bugout/prepper aka camping bike !

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just remember, some have the square-hole with the points in-line with the crankarm; others have it with the flat in-line with the crankarm, so you might not be able to mix n match... easier to find a complete 3 piece, i reckon...

Just remember, some have the square-hole with the points in-line with the crankarm; others have it with the flat in-line with the crankarm, so you might not be able to mix n match... easier to find a complete 3 piece, i reckon...
that is what i meant , get complete crank set

anyone have an idea for a good bike to use for camping or bugging out ?
i want to buile a bike with saddle bags foe carring needed suplies
i always take my back pack on long rides
Given the title you placed with this, youre familiar with "Alice packs" or "bug out bags". I have a medium with a rack in decent condition. I think a matching pair for saddlebags would look spiff! if not keep costs down some. I think I got my whole Rig for like 40 bucks, and that was after ordering a set of quick release shoulder straps.
A solo on the back rack might even do some justice, and theres a lot to work with.
Just a thought, got one lying around for some trade if youd like.

FZ

I rebuilt an 84 mongoose ATB with 700's and it's great. Bosses front and rear for racks and a lot of versatility
6f13b7e88878cbd71903785421a31147.jpg

If you're building this with the idea of it being a bug-out bike, then you may want to consider buying a decent quality cartridge-style sealed BB for reliability's sake. Either that, or keep spare bearings and parts for that loose-ball BB in your pack, and lube the heck out of it with water-proof trailer hub grease.

With the addition of a rear rack and some of my gear, and with a change of tires, this is my camping rig:

Check out the swiss army bicycles. The older ones had a neat storage container that fit inside the triangle of the frame, as well as paniers.

One of the earliest documented Mountain Bike tours took place in 1897. The US army experimented with a small group of African Americans soldiers, known as the 25th Infantry Bicycle Corps. The objective was to test the feasibility of traveling on bikes vs horses. For 5 weeks these men rode their Spaulding bikes from Montana to Missouri. Each soldier carried roughly 60 lbs., of supplies, including a leather case, designed to fit into the diamond frame of their bikes. Inside each case were packed rations, eating utensils and a liberal supply of spare bicycle parts.

I'm thinking that the dérailleur would eventually get jacked up on a stump or something (note the fully enclosed chainline on the PC above). Maybe consider going single speed coaster or freewheel for simplicity, consider where you'll be.....not many LBSs in the middle of the woods.....just my .02.
Besides both the hub and needed crank could be sourced from a CL BMX bike.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back