Blue Bonnie

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1st there was Black Betty
P7110049.jpg

I found her on the side of the road and rebuilt her in about two weeks earlier this summer. Her story is found here
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18061
I enjoyed the build so much I decided to build another :wink:
Before
P8070031.jpg

P8070032.jpg

After
P8180014.jpg

P8180015.jpg

I think I better have clean hands to use the white leather grips! :lol:
Before
P8070030.jpg

After
P8180010.jpg

P8180011.jpg

This was the third paint job on the chainguard. Orignally after I stripped it the first time it was painted Chevy Engine Block Orange and I was going to paint blue flames on it, but I didn't like the color. So I painted it in Blue and White checks that were 3/4" in size. Took me 6 hours to mask off and paint. It looked good, then when I was putting the finishing clear coat, I grabbed the White Gloss by mistake :x Had to start over again, this time I chose an easier 2" Blue and White squares...liked it muy bueno 8)

Blue Bonnie cont...
Before
P8070037.jpg

Gunky!
P8070038.jpg

After
P8180012.jpg

P8180013.jpg

Kind of based the whole theme on the tires. Saw them in Fleetwood's KitKat and really, really liked them and he had a rental bike that I really liked but thought I could improve upon his idea :wink:
Before, or rather what the bike looked like after I had torn everything down and forgotten to take real "before" pics :oops:
P8070026.jpg

After...coming soon :p

Looks good . I saw a guy on that indestructables site that did checks using those white 2'' stickers. They come on sheets and you get them in vinyl too. You can paint a base color and then stick them all on and shoot the other color. Your paint scheme looks really good. Its nice to see something outside the norm. :lol:

Uncle Stretch said:
Looks good . I saw a guy on that indestructables site that did checks using those white 2'' stickers. They come on sheets and you get them in vinyl too. You can paint a base color and then stick them all on and shoot the other color. Your paint scheme looks really good. Its nice to see something outside the norm. :lol:
Doh! I used masking tape and laboriously measured each and every piece w/ a metal "square" to make sure it was square :x :lol: Well, I guess I'll use that idea for the next bike :roll:

dragsterIII said:
next build I so doing checkers, were did you get those tires?
Fleetwood's KitKat....they don't have a phone number but they do have emai. They're here in Dallas, have a "boutique" store for cruisers. Very cool to look at...expensive bikes though :shock: Here's their link ...
http://www.fleetwoodskitkat.com/
Tires ran me about $42 for the set. Well worth it.

really cool!! did you unlace the wheels to paint them? Its kill me, I want to paint mine but im scared that once i take em apart they wont come back together the right way ... and bike shop wants to much to lace em back together.

Pawel said:
really cool!! did you unlace the wheels to paint them? Its kill me, I want to paint mine but im scared that once i take em apart they wont come back together the right way ... and bike shop wants to much to lace em back together.
I masked the spokes w/ green masking tape. Then sanded the rims, etched them w/ Bulldog metal etcher. Then I primed w/ Dupli-color White, masked off the white w/ blue masking tape and sprayed w/ the blue color. then clear-coated the whole thing. :wink:

StepChld said:
Pawel said:
I masked the spokes w/ green masking tape. Then sanded the rims, etched them w/ Bulldog metal etcher. Then I primed w/ Dupli-color White, masked off the white w/ blue masking tape and sprayed w/ the blue color. then clear-coated the whole thing. :wink:

looks great man! after looking over my rims last night Im gonna do the same, theres enough room there to get a piece of sand paper in to sand so I wont have to take apart the rim.

UncleKudzu said:
does the sanding and etching under discussion take off chrome?
Not that I've noticed, but I always sand thoroughly and then etch w/Bulldog. And always clearcoat after it's all painted :D

Chekers, I´m so doing checkers next, probably with read primer, oh yeah I see it...
Great job so far, very nice colour combo.

Ok, she's mostly done but finances with a teacher's salary sometimes means some projects get put on hold until "She who must be obeyed' releases some more funds in a few weeks :wink:
Blue Bonnie needs a white leather seat, not the brown one (although that cheap brown WalMart seat really is pretty comfy!) and she needs some blue anodized valve caps and perhaps a chrome bullet headlamp to finish her off. :p
P8260001.jpg

P8260002.jpg

P8260003.jpg

P8260006.jpg

The "V-Twins" (cantilever frames :p )
P8260008.jpg

P8260010.jpg

I need to take a ride to a bteer location to take some pics w/ decent views but that will have to wait until I have more time...maybe this weekend. :roll:

I have those tires in Red on my cruiser and they roll awesome. Great choice. I was thinking about doing a blue bike as well just cause I like those tires so much. Your ride is sick and the checks set it off great. Killer build...

Latest posts

Back