayed with some stuff that stops and coverts the rust to metal- bought at NAPA.

The top girly tube will but cut out and the tank will be fit and welded into place.

0308081101b.jpg

Re: Butchered Bantam

youre doing what to that poor bike?!?!? :wink:
jk looks like you kids are gonna have a great new bike! that tank looks great and looks like itll drop on with out any problems........cant wait to see more of this one :mrgreen:

Re: Butchered Bantam

Received the new fork today( thanks 66olds).

Cut the top bar out and fit the tank. I can get away with bolting the tank instead of welding. I left some of the top bar to bolt in the front and used the seat bolt for the rear. Still trying to come up with a color scheme to paint the whole bike. Also need to figure out some different bars. Some small moon bars would be ideal, if not maybe some small riser/apes.

0310081803.jpg

0310081804.jpg

Re: Butchered Bantam-pics updated 3/10

looks good!how about cream(schwinn ivory) with black scallops and red pins? just about opposite of the schwinn paint jobs....but would still have the right feel and(my $.01)look good :mrgreen: what ever ya do with it though its gonna look nice!

Looks good, Cman! Wish I would have thought of something like that! The moon bars would be cool, just like a mini cruiser 8) Keep it up!

Thanks for comments.
66olds i am guessing Electra would have that type of bars.

CarolinaRat- the top bar I bought not knowing what to do with it until I trade 66olds for this Bantam.

Sensor, I am no Micheal Angelo, but the sounds good. I am thinking about painting the frame, tank, fork and chainguard all the same color then accent strips or scallops on the tank and chainguard. I was in the garage and though about matching the wifes bike that is burgundy with cream.
0930071409.jpg

thatd be cool! (whew...thought about the combo i suggested and got to thinking itd look good on the kids build im doing :roll: )
guess i will use it now :roll: i still love your wifes bike!

What did you do with the fenders? $$$ :D

KOTA said:

I have them and hadn't decided yet. If they do go on the bike they will be bobbed :shock: I figure I cut the frame why not the fenders :lol: .

Hmmm. What kind of $$$$?

cman said:
KOTA said:

I have them and hadn't decided yet. If they do go on the bike they will be bobbed :shock: I figure I cut the frame why not the fenders :lol: .

Hmmm. What kind of $$$$?

The back fender on the PhantomBantam Is pretty beat up. I,m going to put the "front" fender in the rear, and bob the rear fender for the front. Hopefully I don't mess it up, but if I do......... :roll:

Kota , my rear fender is beat up too.

Not much progress. Shined up the chrome rims, new tires, grips. I decided not to paint the frame as the red is not bad and I like old Scwhinn paint. I am painting the tank. It will be a Hammered silver with red stripes in the center. Gonna tape the stripes on tomorrow and paint the silver on .

0319082207.jpg

Cool! I'm planning on using the hammered paint on my rims and bars, never used it before, can't wait to see how it looks. it would be much appreciated if you share any "tricks" or techniques on that type of paint! :)

Re: Butchered Bantam-pics updated 3/21

Masked the strips on the tank. Simple Stripes but I think they look great.
0321081716.jpg

Painted with the "hammered"paint but didnt look too much like the can. That is alright as I like the metalic look.
Pics not great but those will come later.
0321081835.jpg

nothing wrong with simple(like i was always told give it a kiss*keep it simple stupid* by one of my old bosses)
looks good so far(side note i WASNT calling anyone stupid) :mrgreen:

hey as simple as that pattern is, i like it... i might borrow and adapt it if that's ok...

--rick

Sensor- I am a firm believer in KISS.

ParkRNDL. No problem. There are only so many things you can do with masking tape. As for DUct tape, that is a different deal.

Latest posts

Back