BUILD OFF #6 DISCUSSION

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I try to keep the budget on my build low but feel I've got too much in it already.

I think it's unavoidable and quite normal when have your mind set on what you want to build. I have some stuff in my collection, but only a fraction of that ends up on my build(s). For instance: I have a lote of spare 26" tires, but this time I wanted to use a 28" wheel in the back and that meant buying a new wheel. While mocking up I decided that a 28" in the front would be the best combination to achieve what I had in mind. But that meant also buying a 28" frontwheel. 2nd hand, but still, it all adds up... For this build I've spend $150,- (and the frame was free, remember...) I never thought I would do that...

Other stuff I had laying around or came from other builds. The seat comes from my Cartboardtracker. So should I count that as 'free'? I had to replace it with another that I had laying around but it had been bought new by me, so it has cost me money. Should I add that to my bill? Same goes for the pedals... The aluminum are leftovers from my RRBBO#4-build. That has once cost me money. This year I took it out of my 'parts-box' for free, but two years ago it cost me money..

Hobbies always turn out to be expensive.

@ oxyjansen
Thanks. I too would leave that bike alone in the trash normaly speaking. Not cause it's a junkbike, but because I'm too shy to take something that doesn't belong to me. Even from the trash. But I've been searchin for a simple cheap mountainbike frame for more than a year! ('cheap' as in 2nd hand price, not cheap as in low quality!)

I love lot's of bicycles and also love mixing styles. There are a lot of cruisers going all terrain style, but not a lot of all terrain bikes going cruiser style. Also not a lot of a cruiser going roadbike style, and I'd love to do/see that. There is this thread of Deorman called 'Skinny cruiser' but there are but a few in there that really fit the bill:

Click on Deorman's Street Skinny Cruiser Thread

As I recall in prior years some bikes entered had a third straight bar added to a diamond frame or dropouts replaced. Are things along these lines still acceptable?No redesign of the original frame,just additions?Curious :? I cant leave anything alone and be satisfied with paint...or lack of.
-Kreep-

Kreep said:
As I recall in prior years some bikes entered had a third straight bar added to a diamond frame or dropouts replaced. Are things along these lines still acceptable?No redesign of the original frame,just additions?Curious :? I cant leave anything alone and be satisfied with paint...or lack of.
-Kreep-

I can think of 2 bikes this year that have modified dropouts and adding bars is kind of like adding a tank as long as the original frame stays the same it's just an accessory.

Kinda what I thought.Just making sure before I toss my hat into the ring and then the build just becomes another build that gets put on the back burner.
-Kreep-

herr_rudolf said:
@ oxyjansen
Thanks. I too would leave that bike alone in the trash normaly speaking. Not cause it's a junkbike, but because I'm too shy to take something that doesn't belong to me. Even from the trash. But I've been searchin for a simple cheap mountainbike frame for more than a year! ('cheap' as in 2nd hand price, not cheap as in low quality!)

Thus my motto, "If its free, its for me". (Should have thought of that before I spend a ton on this build!) LOL

I love lot's of bicycles and also love mixing styles. There are a lot of cruisers going all terrain style, but not a lot of all terrain bikes going cruiser style. Also not a lot of a cruiser going roadbike style, and I'd love to do/see that. There is this thread of Deorman called 'Skinny cruiser' but there are but a few in there that really fit the bill:

I do alot of searching on the net for pics, products, ideas, info, etc, and honestly, except for a few hand built bikes from the NAHBS I do not see people veering away from road bike types frames to use for road bike/race bike type builds. Fixies are insanely popular (I still can't figure out why), and there are alot of incredible color schemes, and bikes in general out there, but their still road bikes. I've seen some great builds on this site, which is partially what inspired me to get into building bikes. Joey Mac's Spaceliner "Devilwing" was probably one of the most inspiring builds for me. I have 4 Spaceliners waiting for my take on an old classic, soon to become modern classics. This is what's great about swaps if their available, as you get a diverse mix of interests, a diverse mix of parts, and can draw lots of inspiration from seeing parts as singular entities, and slowly piecing things together from there. I have tons of parts waiting to fit into a project, and its nice to have a choice of what I use. I'm really looking forward to the end of the competition when the voting gallery is in place! I think it'll be very interesting to see the final products of everyone's efforts! It not always so easy to see where things are going early on in a build, but its always interesting to see the fruits of all the hard labor!

Geeeez I'll say them darn fixies are popular. All the "COOL" kids have them here in seattle. Its so funny to see them riding up hills and having to stop half way."Silly Hipsters, Fixed gears are for Kids"LOL! I've just been puting bikes together for friends and family, but I have such a pile of frames I really need to sell them. Half the time i just end up putting them out in the trash anyways.LOL

Skrufryder said:
Geeeez I'll say them darn fixies are popular. All the "COOL" kids have them here in seattle. Its so funny to see them riding up hills and having to stop half way."Silly Hipsters, Fixed gears are for Kids"LOL! I've just been puting bikes together for friends and family, but I have such a pile of frames I really need to sell them. Half the time i just end up putting them out in the trash anyways.LOL

Heheh, but guess what 'those silly hipsters' say about adults riding bikes with wheels smaller than 26" with their knees higher than the position of the seat... Them and us are soooo different, ...and yet soooo similar in a way. :wink:

My point on the Fixies was more the danger factor with stopping than anything else! (Don't think I articulated that one very well, hands too fast for brain) LOL I just don't get direct drive, and then having to do funny things to stop! I want to stop when I want, or need to, and not have to worry about getting the rear wheel up, and possibly running my ankles thru a blender! Otherwise, I think the bikes out there look .... cool, and if you want to check out color combinations just do a Google image search on Fixie! All the colors of the rainbow, and beyond! Better than painting something and swearing at yourself for the next week, because you don't like it!

Simplicity Nut said:
Anyway, with the mention of hipsters and bikes I thought that some of you may enjoy this 30 second hipster spoof on youtube about doing track stands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD8-aef8gdA&NR=1

That's funny, I saw the first Fixed Push skating video, funny funny, but a little bad language if I remember. It was ridiculous though.

I can paint my own bikes, but have wanted to opt for Powder coating would this still qualify in Build Off?

powder coating is largly accepted as not legal in the build off to try and keep the playing field level somewhat

Simplicity Nut said:
I've been planning on having a local bike shop install a new bottom bracket for me on my old frame. Would this disqualify me from the build off?

I don't think so, but it would be a good time for you to learn how to do this.

yoothgeye said:
Simplicity Nut said:
I've been planning on having a local bike shop install a new bottom bracket for me on my old frame. Would this disqualify me from the build off?

I don't think so, but it would be a good time for you to learn how to do this.

I just finished taking the old bottom bracket out. Now I'm feeling more confident that I could put the new one in. Now I'm concerned about the size and the chain line. The crankset that I pulled of was cottered and had two chainrings. The new one will have one chainring.

Simplicity Nut said:
I just finished taking the old bottom bracket out. Now I'm feeling more confident that I could put the new one in. Now I'm concerned about the size and the chain line. The crankset that I pulled of was cottered and had two chainrings. The new one will have one chainring.

This is the best way to learn, just get your hands dirty and go for it, if you get totally stumped, then I'd go to the shop for help.

Just saw your other post. if it has a 12-speed it may require spacers and or to be recentered to have both chain and wheel properly aligned. :? Or you may be able to just stick it in there and tighten down the nuts. 8)
Good luck with that. :mrgreen:

Back