Bike for mom - Western Flyer style

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this at a LBS a couple of months ago for Mother's Day. I had asked my mom if she wanted a bike and she said, "I want a Pee-Wee Herman bike". Well, this isn't Red and it doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles, but I did my best to fancy it up a bit. Thanks to you guys for giving me the knowledge to take it apart and put it back together.

Before pic:
P6290407B.jpg

Planned additions:
P6290418B.jpg

Preparing to start:
P6290422B.jpg

Disassembly:
P6300430B.jpg

Look what I found in the tank:
P6290427B.jpg

Something leaked from the head tube onto the front and the tank.
P7010437B.jpg

Any ideas how to clean up the rust on the tank and head tube neatly?

I'll post more later. It'd be no fun if I put it all in one post...

Rich

If the rust has damaged the paint, probably nothing will help besides new paint. You can always try car wax, rubbing compound or wd-40.

Should be a fun project. Good job keeping your mom happy.

Clancy,

Thanks for the ideas. Yeah, it ate away the paint. Not sure what they had in the headtube that was that corrosive but it did some damage...

HotDoggin, Just yesterday I was helping a friend on his Triumph motorcycle.

One of the chrome exhaust pipes had some stains like oil dripped and burned. Didnt come off with steel wool and wd-40. Look up further and the battery overflow tube was out of place and leaked on the chrome. Permanent damage. Maybe an old battery operated light leaked onto the frame and tank.

Clancy

I have had really good luck doing paint restoration with chrome polish...seems to work best for me.

Here's a pic of the finished product. Still have a mirror and a basket to add(if mom wants) but it's clean and rideable in time for vacation...

P7080443B.jpg

I am having an issue with the rear hub being a little wobbly. Don't know if it's because I bought a set of inexpensive wheels or if I accidentally loosened it up somehow? Really need to have the wheels trued too, as they have a little wiggle also. Makes keeping the rubber off the fenders a little challenging.

Thanks for the tips and the comments!

I just noticed the seat. Please post a close up pic as it looks cool and different.

You did quite a bit to this bike. Blue chain, Stingray chainwheel, streamers, horn and dice caps. nice job.

Clancy, you have some good eyes my man. The seat, rear rack, hand grips, pedals, and tires were all reasons I couldn't pass on this bike. Too many neat things on one complete package. Here's a pic that shows most of these in pretty good detail. The seat and grips have sparkles in the blue. Hand grips are original with WF in the mold.

P6290409B.jpg

Your mom wants a chainguard.

You can adjust the play out of the rear hub, and adjust the spokes, give it a try.

The battery leak is from the horn. That bike had to have been hanging from its rear wheel.
P7010437B.jpg

Larry said:
The battery leak is from the horn. That bike had to have been hanging from its rear wheel.

Above I figured it was from something mounted to the handlebars and dripped down. But you are exactly right. Sometimes I need to think outside the box.

if the axle turned when you tightened the rear rim up, it may have loosened the internals up. Take it back apart and snug 'em up and you should be fine...and I think I heard your Mom say she wanted a chainguard too!! :D :D :D

Larry/Mark,

You guys been hanging around my mom, or what? First thing she said tonight when I was showing her the bike(with chain guard in hand), "I want a chain guard". Well, I cleaned it up and slapped in on and Mom now has a chain guard.

Thanks for your ideas and feedback. Much appreciated. Now off to vacation a bit.

Take care,
Rich

Latest posts

Back