Bo11 Weevil

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just finished up another ride, and they loosened up again. The lockwasher is good, so it's the cheap metal races bending I think. I'll adjust them again and give it one more chance.
DSCI0181 - Copy.JPG

Bigger front smaller rear would fit your build well....
I've seen a few bikes with larger front tires lately. It that just a trend or does it serve a purpose? I might change them to get a little lower first gear by going 1.90 on the rear.

Well, it's back to the bike shop for a new set of cranks of better quality, or an adapter to 3 piece set. I have a feeling they have neither, but I'll find out tomorrow.
The bearings and races were all useless with metal shavings everywhere. When I tried to tighten them a little, the adjuster ran out of threads and was hanging loose against the bearings! I had an extra washer on the sprocket side to boot. It should have had plenty of threads. But it was shot anyway. Sheesh!
DSCI0189.JPG

Bummer, can't believe it would just disintegrate. Wow. Good luck.

To be sure, I checked the width of the bb. It's 65mm. From what I've read, 68mm is the standard, but Schwinns also used a 65mm bb, so some of the adapters use a washer on either side to make up the difference. It's possible the adjuster on mine was at the end of the threads and had a little wobble to it which led to the wear. On a new set of cranks, I'll just add one more washer to the sprocket side to make up the 3 mm.
Or maybe it was low quality from China.

DSCI0197.JPG
Well, all that's available here is more of the same, so I picked up another set of cranks and bearings. This also gives me an extra washer to use for spacing for the threads. I've got an extra crank now, but it may see use later on sometime. Both washers went inside the chain ring so it would contact the drive pin. Luckily, the chain line still is good. They seem to work fine, I'll try it out tomorrow.
DSCI0193.JPG

Last edited:
I copied your pic of "new" crank and blew it up.
china crank.jpg
Looks to me like bearing cone is defective - surface where ball bearings ride should be smooth like picture I added on right.

They are all the same, I looked at a few of them at the shop to get the best one. :rofl:
If this one craps out, I'll have to find an old bike with a good set of one piece cranks and transfer them over. Back in the states I could get an old set that was rusty and make it last for a couple years.

Ya, If they all the bearing cones look like that they are all bad. Maybe they missed a finishing operation at the factory.

I had one I put on my sidecar bike a year or two ago. Same thing back then too, it needed adjusted every time I went for a ride. I think they are all substandard.
sidecar3 005.JPG

I had one I put on my sidecar bike a year or two ago. Same thing back then too, it needed adjusted every time I went for a ride. I think they are all substandard.
View attachment 27336
you have to tight the (sproket side bearing cup)and(lock nut) very hard .. tight the bearings harder than needed , put the lock nut tightly over that and hamer the bearing cone back a little till the crank spins alright :wink1:

you have to tight the (sproket side bearing cup)and(lock nut) very hard .. tight the bearings harder than needed , put the lock nut tightly over that and hamer the bearing cone back a little till the crank spins alright :wink1:

I also use your method of tightening the adjusting cone, every time. That insures the locknut is tight. As long as the tab on the washer is good, there will be no loosening of the bearings except by wear. Must be soft metal they uses in these cheap ones.

I copied your pic of "new" crank and blew it up.View attachment 27333 Looks to me like bearing cone is defective - surface where ball bearings ride should be smooth like picture I added on right.

The surface is smooth, it's just the lube that makes it look like it's rough.

I have FPO direct mail through the military as I am a retiree, but restricted to only 1 lb maximum weight. The post office here in the Philippines is unreliable and add high fees to receive your packages after they have already had postage paid. So I have to get my parts here. In Manila they have all the latest stuff, but that's a 8 hour drive there and back. I'm hoping the big bike shop here has upgraded. They've been closed for almost a month doing inventory. I'll be there to check out any new stuff as soon as they open.

Sometimes when new stuff is substandard, I look for old parts. Maybe you can "scrounge" old cones that are made better?

I'm hoping to find a junk frame with an old heavy duty set of cranks. I'll check the junk man again tomorrow, that's where I found my frame.

maybe its the walls of the BB the problem ? sometimes the inner edge is to sharp (no bevel) and the cups have a slighty rounded edge .. this makes the cups not perfectly seated and only slowly makes its place when riding

got that happening on my build too ^ , i rectified the bb edges and did not bevel the inner edge , the cups wont go all the way in even with hamering , but after my test ride it loosen up and seem to go in further

i have i hard time believing the lower quality beating cups/cones are the issue , i always used them without any issues , maybe tightning it once after the first ride at most

Last edited:
Back