bugout/prepper aka camping bike !

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone have an idea for a good bike to use for camping or bugging out ?
i want to buile a bike with saddle bags foe carring needed suplies
i always take my back pack on long rides

Best campin' bikes, hands-down, are decent quality (lbs-sourced) mtbs from the 80s and 90s. These can be had cheap on CL, typically have bosses for racks and fenders, clear dookie-fat knobby tires, and pretty much run forever. Yeah, Surly makes some rad adventure/campin' bikes (Troll, Ogre, Truckers, ECR) but a late 80s MTB with well-considered modifications will be at least 90% of what a Surly is, for a fraction of the price....

Best campin' bikes, hands-down, are decent quality (lbs-sourced) mtbs from the 80s and 90s. These can be had cheap on CL, typically have bosses for racks and fenders, clear dookie-fat knobby tires, and pretty much run forever. Yeah, Surly makes some rad adventure/campin' bikes (Troll, Ogre, Truckers, ECR) but a late 80s MTB with well-considered modifications will be at least 90% of what a Surly is, for a fraction of the price....
Yeah he has a good point surplus are pricey and there are great deals on Craigslist all day long

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So your looking for something you already have lol weren't those Panasonic bikes pretty expensive back in they're day

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
i only paid $20 from a dude thar didn't need the bike . i made the mistake od striping it down for parts , i still have the frame forks some wheels & lost the left side crank arm needes brakes & some low rise cruiser bar , derailer , shifters were old plastic thumb shifts

What crank does it have? I have a MT60 deore NDS crankarm....think it's 170mm. I'd let it go for the price of shipping.... Came off an '88 Miyata Terra runner. The drive side's spider is warped out, but the NDS is good to go....

What crank does it have? I have a MT60 deore NDS crankarm....think it's 170mm. I'd let it go for the price of shipping.... Came off an '88 Miyata Terra runner. The drive side's spider is warped out, but the NDS is good to go....
shimono dx i think , unsealed bottom bracket

anyone have an idea for a good bike to use for camping or bugging out ?
I want to pull a bike with saddle bags for carrying needed supplies, I always take my back pack on long rides

I suggest looking at some of the many online Bicycle Touring Sites for ideas, i.e., http://tomsbiketrip.com/planning-a-bike-tour/ They have a robust list of suggestions on how to, where to and when to enjoy your ride.

Back