BMX Cruiser Build,...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a Free Spirit Cross Town 26"er last weekend, got it cheap, wheels and tires were shot but frame and fork was excellent. As soon as I saw it I could tell there was a BMX cruiser hidden under there. It's Murray built with a serial dated 02/24/93, made in good ole Lawrenceville TN. I stripped it down and removed all the faded decals, dusted a little flat black on there for the time being. The frame has a decal that says "Herculite Micro Alloy, Lighter and Stronger" I'd be interested to know what that is all about, I can vouch for it being pretty tough as the quill stem wedge was frozen in place and after soaking it down good, I backed the bolt out about an inch or so and wacked it a few good times with a hammer, that last lick it deflected off and nailed the top tube, my heart sank. I looked down and the decal was rolled back about an inch but no dent at all on the top tube at all, even after completely stripping decals off and spraying black on it, it's as if it never happened. I put a different everything on it, different fork, new chrome coaster wheels, Kenda K-Rad 2.3 tires, FMF race seat with Redline bars with a Dyno inverted stem and Redline pedals, Porkchop 39T sprocket, 18T in the rear. Bike rides awesome and is actually pretty light considering, really nice frame welds, even the rear drops are welded, and it takes a 25.4 seatpost. Once I figure out the color I want it in I'm gonna have it professionally powder coated. Here are the image links, can't get them to post automatically on the site. Thanks to LTJ for posting up my pics below!

Last edited:
Cool looking bike!

22932601260_02f72e24ac.jpg

22860463129_531fd7b9b5_z.jpg

23228411095_3080a0a7cf_z.jpg

(I could not get any links to work either, so I saved them, and uploaded them to my Flickr account...)

Luke.

Thanks Luke! I also Appreciate ya putting up the pics!:41:

Back