Bo11 Weevil

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The plan is to use 1/2 tubing and hope they can put sharp bends in them without kinking. Then I'd like to integrate a drop stand that will swing up and fit into the rear of the rack, held by a magnet. That will take a lot of engineering, so the rack will get done first.
True stainless isn't magnetic. Bring a magnet and check it first. Great idea for a rack to build.

True stainless isn't magnetic. Bring a magnet and check it first. Great idea for a rack to build.
I never knew stainless isn't magnetic. Maybe a clip to hold it up out of the way instead.
s-l300.jpg

I stopped and scoped out a little bike shop on the other side of town. No pedal straps, everyone uses clipless according to them, but they had a 40 tooth chain wheel that will work. Now my gear inches are 55 and 75. Second kicks in at 65 rpm of the cranks so that's just about right and it's low enough in first to go on the beach and off road on trails. I had to reverse the cog to get the chain lined up just right. I went ahead and ordered pedal straps from the local mail order place. I still want extra pull in both gears. I'm working in the kitchen again, too hot outside.

DSCI0176.JPG

its good to see you care about performance , good positioning and proper gearing to make it a great ride :thumbsup:

I never knew stainless isn't magnetic. Maybe a clip to hold it up out of the way instead.
View attachment 25454
i read about it and there are not such thing as (True stainless) really just 2 different kind (composition/arrangement) one is , one is not magnetic , all that i personally came across were magnetic , but good thing to confirm with a magnet ... i learned something today thanks !:)

i read about it and there are not such thing as (True stainless) really just 2 different kind (composition/arrangement) one is , one is not magnetic , all that i personally came across were magnetic , but good thing to confirm with a magnet ... i learned something today thanks !:)
There are many different types of stainless...

Luke.

I should of chose a better term than true. High quality stainless is generally non magnetic and lower quality is magnetic. Its due to the alloys that are used. Also if you do not want it to kink when you bend it fill it with another solid rod first. If that isn't possible I have heard sand could work in a pinch. Also I think it may break or crack during the bending process. I always cringe when I have to drill form or use any fasteners that are stainless.

If the lower quality stainless is magnetic, then I'm pretty sure that's what they will sell me. My stainless grill I had made a couple years ago is showing some rust!

I'm not a metallurgist, but the magnetic stainless I've come across is only mildly magnetic.

I have another idea for a dropstand. I have an old one that uses a spring to go up when the bike is rolled forward. I'd like to somehow use that spring mechanism to do that with this stand, but have it rotate up enough to butt up against the rear rack. It has a 90 degree travel normally, I need it go about 180 degrees.
This is what it looks like.
dropstand.jpg

its good to see you care about performance , good positioning and proper gearing to make it a great ride :thumbsup:

I have to, I'll be considered a senior citizen this year, here in the Philippines. Every little bit helps.

i had spare time this morning , i draw-up a 180d stand with spring idea , but i think you would still need the clip , but it would fold up automatically ..
could not help my self :oops::p

orange and baige = spring and spring pivots
Back and gray = stand and stand pivot
blue = stopper bolts
Untitled_zpskbqkdmp4.png

It'll be like a giant mousetrap!:rofl: I like it!

I think I can mount it to the rack brace so the axle nuts can serve as stops when it's down. Then just roll forward and Snap! it's up. That way the rear wheel can be removed without removing any braces. The rack will mount to the frame, not the axle.

It'll be like a giant mousetrap!:rofl: I like it!

I think I can mount it to the rack brace so the axle nuts can serve as stops when it's down. Then just roll forward and Snap! it's up. That way the rear wheel can be removed without removing any braces. The rack will mount to the frame, not the axle.
mouse rod bikes :)

On the stainless steels...it isn't a quality distinction between magnetic and not-so-magnetic (all stainless is magnetic to some degree). It is just different applications for the most part. Most 'non'-magnetic stainless steels can become magnetic through cold-working/hardening or welding.

Jason

I'm going to check on the ss tubing tomorrow to see how much it costs. In the meantime, I'm going to try a set of apes to see how I like the look and ride. I found a parking brake thing I made awhile back and tried it on. I might get a beefier brake for it, it looks flimsy with that brake. Maybe a better handle also.

DSCI0184.JPG

Either this bike is huge or that's a tiny car! o_O
13453365_1151743514847118_421239511_o (1).jpg

I took an hour ride trying out the apes on the Subic Freeport Zone, where it's relatively safe to ride. It needed a few adjustments but I didn't have my tools so I rode gently. The cranks loosened up like the cheap ones always do. If it doesn't stay adjusted after this, I may go to an adapter for 3 piece cranks. I like the ride the apes gave so they may stay. I was looking around the shops here and saw a lot of bamboo, maybe I'll use that instead of stainless for a rack. Or use both.

Either this bike is huge or that's a tiny car! o_O
View attachment 26803
I took an hour ride trying out the apes on the Subic Freeport Zone, where it's relatively safe to ride. It needed a few adjustments but I didn't have my tools so I rode gently. The cranks loosened up like the cheap ones always do. If it doesn't stay adjusted after this, I may go to an adapter for 3 piece cranks. I like the ride the apes gave so they may stay. I was looking around the shops here and saw a lot of bamboo, maybe I'll use that instead of stainless for a rack. Or use both.
I hear what you're saying, I recently re-did BB's on a 29" Mongoose and a 26" Next and after 10 miles they both had significant play and had to be tightened a lot. Then after another 10 mi or so the needed another slight adjustment. Now they seem to be good. :rofl:

Back