boardtrack races

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry if there has been a thread like this in the past...

from what I understand the board track races were outlawed in the early 1900s after an accident killed several people, and while the accident was a tragedy the premise of the sport is undeniably exciting! my question is why hasnt this sport been brought back? even if it didnt make a huge come-back I could see a ton of people getting excited over the prospect of a race being organized.

davy B said:

from what I understand the board track races were outlawed in the early 1900s after an accident killed several people, and while the accident was a tragedy the premise of the sport is undeniably exciting! my question is why hasnt this sport been brought back? even if it didnt make a huge come-back I could see a ton of people getting excited over the prospect of a race being organized.

Why, you ask? Can you imaginge crashing and getting an 18 inch Pine splinter through your face. Dirt track is dangerous enough. Riders die every year doing that.

davy B said:

Boardtrack races were killed off due numerous accidents with motorcycles and cars. Deaths for driver's and spectators were very common. The upkeep of the tracks was another thing that made them obsolete. The biggest track was about a mile long, and you can only imagine the amount of upkeep on a track that big made of wood. With that said, I would love to see one built, even if indoors.

Looking at the pics below, its easy to see why it was unsafe: low, wooden guardrails, leather helmets, racing convertibles with no roll cages and the windshields laid down!-lol You would never get insurance to operate one of these today.

board+track_jpg+%25281000x769%2529.jpg

12.jpg

70+mph+board+track.JPG

350px-Laurel_Board_Track_Race_Jul_11_1925.jpg

repairs.JPG

rep.JPG

The cars in this pic were said to be running nearly 140 MPH. This was a track in bad need of reboarding. Can you imagine? 140 MPH! :shock:

rough+boards.JPG

Tacoma Speedway was 2 miles long. A driver once said of the track
"You used to get hit with some terrific blocks and knots of wood. We all came in with pieces of wood bigger than kitchen matches driven into our face and foreheads. They'd go in, hit the bone and then spread out. Then you had to remove them, of course. Tacoma was worse. You had the splinters and knots and all, but to save on lumber they had spaced out the 2x4s and caulked them with some mixture of tar and crushed rock. When Tacoma began to go it was like a meteor shower."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tacoma_Speedway

boardtrack-racing-tacoma2.png

davy B said:

Conditions were different in that era--specifically the conditions of roads.

Back during that time, central city streets were made of laid brick. Secondary streets in cities were mostly gravel, and most country roads were left as plain dirt roads. Major "highways" were gravel as well. Materials like concrete and asphalt were well-known and they were used in particular locations that had to have a hard surface for vehicles to move on, but they were far too expensive to use for building entire streets with.

Car and motorcycle engines improved to the point that the engines could move the vehicles faster than you could safely drive on any roads, because the road surfaces weren't ever smooth enough to allow the high speeds. Concrete and asphalt couldn't be produced just anywhere, they had to be mined where the ingredient materials existed naturally and then transported over land to the site where they would be used--and this was the era of only two kinds of land transportation: trains and horse-drawn carts. The train tracks didn't go through every town and horse-drawn carts couldn't transport much heavy weight over unimproved roads very well.

So people got the idea of building wooden tracks for racing on. Back then wood was very cheap and plentiful over most of the USA, and the labor to make it into a track was fairly cheap as well. MOST of the continent had to be cleared of trees before it could be farmed, and back then there was still a lot of trees left most places. The wooden tracks were far smoother than dirt or gravel would have been, but still still far less cost than building tracks out of concrete or asphalt, since the wood was usually available locally. (-Or at the least, you could find wood a lot easier than you could find all the stuff to make concrete or asphalt...)

THAT was the reason that they used wooden tracks..... And that was the reason that people came to the races. These races were the ONLY place you could regularly see a vehicle traveling at 100+ MPH. Other than the salt flats, there just wasn't anywhere else to do it that was flat enough.

------

Note that during this time period, city sidewalks were usually made of wood also for basically the same reasons. The wooden sidewalks would stay smoother than dirt or gravel, but still cost much less than sidewalks made of asphalt or concrete.

You could run similar races today but using a genuine-wooden-track would be something of a waste. Asphalt would probably end up being way cheaper. Modern indoor bicycle velodromes are still made of wood, but only because it is cheaper than asphalt or concrete IF it is indoors and sheltered from the weather.

bike2112 said:
I'm all for board track races. Please see Isle of Man TT for my justifications.

Yup, open road motorcycle racing has somehow survived since motorcycles were invented. And watching the TT is insanely cool.

search "vintage boardtrack racing" on youtube. there is a set of videos from the early 1900s from some guy from the Czech Republic that was visiting Daytona. Look at the speeds they could hit then imagine the surface of the track and add in the limited safety gear and you can see why it was shut down.

Latest posts

Back