Brooks B33 on a Cruiser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While all Brooks saddles are great I find their wannabe retro models to be tacky. Too much undercarriage and springs ruins the proportions. I prefer the cleaner look of the B-52 and use the B-17 on my own bikes.

c.p.odom said:
While all Brooks saddles are great I find their wannabe retro models to be tacky. Too much undercarriage and springs ruins the proportions. I prefer the cleaner look of the B-52 and use the B-17 on my own bikes.

i couldn't find the b52 you were talking about? what sort of bikes are you putting them on?

Sorry, the B-72 style. The loop spring style that was common on the old Raleigh 3 speeds.

I have an older B66 on my GT Dyno Duece with up-mounted cafe/clubman bars and it is nice (it has been on a number of bikes from my 1972 BSA 'Pubman' and a '67(?) Raleigh Sports light roadster. it works well with an fairly upright to a moderate lean in, though I expect the thinner Brooks models probably suit the dropbar boys. It has rear springs without the front spring and may fit your sense of style closer than the earlier style you picture. Around here they go new for about $125. Be prepared to not have a QR lest it be stolen easily (though anyone with a wrench can take it as well) and know, or learn how to care for leather.
FWIW, I would buy another one.

I have that brooks B33 on my Electra Straight 8, it's plush and "willowy-pillowy" feelin' (my girls quote). Total comfort but I must admit that it's so "suspended" that I loose that 'connected' feeling with the bike where you can add a touch of steering input or "feeling" by adjusting yer hips..it's lost when using this saddle, I also strangely sometimes feel 'off balance' with it. It looks totally 'royal' tho. If it's comfort features are what you are after, it dont get more comfy than that I think but I also have put on my Brooks B67 and find myself secretly feeling like it's the better choice for me even tho I have not put it on yet. The look of the B33 unfortunately just cant be beat.

Note: the B33 is a 'post' mounted saddle as is the B66 which looks and behaves quite similarly to the B67 which is a rail mounted saddle. I just happen to have scores of rail type seatposts hanging about.

BtW I'm 6'3" and 250lbs so I suspect someone with less mass sqooshing the saddle might have differing opinions about the 'off balance' sensation I described.

What is the widest seat brooks makes? Brooks are great saddles if you can afford them. I run Messanger seats on a lot of my bikes but then I got a bit butt.

ride to ruin said:
jwm said:
I am in the process of breaking in my Brooks B33. It went on this:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=46239

My cruiser. You won't be overly impressed with the Brooks when you first get it on your bike. Like a leather boot, it softens with wear. When the saddle was brand new I'd have given it a "B-" (sore tail after 20+ miles). Now it's up to a solid "A" (no sore tail after 40+ miles). I've spoken to other folks who have the B33 on their bikes. They tell me it just keeps getting better. I am happy with it, and it was worth every cent. It is a perfect saddle for a cruiser. And it looks bad as all get out!

JWM

that does look beep! nice bike! yeah i must admit when i felt it i was like how is this going to be more comfortable than my current seat, so now i know what to expect, kinda like wearing a good pair of leather boots! your springer looks good to, is that just a stock felt springer or have you modified for the bike, looks different than the stock ones i've seen.

Thanks for the kind words on the Dragonfly bike. The springer is the stock item from Felt. The rockers usually sit toe down on a bike, but the Moto 7 frame has a long fork head. That moves the rockers level, or even slightly toe up. It doesn't affect the amount of travel. Actually, the steer tube on the Felt fork was close to being too short. It all fit, though.

JWM

LowpowerD said:
Hey man, don't let the LBS get you down. Go for it.
x2...all for supporting a LBS but your vision is yours....if YOU like it that is the MOST important ingredient...individual style adds more depth than any other factor...

the b135 is nice also..

brooks135.jpg

moto_0259.jpg

on a Schwinn just get a Wald 940 or 945 seatpost and you will be good to go. PM me and I will give you where to purchase forabout 50 + bucks off....every saddle.... :mrgreen:

As mentioned above, just choose what feels right. I have a black Brooks B73 on my Autum Minion (2nd picture) and I love it, not as wide as a B33 but also awesomely comfy to ride on. If you dont want a saddle too long or wide try the B73. I just got a Felt Little Bast*rd with a honey B33 on and it just looked wrong to me (way too long and way too wide) but as I said before each to their own, thats the main thing, there is no wrong choice.

I have the B33 on eBAY UK and instead want a Brooks saddle similar to the Felt one it orginally came with and I have ordered it, a Brooks Team Pro Van Ltd Edition. I think it will suit and if my *ss gets sore I can always swap it with my B73 :D

http://www.brooksengland.com/catalogue- ... +duty/B73/
http://www.brooksengland.com/catalogue- ... +Pro+Vans/

BrooksTeamProVans1.png

310.jpg

Yes the B-190 is the biggest, heavy duty saddle Brooks makes. I have a big tail the B-190 is best for big butt boys. Expensive, need to get past the "Break In Period" after that..........it's like a butt hammock! Nothing like it! 3 out of 4 of my bike has a B-190. Go for it, you'll love it. :D

ride to ruin said:
outskirtscustoms said:
What is the widest seat brooks makes? Brooks are great saddles if you can afford them. I run Messanger seats on a lot of my bikes but then I got a bit butt.

i think it's the b190? what are messenger seats?

http://www.brooksengland.com/catalogue-and-shop/saddles/city+&+heavy+duty/B190/

Back